PDA

View Full Version : Study up for Africa?

Aerobot
11th Sep 2010, 00:17
Hello Pruners,

Right now all of my flypaper is from the FAA. I'm interested in getting my ICAO certificates so that I can work in Africa. Can you recommend some good online resources to use to prepare for the ICAO exams?

Thanks! :ok:

GoodGrief
11th Sep 2010, 00:43
The FAA certificate IS an ICAO license.

Aerobot
11th Sep 2010, 01:15
Okay, yes, very helpful, thank you...but here's some text from my prospective new employer:

"...We have a few issues to resolve with the (government) Authorities re non type rated pilots getting a type rating locally, so right at the minute we are only accepting candidates with a current (make and model) rating, and preferably a JAR or ICAO licence..."

While I am aware that FAA flypaper is, in fact, a variety of ICAO flypaper it seems a good idea to assume that he knows more about working in Africa than I do. He's also told me on another ocassion that there would be some exams to complete. I'm trying to find out if there are study sources online that I can use to prepare and show willing and all that.

Earl of Rochester
11th Sep 2010, 05:31
- Aerobot

Your responses are a little vague and it sounds like your friend may be in a position to provide additional information and in which case he should.

If you have an FAA licence the type endorsements will not appear on the certificate but, you should have stamped log book entries for the relevant types you have flown and which the local authorities will normally accept given the number of FAA licences which have been validated across Africa (except South Africa).

You mention additional exams - these will normally be the local air legislation papers and in which case you would need to contact the CAA for the propsed country you are planning to work in!

Earl

http://www.clker.com/cliparts/e/0/3/7/11971228763200152FunDraw_dot_com_Pipe_Smoking_Man.svg.thumb. png

hueyracer
11th Sep 2010, 08:38
Coming back from Africa recently (converting my ICAO-license), i might throw a little light on that subject.

1. FAA or JAR-license does not matter-you will have to sit the exam.
2. Depending on the country you are heading, you need to sit air law only, air law + met, or all subjects again.
3. Most african countries are referring to JAR-regulations; and some of them are using the Oxford syllabus for training and/or testing.
4. In most african countries you will need a type rating on a type that is already registered in the country you are heading for-to do a flight test.

So i would suggest:
1. Determine which country you are heading for to achieve the license.
2. Visit the CAA-page of this country.
3. Read their special regulations-or contact them, if you do not find them online..

Nevertheless-in most cases i know it took several weeks to several months for experienced pilots to complete the conversion....especially paperwork sometimes is a mess in africa....
Missing one minute in your log book because of a calculation error?
Everything is sent back and has to be requested again....paying for it again....

delta3
11th Sep 2010, 10:21
hueyracer,

Good summary.

Pertaining to

"Missing one minute in your log book because of a calculation error?
Everything is sent back and has to be requested again....paying for it again.... "

I am afraid "someone" told them that is exactly "civilization"

d3