PDA

View Full Version : Go around!

sprocky_ger
8th Sep 2010, 21:38
Nearing my 100th flight (as a pax) within 15 years I am reviewing experiences during the flights. Recently we had a German comedian with us :)

One thing I still remember very well was a go around on my way back to EDDV/HAJ in 2005. Since it was the only one I experienced I'd like to know how many of those did you experience as a pax / as a pilot compared to the (approx.) number of flights you made.

Hotel Tango
8th Sep 2010, 22:37
A German comedian :eek:

One aborted take-off and two go-arounds in over 2000 flights (as pax).

G SXTY
8th Sep 2010, 22:48
Two go arounds in two years (approximately 1100 sectors) but get close to going around - as in thumb caressing the button - maybe once a month. The most common reason is a preceding aircraft being slow to roll or vacate.

Bullethead
8th Sep 2010, 23:00
G'day sprocky_ger,

On my present type, B767, since 2002 when I started on it I have done around 1900 sectors, 5300 hours and during that time four go-arounds. One weather related the other three caused by other aircraft getting too close, TCAS RA, or dithering on the runway after landing.

Regards,
BH.

PaperTiger
8th Sep 2010, 23:23
I've lost count, but I'd guess around 10 or so if you count low missed approaches too.

Miami seems to be the GA capital of the world due to the runway configuration although it may be better now with the 4th one.

Chesty Morgan
8th Sep 2010, 23:25
Blimey Bullethead you're lucky. Me, 11 years, 12 go arounds! Perhaps I'm just unlucky...or crap:(

TightSlot
9th Sep 2010, 06:51
I've done quite a few, but then I've done quite a few flights!

The likelihood of experiencing one is increased somewhat if you regularly fly in/out of certain airfields. Airfields with fair weather, long runways, standard approaches and uncrowded airspace will tend to experience fewer go-arounds (in general). However, there are no hard and fast rules since life can throw you a curve-ball - we once went around at LTN because of a deer on the runway!

radeng
9th Sep 2010, 09:10
Once in 30 years and over 2 million miles as a PAX .

dubh12000
9th Sep 2010, 09:16
Lots of go arounds when I used to fly into Genoa a lot (as pax). Two flights in a row once. Most dramatic was once in Cork in an EI 732, we were already on the ground when he decided to do another lap.

Diver_Dave
9th Sep 2010, 09:32
Only had one, on approach in to Malta about
15 years ago. I was on holiday with two friends....

One of whom was a VERY Nervous flyer, who then expressed
his err... concern by stating quite loudly...

"Oh god he can't find the Runway" :-) :-)

Another one I remember hearing is probably apocryphal, however,
shortly after moving up here to Stockport I seem to remember
something about seversl Llamas from an Alpaca farm wandering round
the field at Manchester. This may be just an Urban Myth up here.
Regards

DaveA

angels
9th Sep 2010, 09:52
Flown quite a bit and had several go arounds. PaperTiger, that includes one at Miami!

As tightslot points out, its where the flying is done that is a large factor. The bulk of my flying has been done within Europe and in the Far East/SE Asia. I've had no go arounds in Europe.

In the Asian tropics (I was mainly based in Hong Kong and Singapore) squally conditions can come and go in no time.

I recall coming back from Kota Kinabalu to Singapore and the (SQ) plane actually did a touch and go as we entered a squall. After we went around we landed on the same runway and it had virtually dried out.

Must admit, that one was a bit of a brown trouser event for me!

Bullethead
9th Sep 2010, 10:26
Dunno why people get nervy about go-arounds they are only takeoffs which start airborne. We practice them several times during each sim session which in my airline we do three times a year.

A non-event in the overall scheme of things and definitely a better idea than the immediate option.

Regards,
BH.

JWP1938
9th Sep 2010, 10:27
As pax, this subject gives me a chance to blow my own trumpet just a little bit. I love flying (although always a little nervous) and read a lot about it, have had a couple of lessons, and have a reasonable knowledge of the ins and outs but have always wondered how I would feel/react if there was an emergency. Flying into LGW I was seated in the aisle seat with a young mum and baby in window seat. At what seemed to be a few feet above the runway on landing the nose was suddenly pointed at the sky and the engines screaming at full power. With my limited knowledge I realized it was a GA and the only thing to worry about was the reason. Heart was pounding quite a bit. The young mum looked at me and said "Oh dear, is this usual." I surprised myself by, instead of screaming "WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE, WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE," I calmly said "Oh yes, it's probably just someone slow getting off the runway in front of us or something." (Possibly true, but tell that to my pounding heart). A nervous few minutes as we circled round with no announcements. Eventually, in that calm sounding pilot voice:"Captain here ladies and gentlemen. Sorry about that." (He really sounded like that caricature of a pilot from WWII). He then went on to explain that the gear didn't deploy and still didn't with the first of the two backup systems so wisely decided to get height before trying the third (which was now deployed). We landed fine with MUCH clapping from the passengers. :D This was my first and only GA and has, at least, reassured me that I am not too much of a panicker in such situations. Don't particularly want another one though. :=

Timothy Claypole
9th Sep 2010, 10:51
German Humour Iz No Laughing Matter!

lfc123
9th Sep 2010, 11:21
Bullethead: As a fairly frequent pax who has only experienced one go around so far (flying into BNA last year) I must say that I did find it somewhat nerve-wracking. I'm not a nervous flyer at all, but when it happened it did set my mind racing, especially because there was no communication from the flight deck explaining why it happened (makes you think: is there a problem on the runway or with the plane itself?? Can the pilot bring us safely down next time? etc etc)

Quite a few fellow pax were looking very nervous. No-one said anything, though. And all was fine with landing.

Point is this: it might be a relatively minor issue for the crew, but pax naturally worry, even when there isn't really any need to.

PAXboy
9th Sep 2010, 11:46
I've 45 years as a pax under my lap-belt and STILL no GA. I'm really cross about this and DEMAND my rights for a GA. :E

In a previous thread about GAs, [Lucky I spotted my typo error - I had put 'FAs' and we've had more than enough discussion about them... :ooh:] flight crew remind us that they will move the aircraft out of danger and then speak to us. The work load for them is VERY high and since we are all OK down the back, they can ignore us whilst they do this manoeuvre that requires 100% of their mental and physical attention.

Since I have seen folks sleeping all the way from 'top of drop' to touchdown, I'm sure there are those who don't notice.

robtheblade
9th Sep 2010, 12:24
Only one G/A in thirty years of flying.

A couple of years ago on Malaysia Airlines from KUL to LHR. Was almost on the ground, or so it seemed, there was a massive surge of power and up we went at a rate that was hard to imagine. Quite a few screams and gripping of seat arms. After a couple of seconds I realised what was happening and was quite relaxed about it .

I never felt in any danger and was greatly impressed by the actions of the guys up front and the way the 747 could climb with very little fuel onboard.

k3lvc
9th Sep 2010, 13:01
I've 45 years as a pax under my lap-belt and STILL no GA. I'm really cross about this and DEMAND my rights for a GA. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif

500+ sectors as a pax over the past few years and only 1 GA - sods law says it was on one of the bumpiest approaches I've every experienced when I was on a very tight timescale. Had to experience the approach all over again.

Since I have seen folks sleeping all the way from 'top of drop' to touchdown, I'm sure there are those who don't notice.

I've now got this off to a tee but I can do it from boarding to arrival at gate - a great trick when the extra couple of hours sleep is needed

Pax Vobiscum
9th Sep 2010, 14:46
Two GAs + one RTO in 30 years:
1985 - RTO at Amman, faulty indicator light on Tristar (RJ)
1987 - GA at CDG, flight in front slow to clear runway (also Tristar - BA)
1994 - GA at GLA, crosswind too strong (BA 767).
Seems like I'm overdue another!
I'm told that if they don't get at least 1 GA every day at LHR, they're not packing them in tight enough (but that may be a slight exaggeration).;)

scr1
9th Sep 2010, 16:43
watched an ezy a319 do a touch and go due crosswind on sun

got 1 main gear on runway with 1 wing very low and 1 up going sideways when he suddenely went back up

even flt deck and cabin crew were shaken

TightSlot
9th Sep 2010, 18:04
even flt deck and cabin crew were shaken

How could you tell?

:confused:

scr1
9th Sep 2010, 18:29
How could you tell?

pm sent explaning

PaperTiger
9th Sep 2010, 18:39
JWP1938 If the gear didn't deploy a "few feet above the runway" my heart would have been doing a lot more than pounding. Or maybe stop altogether.

One of our local umm... airlines operated a B1900 for a few days with a wonky GPWS. "Too low gear" audible to the punters on every approach :uhoh: .

anotherglassofwine
9th Sep 2010, 18:54
Papertiger - wow! ... have to say if I was sat up front and heard that I'd be bracing!

Had a couple of go-arounds into Krakow and Hong Kong and I have to say they were fantastic. Many of the pilots and cc on these forums will say that the are a non event and part of the job for them (which of course they are), but as a pax I found the experience incredibly enjoyable... all that power right behind you when you need it...

Deadly buzz as they would say in my town .... :D

BAAlltheway
9th Sep 2010, 18:59
I think i must be a bit unlucky!

I've flown on average 6-8 long haul sectors and 6 short haul sectors per year for about the last 28 years.

So far i've had 6 go arounds. 1 at VIE in torrential rain, 1 at LGW (no apparent reason!), 1 at LHR- runway not vacated, and the doozy, a 3 time go around at LHR due to gusty cross winds following a pretty turbulent approach :yuk:. The first time most pax went, oooohh, the second go, there was a fair bit of tension, especially when we felt the plane lift one wing as we were about to touch down , and by the third time when it was actually a touch down and go, there were lots of pale sweaty faces and hands clamped to the arm rests!! One poor woman who had an onward conx, was so traumatised that she offloaded herself from the onward flight, just refused to go any further, and had to be put up in a hotel over night whilst the airline worked out what to do with her.

The next flight i did, i was NOT looking forward to the landing!

TightSlot
9th Sep 2010, 19:58
scr1 - And, for the record - a very good reply it was! That'll teach me!
:D

Dairyground
10th Sep 2010, 03:17
In almost exactly 50 years of fairly frequent paxing, 2 GA and one that could have been but was't.

The first was in a Trident onto the now disused cross runway at Heathrow. A Handley Page Herald was landing at almost the same time on 28L (as it then was) and we gave it precedence.

The second was into Boston in thick cloud. Wheels down and full flap, then, still in the cloud, power came back on, wheels came up and flaps retracted stage by stage. Eventually, it seemed several minutes later, we broke out of the cloud and a little after that the Captain announced that one of the autoland channels was inoperative and ha could'nt see the ground in time for a manual landing. So we were going to Philadelphia instead (which pleased half the passengers as they were going there anyway). I was heading to Ottawa and eventually got there much later than I had expected.

The one that didn't happen was into Edinburgh on a very wet and windy day, before the new runway was opened. We were late out of London as the Captain didnt like the state of the tyres and had new ones fitted before we left. At Edinburgh, he came in very low and it seemed very fast over the A8, banged the wheels down hard right on the numbers, applied reverse thrust and just managed to stop before the other end of the runway.The landing was so firm that most of the overhead lockers opened themselves (but nothing fell out). The passengers gave an unprompted round of applause.

I have not, so far, experienced a rejected takeoff, although we did once get lined up on the runway and then slowly trundle back to the terminal to get something fixed. But that wasn't at all exciting.

Old 'Un
10th Sep 2010, 05:35
In my 61 years, give or take a week or two, as SLF, I've only had one GA, and that was a double.

A squally,westerly day across the country, flying Wellington to Whanganui in an F27 (yeah, a LOOONG time ago!). First approach was good, but the a/c floated along the runway about 6-7 metres above it and would not come down. Power on, GA.

Second approach, very similar, same result.

Captain on p/a: "L & G apologies for this, but we're having a little difficulty as you can see in getting this flight to land. There's nothing wrong with the a/c other than it seems to want to keep flying, while we would prefer to land and let you passengers leaving us here get into the terminal. We'll have one more shot at it and then I'm afraid, if we don't make it down this time, we'll have to divert to New Plymouth". (our next stop) [Wording was something like that - can't remember exactly, but it was a very friendly ad lib and the skipper sounded quite relaxed]

Third approach was steeper and faster than usual with, I think, one notch less flap. Very little flare, and I swear he dropped it from about 6 feet and really stuck it onto the tarmac. A ripple of applause from the pax, then "Welcome to Wanganui - at last!" from the flight deck. Chuckles from most of the pax.

I got off at Whanganui and never did find out what the landing was like at New Plymouth.

Personal flying - a few GAs and missed approaches. One GA was a 'sheep on the runway' issue. What would you expect in NZ?

Le Vieux

pax britanica
10th Sep 2010, 07:15
Prompted me to think about how many times I have experienced one and come up with 9 , two low vis missed approaches to Atlanta-do they count, others at LHR, Nairobi, JFK ,AMS ,BDA -2, ARN .

Only one abit scary and thatwas into Bermuda but any regular traveller there will know that very strong sw winds and a runway oriented nw-se mean a lot of 'interesting' approaches. That was quite violent manouver and at night too so no reassuring clues form the view out. In general all executed smoothly and great demonstrations of the performance of a large airliner when it isnt carrying tons and tons of fuel.

Only one RTO and that wasnt reallya 'proper' one as barely started rolling at LGW when engines cut and very rapid exit onto adjoining taxiway /holding area as a 737 seemingly landing on top of our 777 disappeared into the clouds. That did frighten me a bit in terms of what could have happened but I suspect the lander was higher than it looked and had broken off approach a bit earlier than it appeared to have as well.
PB

JWP1938
10th Sep 2010, 15:53
Quote JWP1938 If the gear didn't deploy a "few feet above the runway" my heart would have been doing a lot more than pounding. Or maybe stop altogether. Unquote I said "At what seemed to be...." Even MY limited knowledge knows that we would be considerably higher than a few feet but I hadn't noticed the gear lowering (or not) and, as I said, I was in an aisle seat so my view was limited. I usually opt for (and get) a window seat and always avidly watch TOs and landings. In this case I could just about see some terrain outside and just assumed the gear was down and we were nearly there so the sudden engine roar and nose up came as a shock to the system.

rgsaero
10th Sep 2010, 17:44
First go-around I experienced was in 1951 in an Argonaut at the "old" Rome airport (on the way back from Singapore) just after a massive thunderstorm. The captain didn't like the look of the amount of water.

When we eventually did land we had to stay in the aircraft for at least half an hour until they could get buses to us, there was so much water.

Since then? four I think, one of which was in a Morton Air Services Heron at Gatwick (1968).

frequentflyer2
10th Sep 2010, 18:53
Mrs FF and I were on our way back from our first holiday together in November 1984. We were travelling on a Dan Air BAC 1-11 from LGW to BFS. I can't accurately remember how many go arounds we had as the pilot attempted to land - we think three. On the final attempt he told us if we didn't make it this time we were diverting to DUB. Fortunately, he managed to land. Apparently, the problem was low lying fog and the pilot said he was embarrassed to tell us a British Midland flight had made it on to the runway between our go-arounds.
Fast forward 13 or 14 years to an Embraer 145 on its approach to MAN from BHD. We were admiring aerial views of Stockport when the plane suddenly rolled violently to one side, righted itself and rolled violently the other way. It seemed to shoot up and down at the same time.
The pilot aborted the approach and climbed away. He then contacted cabin crew to see if anyone had been injured before explaining the aircraft had flown into the wake turbulence of a widebody. He said we should have been placed much further behind it. I don't know whether this counts as a go around or not as it didn't happen within feet of the runway but still very close to the airport.

L4key
10th Sep 2010, 19:14
In the last 10 years c. 120 flights and I've had one GA due to bad weather and a big one wheel first touch down at MAN (af). Also a birdstrike out of LPL with immediate return (ezy).

Guess I'm lucky huh. I did nearly require new trousers in both occasions!

13Alpha
10th Sep 2010, 21:16
Been flying on and off for around 20 years, but frequently for the last 5.

Two GAs during that time, both with BA: one at Glasgow in a 757 low visibility due to the aircraft in front not clearing the runway in time; and one at LHR on a 747 from Buenos Aires where there was an indication the gear wasn't down. Pretty calm reactions amongst the pax, although I imagine an indication of a gear problem might raise blood pressure a bit on the flightdeck ?

And one rejected take-off at Dallas on an American 767. According to the pilot a warning light indicating a tyre problem came on during the take-off roll. We did a lap of the taxiways and took off next time around - but on landing at LGW there was rather more swerving around on touchdown than usual, and the fire services came out to meet us. So maybe the warning light didn't lie... ;)

13Alpha

PAXboy
10th Sep 2010, 21:42
Recall being with my parents, seeing my grandmother on a VC-10 at JNB in the late 60s, I was a teenager. We stayed to watch the departure (not so long to wait in those days!) and there was an RTO from fairly good speed.

We all groaned, "Oh No, they're going to off load and we've got her back" :uhoh: Happily they rotated normally on the next attempt. Following an exchange of letters with gran when she got home, we got the reply, "Oh, was there something wrong? I thought they always did that." She was obviously well into the sherry ... :ooh:

Capetonian
10th Sep 2010, 22:00
Once in about 40 years of doing average two sectors a week. LH 747 into JNB, as we climbed out and banked away FO explained that there was Zambian Airways a/c on the runway on which we'd been cleared to land. Absolutely no drama at all, a total non-event.

Capt Claret
11th Sep 2010, 00:56
Flew as pax for first time in 1971. Learned to fly 1983, flown professionally since 1986.

As best I can recall, two go arounds as a pax, perhaps half a dozen as pilot, and one rejected take-off.

JEM60
11th Sep 2010, 07:21
One GA in 40 years. Brittania 737 into Luton. Weather related, and we were warned that it may not work, and we might go to Donington. Completely unknown to us they tried again, broke out of cloud low, expected to see Donnington, but, lo and behold, Luton. Wild applause from pax, including me. [Car at Luton!] 3 RTOs, all on the same flight, Britttania 100 out of Palermo, Sicily. If CPTN is looking, it was at the last but one Targa Florio.[He'll know what that means!]

TG345
11th Sep 2010, 09:35
Very enjoyable thread this, so here's my two-pennerth.

1989. Business Air Saab 340 ABZ-MAN. Very rough night, but the GA was not weather related - aircraft ahead didn't vacate in time. Rather unpleasant new approach being tossed around like a cork at sea, but second time we were in.

2002. Not exactly a GA. EasyJet 320/737 (can't remember) LPL-AGP, normal flight until approach when Captain informed us that LPL had reported tyre damage when we left. Did a low pass of the tower at AGP with gear down for a visual inspection, and then landed normally.

2005. AF 319 MAN-CDG. Rejected take off at fairly high speed. Indication of insecure hatch. Spent an hour back on stand waiting for brakes to cool down.

2006. Nok Air 734 CNX-DMK. GA I assume due to tropical squall. No word from flight deck.

ulxima
12th Sep 2010, 00:15
- One GA in FCO due to fog while landing on 16L. Landed later on 16R.
- One RTO in FRA at low speed (Lined up, brake applied, engine spool up, first increase of power, brake release, power thrust, no power and brake applied again). All I noticed was an aircraft landing a few second later in front of us.
- One diversion due to fog (from VCE to VRN)
- One low pass for gear extension check (AMS)

Ciao
Ulxima

mary meagher
14th Sep 2010, 08:32
Usually a public transport aircraft is flown gently, rate 1 turns, so as not to upset the passengers. Thinking of us, I am told, as eggs, not to be scrambled! Firm but steady takeoffs, requests for higher or lower enroutes to avoid turbulence, etc.

So I was delighted to be treated to a go-around by Aer Lingus at Dublin, no messing, full power, steep turns, loverly!

Does anyone remember hearing about a 707 being reposessed by a skilled ferry pilot who wanted to find out could it do a roll? Answer, it could.

Skipness One Echo
14th Sep 2010, 09:02
Came into Gatwick on an easyJet A319 on Sunday, a year to the day of going round twice at City on a BA RJ100, when we went around on short finals. No drama really until one of the Cabin Crew immediately came on the tannoy as the flaps were still retracting in to try and calm the (non existent) panic by telling us that the Captain had "decided not to land" for "operational reasons". His tone suggested he thought we were going to hit the ground like a dart made of bricks at any moment! NOW it was at this point the passengers got nervous!

Later when we were downwind, the laid back and dulcet tones of the Captain as he explained the aircraft departing ahead had undergone a rejected take off was a country mile from the STRESS levels in the poor cc's voice! You've either got the patter or you haven't.

Not helping love...really!

Sonorguy
14th Sep 2010, 14:03
Only one GA in twenty odd years, but it's quite a GA. When you fly into Kandahar in Afghanistan it's in a darkened RAF Tristar showing no light and with body armour & helmet on. We were very close to the ground as far as we could tell when engines went to full and up we went again.

A few minutes later the Sqn Cdr pilot came on to tell us that ATC (run by the US at the time) hadn't given clearance so he'd gone around. He then added the phrase 'if the Taliban didn't know we were here before they certainly do now....'.

Curious Pax
14th Sep 2010, 14:36
Just one GA in approx 400 flights - a BA 737 going into Amsterdam about 10 years or so ago. Wasn't very exciting as we were still in cloud, and although the captain said it was due to an aircraft on the runway I'm not convinced he wasn't sparing us some stress, as (based on the cloud level when we got in second time) we were probably still 5 minutes from touchdown. Thus the power increase was minimal, so didn't get much of a buzz!

Mrs CP had one at MAN a year later, which didn't start until almost at the threshold (I was watching from the multi storey car park) due to an aircraft rolling late, so she got the full GA power and sharp right turn round the tower to avoid the departing. Completely wasted on her as she didn't even notice until I told her about it afterwards - she gets very engrossed in paperbacks when flying.

Just the one RTO too, which combined with someone else's GA. On a Transavia 737 at LGW, we start rolling down the runway, then jammed the anchors on and stopped. Meanwhile heard and briefly saw an aircraft very low overhead. Apparently the gap that ATC tried to squeeze us into wasn't quite big enough according to the captain (though the controller may have seen it differently!). We just stayed put for a minute, then opened the throttles and departed. Presumably we hadn't been going fast enough on the first attempt to require any delay for brake cooling.

rjc54n
14th Sep 2010, 16:59
As regular pax over the last 10 years (c.400 sectors?) I've experienced 3 go arounds. Weather at BHX, weather at JMK and runway not vacated at CDG. The BMI pilot at CDG made the best PA "The observant amongst you will have noticed we didn't land...."

sprocky_ger
14th Sep 2010, 19:46
Please excuse my very late reply to your comments. I am pretty busy these days with limited internet access :(

Now, thanks for all your comments and interesting stories. Although it is called the "Professional Pilots and Rumours Network" it is still a valuable place to talk about aviation even being a pax only. :ok: Also thanks to all those pilots and cabin crews that moved me around the globe safely and comfortable.

Colonel White
14th Sep 2010, 22:05
I'm an intermittent flyer. In a total of less than 50 flights I've had at least to GA , one hard landing and one scary take-off. GAs were inbound from NCL to LHR - plane not cleared run way. Inbound at NCE, not sure why, might have been light plane that was dickering around, but we were in a BA 737 did the hard bank and full welly - I got a lovely view of the Med. Hard landing was at L:GW - real teeth rattler. and the scary take off was at the Azores. Flight was from LGW to ANU, but we had medical emergency - think it was a cardiac so diverted to the Azores. Having taken the passenger off, the flight crew took the 747 up to the end of the runway, stood on the brakes, opened the throttle and let her rip. You know when it's a dodgy number if you can see white knuckles on the cabin crew. This time they were like a sheet of paper.

Captivep
15th Sep 2010, 09:52
Can't remember how many sectors as pax but have had three go-arounds.

One was at Glasgow waiting for the fog the clear; on our third and last attempt we popped out of the clag just after the pilot had pushed the thrust levers forward! Much moaning from other pax as we diverted to Prestwick until the pilot explained that fuel was running low...

Second was at Heathrow when flaps failed to go down. Pilot explained it away as an ATC thing so no panic from anybody. I was sitting just aft of the wing and knew what had happened and rather enjoyed the faster lower approach the next time. I don't think any of the other pax even saw the firetrucks waiting for us.

Third was at Manchester when the wheel of the preceding aircraft collapsed on the runway. Although slightly miffed because I was in a hurry (unreasonable, I know), I did enjoy the first experience of landing half an hour later on 24L (or 25, or 26 - whatever it is!)

Only aborted takeoff was at Skiathos when the roll began before cabin crew were sitting down. Pilot later tried to explain it as an ATC issue...

Hartington
15th Sep 2010, 12:40
Let's see...

Air India 747 at Heathrow inbound from JFK. Never did find out why. He seemed to float down the runway for a long time so my first reaction was that someone had misjudged something but later I began to wonder if maybe he was getting the tower to look at something.

BA Trident at Heathrow, full welly from 28R (yes that long ago); told the plane in front hadn't cleared.

Air France 707 at Orly due fog followed by what felt like a very low approach under the clag to Le Bourget.

US Air 767 at Gatwick (when they operated the BA flight from Charlotte) due fog; spirited climb but we made it 2nd time.

I'm sometimes surprised there aren't even more, especially at places like Heathrow. Riding in the jump of a 757 a good few years ago a combination of unusual circumstances had us much closer to the plane in front than usual with another one catching us up from behind. The one in front only just cleared as we crossed the perimiter road for 27R and full autobrake had us off the runway in time for the guy behind to land only to be rewarded with a brake overheat warning. And then comng into O'Hare (forget which runway) we had been cleared to land only to have an aircraft sitting at the taxiway by the threshold given clearance to cross; plenty of space but it was a bit of an eye openeer to me.

twb3
15th Sep 2010, 19:43
One GA as pax, one emergency return as aircrew.

GA on a TWA MD-80 inbound to Sea-Tac when the nose gear failed to lock down on initial gear extension. Crew elected to abandon the approach while working the gear issue. Gear locked down on second extension attempt and landing was uneventful.

Was loadmaster on C-5A that lost #1 engine on initial climbout from Rhein-Main. I was in the cargo compartment disinsecting (i.e. setting off "bug bombs") and felt the lateral lurch when engine failed, confirmed by #1 fire handle out when I passed the flight deck en route back to a seat. Three-engine return and landing was nominal.

TWB

olympus
15th Sep 2010, 20:12
Two RTOs and no more than four GAs in 12000+ hours (and NO engine shutdowns in-flight either!).

Every approach into Paris CDG was briefed as a go-around as landing clearance was invariably not forthcoming until VERY short finals. Having said that I can't actually remember ever going around at CDG! 'Landed after' on many occasions though.

Kiltrash
15th Sep 2010, 20:40
Only GA was way back at the old Hong Kong. (1984??) in night conditions

The approach was rough and I think GA was wind related, 50-100 foot off the runway and full power applied, then you realise how white knuckle a lightly loaded Cathay B747 can be

From nervous chatter amongst the pax to total silence in a moment till the capt came on and said oops ( aussie accent) and promissed to try better the next time

Round of clapping and cheering when we got down

JEM60
15th Sep 2010, 20:41
MARY MEAGHER.
Don't remember a ferry pilot doing it, but Tex Hopkins [Boeing Test Pilot] certainly did it as a sales gimmick, with the prototype. I remember seeing a very interesting picture taken from a passenger window of, if you like, the engines being on top of the wing, rather than underneath it!!. It was inverted at the time, of course. He was called in by management for tea and biscuits.........

Juan Tugoh
15th Sep 2010, 23:30
JEM60 - nearly right, twas Tex Johnson.

707 Roll (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra_khhzuFlE)

JEM60
16th Sep 2010, 06:41
Damn. I used to suffer from amnesia once, but I can't remember when it was. Thanks Juan.:confused:

Nicholas49
16th Sep 2010, 20:13
Skipness One Echo:

Later when we were downwind, the laid back and dulcet tones of the Captain as he explained the aircraft departing ahead had undergone a rejected take off was a country mile from the STRESS levels in the poor cc's voice! You've either got the patter or you haven't.

Nail. Hit. Head. It was, presumably, the flight attendant's first real-life go-around, hence the well-intentioned yet counter-productive explanation.

Perhaps CC should be trained to wait for the captain to give a PA in the event of a go-around? Just a thought!

So your go-around was due to an RTO? I wonder whether it was high-speed.

In the spirit of the thread, I remember having two high-speed RTOs at Berne when I was a youngster. Lots of luggage was off-loaded because the aircraft was "overweight". Passengers off-loaded too between attempted take-offs.

But the real highlight was when the crew announced once we were finally en-route to London: "Thank you for flying XYZ (I can't remember which airline). We cease trading at midnight tonight." There was some concern whether those bags would ever make it back to London.

Nick

TightSlot
17th Sep 2010, 07:18
CC should be trained to wait for the captain to give a PA

In many airlines, CC are trained not to wait - they, and their passengers could be waiting a very long time while the flight crew fly what may be a partially unserviceable aircraft through what may be highly congested airspace.

Some airlines have a written PA in the PA manual for CC to make in the event of a go-around for this reason.

It was, presumably, the flight attendant's first real-life go-around, hence the well-intentioned yet counter-productive explanation.

I wouldn't assume anything about the CC if I was you, based on information given here. There may have been stress evident in the tone of the CC PA made, or it may have been a perception by a listener that was not shared by all: The PA may in fact, have reassured some people - we have no way of telling. What we do know is that it makes for a better story, and that for at least one person on board, it was counter-productive.

G SXTY
17th Sep 2010, 08:23
Perhaps CC should be trained to wait for the captain to give a PA

No, not a good idea. As TightSlot intimates, a go-around is a high workload situation for the flight crew, and we will be extremely busy for the first few minutes. And that assumes a serviceable aircraft – if we have gone around because of a gear or flap problem, then we are into extra checklists and procedures, and the workload goes through the roof.

That is precisely why it is SOP at my airline for the senior cabin crew member to give the go-around PA, and the captain will give more details / reassurance as and when workload permits.

If you waited until we got a quiet moment up front, half the cabin would have chewed off their fingernails by then.

Nicholas49
17th Sep 2010, 08:31
TightSlot and G XTY: OK, I take your point.

However, I maintain that on certain flights I have flown, cabin crew PAs relating to operational matters (for example delays) have often exacerbated rather than diffused a problem. It is better to wait to hear the real reason from the flight deck.

If I experience a go-around, it will be quite obvious to me what has happened. I don't need CC to explain that "the captain decided not to land"! However, I appreciate other passengers may think that God has intervened and sent the aircraft back into orbit. What intelligent passengers do appreciate, though, is an informed explanation for the go-around. And as you say, they may have to wait some time for this.

TightSlot
17th Sep 2010, 12:23
We're not making a 'point' - we're stating a fact: There's a big difference.
It is better to wait to hear the real reason from the flight deck
You appear to suggest that a PA from CC will not provide the 'real' reason? In fact, with the exception of sudden events such as a go-around, pilots and CC tend to communicate carefully beforehand, to ensure that there is no discrepancy between what each party will say.
it will be quite obvious to me what has happened
Quite possibly, although you will have no understanding at all of the reasons why, or the actions required to resolve the situation. However, this rather misses the point - PA's in a go-around are not made for the benefit of people such as yourself, but for those to whom the experience is potentially distressing. Since it would be absurd to suggest that each passenger be canvassed to assess individual experience and state of mind before being given a tailored explanation, a general PA will be made to all on-board.

Nicholas49 - a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. Sometimes it is wise to recognise that.

Hussar 54
17th Sep 2010, 15:30
As passenger...

RTO at CDG in a BA 1-11 ( aaahhh ) late one Saturday evening in the late 70's...Speys spooling when suddenly thick black smoke poured through the vents....Immediate shutdown and down the slides, but with no more than 20 of us that night, all fairly undramatic....

GA at MIA in a PA 747 in the early 80's....Two attempts in heavy storms both had us over the zebras before Cap'n Thomas abandoned the third approach at about 1,000 feet and took us off to FLL instead....I've often wondered since if or just how much they had to strip off/out of the machine ( an old -100 ) to get it back out of FLL....

RTO at LHR about twelve or thirteen years ago in an IB 340....After pulling off to the left, an angry El Capitano came on the R/T and instructed everyone to check their mobiles were, indeed, switched off followed by a rather resigned comment that he would then need 90 minutes to allow the brakes to cool....

GA at MAD just a week later in a BA 737 from about 500 feet....No reason given....

In 9,000 hours and who knows how many Sectors, just one RTO - in CMN five years ago when at about 80 kts we suddenly saw the nose cone of our F27 detatch itself and vanish over the top of the fuselage....But far too many MA's to remember - probably most of them being ultra-cautious, but par for the course at small(ish) airfields here on the Dark Continent and so I never admit the blame for these....

Dawdler
17th Sep 2010, 16:03
One GA that sticks in my mind was at BHX Britannia 757. Daylight visibility good, no rain or any other limiting factor. we approached from the southeast, a good view of the tank farm at the end of the runway, suddenly full power, steep climb and bank to the left. The Captain announced that the GA was because "the aircraft taking off seemed a little slow in doing so". I assumed that the bank to the left was to ensure our path did not cross that of the aircraft taking off.

Flying in to CPH one foggy night in a Jestream 31, we knew that the PIC was under assessment by the Chief, because he told us (the Chief) before take off. The visibility was pretty awful and a jocular remark by one of the passengers (there were only six of us), "I wonder if he can find the airport?" was met with "I hope so because we're on the ground!" no more than second later the tyres hit the runway.

I was waiting in the bar at LGW looking almost directly down the runway. The traffic was very heavy, the intervals between aircraft taking off and those landing were getting extremely short. Then one aircraft landed at one end of the runway before the other had taken off. My impression is that the landing aircraft was touching down before the other had completed the rotate. I guess he considered he had no time for a GA as he would lose his place in the queue.

One failed take of at Schiphol which was very scarely as we all knew he wanted to stop the only question was would he be able to before running off the end of the runway. - He did - Just!

Anyone who has flown often will have an abundance of stories to relate.

escortmk2
17th Sep 2010, 19:31
Only flying frequently since 2002 and have experienced one 'off runway' excursion in CRL and a GA into MLA in horrible conditions.
The GA turned out to be a bit amusing. We were nearly on the ground when the wing dipped and the power came back on. After a few minutes the pilot comes on and says one word "gosh". I thought to myself that it must have been a close one. Shortly after he came back on and explained that we had got a bit of a tail wind just before touch down and decided that, because the runway was wet, to go around. All was well with the second attempt and as I exited the plane I noticed the name tag of the number one cc. Her name was Gosh. He must have pressed the wrong intercom button when trying to contact her after the GA. I'd say he frightened a few people with that one.

TopBunk
17th Sep 2010, 20:22
OK, as a pilot 13,700 hours and 5,000 sectors.

About 9 go arounds for real (plus about 300 I guess in simulator checks and training) plus about 5 as a pax.

Two stand out as worthy of comment (as a member of the flight deck crew):

1. 1992 B737 @ Dusseldorf; foggy, CAT3A approach to a DH (Decision Height) of 50ft RA (Radio Altimeter) - nothing seen - very unusual in real world. Wheels didn't touch during GA, I seem to recall a minimum RA achieved of about 10ft!

2. 1993 B737 @ Heathrow; very windy; 4th sector LHR-EDI-LHR-EDI-LHR. Held before approach for about 40 minutes, very turbulent, full pax load, most pax filled the sickbags!; made approach to the now disused runway 23 with the wind at about 190/55 (190 degrees @ 55kts or 62 mph); came out of cloud base and lost about 25-30 kts airspeed which caused a "Windshear" callout and a G/A from about 600ft. Convoluted non-standard G/A routing and a diversion to Stansted resulted landing with minimum fuel, and being unable to put steps to the aircraft as the wind was too strong. Out of hours so had to nightstop before flying back the next day - empty flight and achieved 5000ft by end of runway having some fun!

Rwy in Sight
18th Sep 2010, 21:03
It seems I have the most boring trips. No RTO, just a return to stand after a very very short push back in NCL back in September 1996.

And a GA very early (if it makes sense) on an LHR - AMS flight in July 2006 because the cabin was not secured. The FA were still clearing the snack service.

Rwy in Sight

Landroger
18th Sep 2010, 22:52
Not much - thirty odd years of pottering around the western world on aeroplanes - used to be a flight deck groupie :{ - one go around and a rejected push back. Can you have one of those?

Didn't push back in Cincinnati because of a couple of holes in the leading edge of a 727 cause by lightning strikes. Glued up :eek: in about ten minutes. Started engines on shore line at Arlander because of inop APU (BA 767) and one GA because of burst main gear on aeroplane ahead of us Paris - LGW. (BMI 737)

Some people get all the fun, but I did a Cat III on the jump seat (bench across the door) of a Moscow-LHR BA 737 in about '83 that made all the other passengers wonder if I had been flying it! :eek:

Roger.

Portnacroish
18th Sep 2010, 23:51
Had two engine failures in about a 120 flights as passenger. Both DC10.
One (NWA) out of Gatwick about 1994 just after getting airborne. Hell of a bang followed by much vibration. Never climbed above 3000 according to the inflight gps. Dumped fuel all over the place and was back on the deck within about 15 minutes! Despite appeals to remain seated the FAs were pushed out the way by some pax who were determined to leave at the earliest! It was also the captains last flight before retiring.
Another time was in Calgary. Canadian I think. Happened just at rotation and I got to see bits flying out the left engine being seated close by. Flew around for 6-7 hours before landing at Winnipeg.
Looked after very well on both occasions but I know that some pax never got back on the replacement aircraft!

Honeybuzzard
24th Sep 2010, 00:39
In over 150 sectors as SLF I have had 2 GA's - Both on the same flight (Ezy Luton to Madrid) One due to too fast approach, and the other wake turbulance avoidance. The second GA made one wonder.

Juno78
24th Sep 2010, 13:05
Sounds like I've had a very boring flying life - I've been on commercial flights since the age of 7 (in 1985) and flown at least once, more like two or three return flights pretty much every year, so probably in the region of 100 commercial flights, and I've never once had a go around or rejected take-off.

I'm making up for it in my PPL training though... :O

Peter47
26th Sep 2010, 17:10
One go for around for me, flying as SLF with UA landing, at the old Kai Tak airport in absolutely filthy weather. We got in at the second attempt coming in over the harbour (no chance of seeing the checker board). There was no communication until we landed, which I put down to heavy pilot workload (although United pilots aren't always the most talkative), nothing from CC. Whilst I wasn't concerned - HKG flights will carry plenty of reserves, I was wondering what the nominated alternate was. Maybe Kaohsiung? Or TPE as it was a company station? (I wasn't expecting us to get in to HKG due to the weather.) This was before Macao airport was open and you would try and avoid landing in China).

How shall we say, interesting.

pedalbin
26th Sep 2010, 17:12
In about 6 years of intensive business flying as pax - 3 go-arounds, no rejected take offs, and 1 lightning strike (on approach at Heathrow).

The most 'interesting' though was a 'nearly' go around at Schiphol during severe weather in June 2007. The approach was the worse I ever experienced literally being thrown around in my seat. Outside was very murky with several lightning flashes seen. Then I heard the engines go full-power and I thought 'please don't go back up into this mess!' but within a second we popped out of cloud and went on to make an uneventful landing.

It took me several flights before I could properly relax again, and I wish they would just divert in conditions like that.

angels
28th Sep 2010, 09:48
pedal - I had exactly the same 'interesting' experience as you landing at Heathrow once coming back from Belfast.

The woman behind me started praying extremely loudly which far from comforting me made me even worse amidst all the lightning flashes.

I had to be stoical though as I had my younger brother with me so I just sat there with a fixed grin on my face, even though I was absolutely terrified.

My brother loved it. :)

SteveWA
12th Oct 2010, 08:12
Just one in close to 400 sectors and closing in on 900,000km (as SLF) flying CHC - SYD in 2005. We had already done a nice scenic flight up to somewhere over Kuringai Chase / Palm Beach and as we turned onto the runway heading everything cranked up and we did it all again. Captain called up and said that ATC had got us too close to the aircraft in front.
Only drama was having to run between aircraft to bus to get to domestic and then bus to gate to catch connection SYD-PER (no hold baggage so guessed they wouldn't have waited for me!)

In saying that I thought I was going to have a a second one today landing WLG ex AKL with a real strong Southerly blowing, seemed to float an awfully loooong way along the runway before touching down!! Those AirNZ guys up front are damn good!

Dual ground
15th Oct 2010, 07:06
One rejected take off and one go around. Both on the same sector! Edinburgh to Belfast City, Loganair, Shorts 360. It was in '90 or '91 cant remember when exactly as I was flying 4 sectors a month with them for those 2 years.

RTO due to Main Entry door warning light illuminating during take off run. Go around due to high winds in Belfast. From where I was sitting the left wing tip looked mighty close to the ground.....

proxus
26th Oct 2010, 21:23
Does anyone remember hearing about a 707 being reposessed by a skilled ferry pilot who wanted to find out could it do a roll? Answer, it could.

His name is Tex Johnson, a former test pilot for Boeing.

Here's the video of the 707 roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra_khhzuFlE

JEM60
27th Oct 2010, 07:39
He was a Boeing test pilot at the time. He was called in for tea and biccies by management and, when asked what he thought he was doing, he replied 'I was demonstrating the airplane for the clients.!.' It wasn't a repossessed aircraft. It was either the prototype, or an early production aircraft.
Concorde was also rolled twice on 1 flight. Firstly by the Captain, then the other way by the First Officer.

PaperTiger
27th Oct 2010, 13:57
N70700 the 367-80 was the one rolled; so not repossessed, not a ferry flight and not even a 707. Otherwise, spot on ! ;)

PAXboy
28th Oct 2010, 21:46
I was wasting time inside You Tube when I found a rather larger collection of GAs filmed from inside the cabin by pax or from outside by enthusiasts. For those that are anxious, I think the smooth nature of the events should be reassuring. Just search in YT for go around - but only if you have a LOT of time on hand! :8

Capot
28th Oct 2010, 23:02
Anyone who has flown often will have an abundance of stories to relate.Like one or two others here, in the course of a short military and long airline/air transport career I have probably been on a flight as a passenger in a transport aircraft to somewhere and back about once every 2/3 weeks on average since the '60s, until a few years ago mostly free on duty. (DC3, F27, Skyvan, DC6, DC7, Britannia, Convair Coronado, Electra, Rapide, Dove, Heron, Twin Otter, Bandeirante, Herald, Islander, Trislander, Kingair, Partenavia, Do 227, BAC 1-11, Airbus 310/320/330/340, DHC Dash 7, Bombardier Dash 8, TU134, Concorde, various models of B707/727/737/747/757/767/777, L1011, DC10, VC10, RAF Shackleton, Army Beaver, RAF Hastings, Beverleys, and Argosies (1-way trips with an umbrella in those 3), assorted helicopters etc etc.

The point of this rigmarole is not to boast (it's not much to boast about) but to say that in all those flights, with some scary airlines, apart from one MEA Coronado landing at Beirut which continued into the long grass, gently, after a latish touchdown I have not experienced a single incident of any kind in any civil or military transport aircraft, GA, RTO, passenger run amuk, pilot ditto, fire, hijack, fight, severe turbulence, nothing. Not even a detectable inflight shut-down.

What a dull life it's been compared to some. But I quite like it that way.

When flying myself in my own or a hired aircraft (single, twin and glider) it's been a very different story, but that's self-inflicted.

Invicta DC4
29th Oct 2010, 07:29
As a passenger:

3 GAs in 250 flights - United 747-200 at LAX, BA 747-400 at ORD & Continental 737-800 at EWR

1 RTO - Eastern Tristar at MIA