PDA

View Full Version : DHC6-300 and 400 AFM/POH Twin Otter question

fabgal
12th Sep 2010, 11:42
Hi, very new here. I hear rumor that the AFM for the 400 series Twin Otter was written in a new format with some new procedures that will also be reflected in a new revision for the existing 300 series. I also hear that the 300 revision will be a complete re wright and that some people have a draft. Does anyone have either manual on PDF or are either manual downloadable somewhere? I am willing to pay. Would be very interested to see what changes to procedures have been made and how they could affect operating the Twin Otter.

The Ancient Geek
12th Sep 2010, 13:48
This was discussed a few days ago in the African Aviation section.

duns3r
12th Sep 2010, 14:38
Actually there was a large DHC-6 discussion, and V1..oops bragged a lot about his new manual, but no one said if it is available or if anyone has actually seen it yet. I would like to see this new masterpiece as well.

411A
12th Sep 2010, 15:23
One wonders...what was 'wrong' with the old one, anyway?
And, yes, before anyone asks, I've flown the type quite a bit.... a long time ago.
A superb airplane for its design concept.

fabgal
12th Sep 2010, 15:25
I have searched the threads and cannot find a discussion about the AFM. Please provide a link. Thanks

V1... Ooops
12th Sep 2010, 20:30
... I hear rumor that the AFM for the 400 series Twin Otter was written in a new format with some new procedures that will also be reflected in a new revision for the existing 300 series.

Hi Fabrizio:

The AFM for the Series 400 Twin Otter has been written in compliance with GAMA (General Aviation Manufacturer's Association) format, the details of which are set out in GAMA Specification 1. The GAMA format has been used by almost all Part 23 aircraft manufacturers since it was developed in the late 1980s. If you have seen a flight manual that was first published in the last 20 years, then you are familiar with this format. Examples include the Pilatus PC-12 AFM, the Cessna Caravan AFM, etc.

At the same time that the Series 400 AFM was written, the Series 300 AFM was re-written - also in GAMA organizational format. The normal, abnormal, and emergency operational procedures for the Series 300 Twin Otter have not changed substantially. Some sections, notably unusual attitude recovery, stall recovery, and procedures dealing with Flight in Known Icing have been updated with new information.

The new Series 300 AFM (at Revision 53) has more commonality with the checklists that FlightSafety has been using for the past 15 years than the existing (Revision 52) AFM. The new Series 300 manual is a bit easier to read than the old one, and it is substantially easier to find information in the new AFM - instead of one book for the AFM (PSM 1-63-1A), and one book for supplementary information (PSM 1-63-1), all the information is now contained in one POH. The new manuals (both Series 300 and Series 400) are now A5 page size (same as a Jeppesen chart), this to make it easier to use the AFM in the aircraft.

The primary reason for the rewrite of the Series 300 AFM was to provide a common basis of procedures for operators of mixed fleets of Series 300 and 400 aircraft.

The Series 400 AFM was approved by Transport Canada in June 2010 and is being provided to Series 400 operators as deliveries of the aircraft are made. Your employer has a copy, it was provided with the delivery of SN 845.

The Series 300 AFM was approved by Transport Canada in September 2010 and will most likely be distributed to subscribers of the AFM revision service prior to the end of the year.

Michael

V1... Ooops
12th Sep 2010, 20:37
...One wonders...what was 'wrong' with the old one, anyway?

Nothing was "wrong" with the old one, but it would have been very difficult for mixed fleet operators to have a Series 300 AFM written in CAR 3 format and a Series 400 AFM written in GAMA Specification 1 format. That would have made it very difficult for the mixed fleet operators to establish common procedures for both Series.

The two Series (300 and 400) are, operationally, essentially the same aircraft. The principle difference is that the Series 400 is an all DC aircraft (no AC electrical system), and it has a contemporary integrated avionics suite (Honeywell Primus Apex, the same as the new PC-12). The speeds, performance figures, and all the normal, abnormal, and emergency procedures that do not relate directly to avionics or AC electrical are the same for both the Series 300 and Series 400.

Michael