PDA

View Full Version : Heroes Concert

Hueymeister
12th Sep 2010, 20:50
Just watching on the Beeb, simply awesome, would have donated bodyparts to go, but the tickets for 4 of us would have been the best part of £300, so I would have needed to sell some to go anyway. Guys, great idea, but why so expensive?:\:{

Mikeyb59
12th Sep 2010, 21:06
I agree very pricey but amazing all the same.

ukcds
13th Sep 2010, 07:07
I suppose it's all relative in what your willing to pay, but standing tickets started at fifty five of her majesty's pounds and for seating sixty of those said pounds, pricey well doors opened at 2.30pm concert started at 5pm finished at about 10pm. good performances by Sir Tom and others and all in a good cause. Most London gigs in the O2 or Wembley will cost about fifty quid just for 2 hours so not that pricey. unless you paid the extra to stand up the front.

Jabba_TG12
13th Sep 2010, 07:32
Unfortunately, this is where the money is these days for artists and their remora-like supporting industry professionals. Dont be surprised when the DVD comes out and you end up getting stiffed twenty quid for that as well.

Quite how many of yesterdays line up gave their time and efforts for free, for charity, I'm not altogether sure, although I can think of maybe one or two who might have. The rest, I would venture would have taken a cut of some sort. What Bryn Parry's guys actually get in the end from the proceeds once the various "me too's" have taken their munches out of the gate revenue remains to be seen.

There is another one being planned - one that was starting to be planned before this one appeared, but has had some organisational erm, difficulties, being run by a current serving army officer, which is scheduled for 2012 (as it stands at the moment) - you can find more details at www.honourourtroops.org.uk. The acts that are affiliated with this (so far) have significant service connections and few big name acts have been approached yet, but theres still quite a way to go.

I'm sure they'd welcome the support of the PPruner's. :ok:

BOAC
13th Sep 2010, 07:34
Did Jack Dee MEAN he refused to go on tour as he was 'frightened'? My liking for him could plummet - cf the interview with James Blunt and Katherine Jenkins.

Wycombe
13th Sep 2010, 08:54
Watched it on the box (couldn't justify the expense of taking the whole family, even though it was for HfH), good show from Robbie, but did anyone else notice the on-stage "pill-popping"?....would he really be that stupid? Does he care?

Al R
13th Sep 2010, 09:12
Mardy old man that I am, I have said before, that nothing goes out of fashion quicker than fashion and these events provide a useful barometer of public opinion for the g'ment. The danger of Forces Overload is that once the g'ment perceives that the public has had enough and is starting to switch off, it can consider doing until recently anyway, the unthinkable and review Forces/Veterans benefits that have been, for the past few years, inviolate.

Such is the long term danger of linking our sense of national responsibility with Robbie feckin' Williams.. and that is why we need to embrace soon, once again, the Royal British Legion as well as launching ourselves headlong at Help for Heroes and the plethora of other (well meaning) causes, which don't have the same timeless resolution. Both styles complement each other, but we must not have an either/or approach.

Al R
13th Sep 2010, 09:44
RA,

I did say that there wasn't an either/or approach. Help for Heroes is great; it achieves something in a modern and appealing way - it has no corporate or political baggage and it is light enough on its feet, and sufficiently commercially nimble to do what RBL could never do.

But, soon, there will come a time when even you might be an old crusty, talking about the past. Those old crusties were once people like you don't forget - it doesn't make them any less valid or what they can do any less valid.

Every generation likes to make its own mark, and make something its own - and Help for Heroes is the vehicle that allows today's military to do that (justifiably, given the effort it puts in). But despite that, that is why we have to make the effort to resist having our heads turned by one current shiny attraction and fixating too much on one way of doing business.

pasir
13th Sep 2010, 10:08
... Only watched first few minutes then switched over - so probably
not qualified to comment - coincidently to view the life story of
Vera Lynn - hence qualifying as an old duffer. The two programmes
emphasised the chasm between the generations and how tastes have changed - but I doubt any of last nights performers will be remembered or revered should they reach the age of 95 - with or without Vera Lynn's OBE in recognition of her services to troops of the forgotten 14th Army in Burma.

oldpax
13th Sep 2010, 10:09
As an "Old Duffer"I would just like to say not all of us are in the "British Legion "and its a long time since I met any one of my era to reminise about our "In theatre"experiences . It would be interesting to see who would volunteer for an "Ensa"type concert tour of Afghanistan!!Services of volunteers free of course as they used to be!!

newswatcher
13th Sep 2010, 10:09
I understand that the acts waived their fees. ;)

Not sure I agree with the "Heroes" site that it would be hosted by "....the best of the UK’s comedy talent", IMHO this part of the concert did not shine!:hmm:

Also, thought the concert was about the Heroes. Therefore could have done with less of the "Robbie and Gary have made up" lovefest.

Was surprised that I enjoyed Enrique's performance!:O

Overall not a patch on Live Earth(Wembley - 07/07/07)!

Don't forget the Coventry Airport "Fly-in" on 26th September! Keep fingers crossed that XH558 appears!

sprucemoose
13th Sep 2010, 12:30
I only saw a bit on the telly, but was glad that we decided to see Muse at Wembley on Friday; I certainly wouldn't have swapped my ticket for the likes of The Saturdays, good cause or not!!
Wycombe, be ashamed for even suggesting that Robbie was popping something other than a mint!

caligula
13th Sep 2010, 13:25
I went to this. Bit pricey but figured it was for a good cause. Brilliant night out. Great acts, some genuinely emotional moments (and I don't mean Robbie and Gary!), and some hit and miss comedy. I understand it raised a stack of money and was probably one of higher profile H4H events with implicit raising awareness for HMF.

It's difficult to understand some of the criticism on here. You didn't have to go, and you didn't have to watch it, but if you did go, you'll know it was brilliant and you gave money to a great cause. What's not to like?

dkh51250
13th Sep 2010, 15:36
However, todays old duffers are working hand in glove with H4H on some amazing projects which will benefit tomorrows old duffers, the needs of which will be significantly different to current requirements.

Both organisations websites show what is being done and what is being planned.:ok: