PDA

View Full Version : UK airport security screening/US airports prior 9/11

lukemc1980
7th Sep 2010, 17:29
Hi,

I am curious to when security screening at UK airports became mandatory I have read on the Internet that security at US airports using the metal detector archways became mandatory in January 1973 (as a response to the spate of hijackings in the late 60s/early 70s) but when was security screening introduced at UK airports was it before then or after then? Where the early security checks like today or did they just have metal detectors at first, not x-ray machines? And back in the 60s/70s were airports divided into a public landside area and a sterile airside area as they are today, or could anyone wonder around anywhere they wanted?

Also before 9/11 at US airports was it possible to enter the gate areas of most airports without being in possession of a boarding pass? If so did you still have to go though the security check if you where not flying and where going to meet people at the gate. Why was this the case as in most other countries the gate areas at an airport was only open to ticketed passengers and certain airport employees.

Luke

Chuchinchow
7th Sep 2010, 21:46
Welcome to the boards, LukeMC1980.

I cannot speak for UK airports, but I can tell you that (physical) security screening was introduced at BGN in early 1970. There had been a strict division between the air and land sides for a long time before that, but that was mainly to enforce incoming customs control.

After passing through passport control, outgoing pax were sent into curtained cubicles for a superficial body frisk. The magnetic arch was introduced quite a long time after that.

Pini Schiff, who (until recently) was the head of airport security in Israel, started off his career as a "frisker" after completing his national service in the Israel Defence Force.

radeng
8th Sep 2010, 10:18
When I started flying frequently, which was 1979, hand baggage wen through metal detectors. Everything stopped on one occasion at Heathrow in th early 90's - I was President of a national society at the time and was going to a function abroad. That meant that I had the Presidents gold chain of office with me, and it showed absolutely solid black on the Xray. So they needed to see it.

In those days, screwdrivers, pliers, cutters etc were accepted as 'necessary tools of trade'. Complications came with printed circuit boards in sealed bags with security requirements......limitations on who could see them. Eventually, except in dire emergency, we had them sent in the diplomatic bag.

PaperTiger
8th Sep 2010, 14:28
Yes, prior to 9/11 anyone could enter the airside gate areas at US airports after passing through the WTMD. Some airports did impose a restriction at busy times but it was a local thing.

JWP1938
9th Sep 2010, 10:48
How things have changed security wise. In January 2000 wife and I moved to Spain. A friend and his wife drove my car and goods over, we flew over, they met us at Alicante airport and, after a week's holiday with us, they flew back to UK. Due to prices/dates etc. it worked out cheaper for us to buy a return Gatwick - Alicante. When they were to return we took them to the airport, we checked in (Air 2000 I think), handed them our boarding passes and went back to our Spanish home. They flew back to Gatwick as us with no problems at all. Probably illegal (but we were skint) and impossible nowadays I should think.