PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire BBC R4 Play

FAN BLADE
13th Sep 2010, 15:40
I have just listened to the BBC Radio 4 play "Spitfire" which was transmitted in the UK last Saturday on BBC iPlayer and it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. The sound quality is excellent and if you listen in surround sound the Merlin just mellows around the room. Being ex BBMF groundcrew in the 1970's, this program had an impact on me and as my late farther was an engine fitter on both Spitfire and Hurricane Sqn's during WW2 it brought the meanings of those hard times home.

I may be not as old as Beagle, but our paths have crossed, being ex RAF groundcrew, BWSS in sunny Cyprus 1972 - 1974 and also the last Avon and Spey Rep with a well known UK engineering company which next year will see 25 years of my loyal service and a and total of 41 years in avaition. To me, the comments on this web site are sometimes funny, hard hitting and from the jurnos and flight sim anoraks stupid, but hey, as we always do, enjoy ourselves. :D:D:D

airsound
15th Sep 2010, 18:51
Fanblade, I listened too, and the sounds were fantastic, just as you describe. It was one of those Radio 4 pieces of brilliance, a bit like 'Bomber'.

The Beeb can still do it when it tries - as also witness the fact that they broadcast 'First Light' for 1hr and 20 mins on prime time Beeb 2.

As someone who feels deeply connected to the B of B, I'm very happy that people still care.

airsound