PDA

View Full Version : Do instruction hours count towards JAR ATPL upgrade requirements?

SA Brit
13th Sep 2010, 16:17
I have been left a bit confused after an reply from the caa.

Additionally, it is not possible to count instructional time towards the 1500 hour experience requirement for a JAR ATPL. However, flying experience hours can be counted towards the 1500 total.

Yours sincerely

Licensing Technical Support Officer
Licensing & Training Policy
UK Civil Aviation Authority

I was under the impression that hours logged as the instructor were as PIC. So surely then, the hours gained as instructor can be used to meet some of the requirements of a JAR ATPL, that is, the PIC hours.

Or am i just confused??

BigGrecian
13th Sep 2010, 18:17
A bit of an incomplete picture above - what instructional hours are you referring to you?

tony2F
13th Sep 2010, 18:37
Ground instruction rather than flight me thinks..........

SA Brit
13th Sep 2010, 19:15
I am referring to hours of flight instruction given by myself.

I suspect that the email from the caa, as SoCal App suggests is referring to the hours of flight instruction received, ie, 'dual'.

Ryan5252
13th Sep 2010, 20:37
They are referring to entries in your logbook as P/UT i.e. you are a pilot under instruction. Not P1 entries where you were the instructor

Shunter
14th Sep 2010, 06:25
Sounds like you've had a response from someone who has absolutely no idea what they're talking about. Providing you meet the subset of ATPL requirements (500hrs multi-crew, 250hrs P1, 200hrs XC, 75hrs instrument, 30hrs night etc) the other hours can be anything and everything. Provided you were in an appropriate aeroplane (ie. no flying tents) and logging the flight in some legitimate capacity, they're all good.

Whilst I only have around 500hrs I meet all those requirements except for the multi-crew which realistically you'll never get without working for an airline (or paying to work for an airline if you're one of the desperate sorts with money to burn).

Do PUT hours count? Of course they do. If you've done a PPL, CPL, IR and FI then you'd be mighty miffed at being 200hrs short for your ATPL issue. They count towards an ATPL just like they count towards any other license.

Read this:
http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=175&pagetype=90&pageid=4462