View Full Version : What's the drama?

Aser
11th Sep 2010, 09:04
I'm sure it wasn't a drama but, was a MGB chip or what :confused:

Super Puma helicopter in North Sea flight drama
Oil crew flown to Aberdeen Airport
By Gavin Roberts and David Ewen

Published: 10/09/2010

FLIGHT SCARE: The Bristow Helicopters-operated Super Puma had 21 people onboard.
More Pictures

AN ABERDEEN-BOUND Super Puma helicopter suffered a suspected rotor problem, the Evening Express can reveal today.

The crew of the EC225 aircraft alerted the control tower at Aberdeen Airport shortly after take off while the Super Puma helicopter was transporting 19 oil workers from an North Sea platform.

The Bristow Helicopters-operated Super Puma was flown under half power as a precaution, but it meant a nerve-wracking hour-long flight for those onboard before it landed safely at Aberdeen Airport.

Read more: Super Puma helicopter in North Sea flight drama - Evening Express (http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/1911236?UserKey#ixzz0zD4nL2Ck)

Sliding Doors
11th Sep 2010, 10:12
Believe it was a tail rotor issue. I would call it a drama if you're 1 hour offshore and get a tail rotor problem. :eek:
I guess to someone like yourself though Aser, that wouldn't be anything to worry about? ;)

Aser
11th Sep 2010, 11:24
Thanks for the info, was it stuck?
I agree with you that is a drama when you are thinking about the tail rotor and flying offshore...
But you are very wrong with the last sentence... :=

Best regards ;)
Aser

Fareastdriver
11th Sep 2010, 13:14
Maybe the crew had to keep the ball in the centre manually.

Hummingfrog
11th Sep 2010, 14:23
In Aberdeen the local press take every return for technical reasons as a major drama. They then usually wheel out an "expert" who proves he has no knowledge of up to date offshore ops.

Now I have retired perhaps that is a new career I should investigate:E:

Crusty old captain comments on helicopter drama - "in my day boy we didn't even have heading hold never mind these fancy new gizmos - more like flying an airliner nowadays - in my day men where men and rarely dressed in woman's clothes - as for the magenta line what's that all about";)

HF

helimutt
11th Sep 2010, 14:26
I'd back you on that one mr HF. :D
You might even get some insider info about what really happened, unlike the so-called expert they usually wheel out who seems to know very little about the current modern helicopters. Watch this space.:ok:

Scotsheli
11th Sep 2010, 15:43
Sources close to the non-event can exclusively reveal that it was a temp warning which went out when power was reduced. Dodgy probe I am informed.

Not that any of these highly mundane events should stop the local hacks spinning up stories to scare the offshore workforce without whom in town they'd all be unemployed of course.

Rant over.

Epiphany
11th Sep 2010, 16:03
Did this pilot steer his stricken helicopter away from a school on final approach to ABZ - that's what I want to know. :rolleyes:

Hummingfrog
11th Sep 2010, 16:36
Hi Helimutt just woken from the old afternoon snooze:ok: Thanks for vote of support! How are you getting on with your intro to modern helicopters!

HF

helimutt
11th Sep 2010, 17:55
I'm not yet! :hmm:

atcomarkingtime
12th Sep 2010, 11:16
HF...now you've asked him that question......it'll go on for days now..:rolleyes: