PDA

View Full Version : Flying Royal Marines

TipCap
10th Sep 2010, 15:20
Mick Reece (ex RM aviator) has embarked on a project to update a historical record of Royal Marines aviation.

He has decided to go back to 1960 which was in many ways a pivotal year. The start of the commando ships era, birth of ULA flights followed by 3 BAS, SNCO pilots, RM observers and aircrewmen and now the return to fixed wing flying with the Harrier, not to mention the numerous conflicts. As he is discovering daily, an awful lot has happened in the last 50 years, indeed, far more than he had anticipated.

He started this project just over eight months ago and is now more convinced than ever that such a record is overdue. The most difficult part, so far, is locating as many of the RM aircrew as possible to ensure accuracy. He emphasises that he does not intend to include anything that is not already publicly available in, say, the G & L. In particular from that era, he is trying to trace Messrs Booth, Brown, Colton, Galbraith, Hunt, Jones, Nelson, Stokes, West, Duttson, Greig.

He is looking for any ex RM pilots particularly in the era mentioned earlier. If you want to help, PM me and I will forward your details to Mick.

Attila
10th Sep 2010, 19:33
I see that he has already registered on the Flying Marines website, so, hopefully, he should be able to glean some information from there. Most of the guys from my period of flying in the Corps, 1970 - 1976, are on there.:)

TipCap
10th Sep 2010, 20:52
Thanks Attila

I am just trying to give him as much exposure as I can because the task he is trying to fulfill is quite a large one.

I was in the RM in mid 60's but attached to the FAA

Regards

John