PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire Up Close

tarantonight
12th Sep 2010, 17:49
Two seat Spitfire out of Colerne today, must have been 30 minutes of touch and goes before lunch and then more PM, had to leave so did not see full afternoon even.

As luck would have it I was within two hundred yards of the end of the runway, so had a perfect, once in a lifetime - probably - view of the beast.

The sound and sight were magnificent.

If you happen to be reading this sir, many thanks. I won't forget that in a long time.

TN.:D

Tankertrashnav
12th Sep 2010, 19:08
If you happen to be reading this sir, many thanks

More likely madam!

Coincidentally just seen David Jason being flown by Carolyn Grace in her Spitfire on his Battle of Britain programme tonight.

Interesting programme, with plenty of credit given to the ground crews, WAAF plotters, Observer Corps etc, but as usual no mention of the Blenheims with their Observers and Air gunners, which was a pity.

Was looking for Geoffrey Wellum, but he's such a celebrity these days maybe they couldn't afford him ;)

green granite
12th Sep 2010, 19:23
Was looking for Geoffrey Wellum, but he's such a celebrity these days maybe they couldn't afford him

Probably too busy working for the Beeb on "First Light".

That was indeed a very good programme by David Jason. (and only one reference to DB.)

BEagle
12th Sep 2010, 19:24
The ITV programme was exceptionally good, I thought. A good compromise between airborne shots, interview pieces to camera and library clips.

David Jason was the perfect link man for this production.

What a shame that ITV had to include those ba$tard 'coming up next' inserts over the credit roll....:mad:

ITV is normally pretty average cr@p. But emphatically not so on this occasion....:ok:

Downwind.Maddl-Land
12th Sep 2010, 19:38
Aye, a good programme but - once again - no mention of the 3rd single-engined fighter of the BofB, the Defiant, whose crews suffered grievous losses, especially 141 Sqn.....

Standby!
12th Sep 2010, 19:59
Spitfire at Colerne :: Spitfire064small.jpg picture by Standby2 - Photobucket (http://s1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff488/Standby2/Spitfire%20at%20Colerne/?action=view&current=Spitfire064small.jpg)

Spitfire at Colerne :: Spitfire058small.jpg picture by Standby2 - Photobucket (http://s1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff488/Standby2/Spitfire%20at%20Colerne/?action=view&current=Spitfire058small.jpg)

Spitfire at Colerne :: Spitfire068small.jpg picture by Standby2 - Photobucket (http://s1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff488/Standby2/Spitfire%20at%20Colerne/?action=view&current=Spitfire068small.jpg)

and it was a bloke......:cool:

STANDTO
12th Sep 2010, 20:20
somebody on a test flight?

it is up for sale I believe

Standby!
12th Sep 2010, 20:23
Was a training flight. Dual to solo.

tarantonight
12th Sep 2010, 20:50
Standby, you have a PM.

tarantonight

tezzer
12th Sep 2010, 21:10
Who wouldn't give up body parts for a trip in that wonderful aircraft ?

Hueymeister
12th Sep 2010, 22:26
Body parts on offer...any takers:}:}:}

AR1
13th Sep 2010, 06:36
From the BOB archives 141 Sqn
the Defiants used Hawkinge as an advanced airfield and it was from the latter that the Squadron had its first and last daylight encounter with the enemy. Six out of nine aircraft were lost over the Channel to Me 109s and the sqauadron was withdrawn to Prestwick two days later as the ineffectiveness of the Defiant against single-seat fighters became evident.

I had no idea of the scale or immediate nature of this 'discovery' of the aircraft's unworthiness. You would have thought this would have been picked up during evaluation.

Tankertrashnav
13th Sep 2010, 08:12
Who wouldn't give up body parts for a trip in that wonderful aircraft ?

I'd have to give up several, as I believe the absolute top weight limit for the rear seat is 180lb because of C of G considerations :(

aviate1138
13th Sep 2010, 10:15
TT
"I believe the absolute top weight limit for the rear seat is 180lb because of C of G considerations"

Bugger! :mad:

aviate/overweight

Tankertrashnav
13th Sep 2010, 10:39
Was thinking - could lose both legs and do a DB impersonation ;)

Might reinforce the effect by being bloody rude to the pilot :E

ian16th
13th Sep 2010, 10:47
the ineffectiveness of the Defiant against single-seat fighters became evident. I always understood that during WWI it was realised that the best way to to aim and fire a gun from an A/C was to fix the gun and aim the A/C.

Why was there any need to learn this all over again with the Defiant?

Downwind.Maddl-Land
13th Sep 2010, 11:00
The Defiant wasn’t a bad aeroplane; it was just misused, as there were no alternatives and desperate times called for desperate measures. 264 had a far better time of it over Dunkirk (No – they weren’t mistaken for Hurricanes!) and later in the BofB. If, as it was intended, it had been used in conjunction with other fighters (eg Hurricanes and Spitfires) it could be extremely effective.

During their work-up on the new fighter, 264’s Boss, Sqn Ldr Hunter flew in mock combat against a Spitfire of 65 Sqn flown by one Flg Off Tuck! Hunter flew on a course from Northolt to White Waltham and Tuck attacked when and how he liked. Hunter went into a steep turn followed by the Spitfire. In an engagement that lasted 10 minutes, the Defiant gunner expended all his cine film, but Tuck expended none as he could not bring his sights to bear. He was often able to turn inside the Defiant but this only enabled the gunner to fire on him across the arc. On one occasion Hunter managed to get on the tail of the Spitfire, slightly below so that the gunner could fire forward and upwards. This engagement showed that a well-flown Defiant, which circled when attacked by a single seat fighter could adequately defend itself, provided its speed did not drop below 160 mph, which usually involved a spiral dive. Acknowledgements to Alec Brew, author of ‘The Defiant File’

141 Sqn’s boss, on a visit to 264, claimed the ac was a death trap and that he had no faith in it; a clear case of talking one’s self into it by the sounds of it, unfortunately.

Unregistered Tr9
14th Sep 2010, 08:14
See from the weight & balance computer programe Classic Aero produced prior to us test flying SM 520 in Oct 09, could stick in r/seat 240lbs pax if we had a racing snake P1 of 175Lbs! with fullish fuel gave you 7073Lbs C of G 7.42" which is just over the limit for aeros of 7.2"
Greater challenge is getting said 240lbs into rear seat without lacerating
fingers on all the sharp bits, once in a good view.. have done a couple of t/o without any prob, but doent beat sitting up front!!