PDA

View Full Version : Do you recommend OAA than SFC?

txeriff
7th Sep 2010, 11:52
hi there,

im just looking for distance ATPL trainning. i just read very good from flySFC.

Do u think it would be much better going to OAA?

thanks!

txeriff
7th Sep 2010, 13:12
any1?

:O........

stuclark
7th Sep 2010, 13:18
Bristol, All the way.

speedover60
7th Sep 2010, 13:35
Stapleford Flight Centre, all the way ;)

G CEXO
7th Sep 2010, 15:36
Bristol GS all the way.....

txeriff
7th Sep 2010, 17:32
bristol 2 /sfc 1

the problem i see with bristol is that is a bit far, i checked with google maps...

SFC seems closer to central london (20 miles according google maps)

bristol is 126 miles according google maps.

so if i need to go a couple of times for the lessons it would be better a closer one.

OAA seems like has bases on heathrow, gatwick... so u can land and stay there as they probs will offer accomodation for that time.

what do u think guys?

thanks for the info!
:ok:

MagicTiger
7th Sep 2010, 17:51
txeriff - Seems nobody knows anything what they are talking about here!

SFC does not do ground school! - London Met is normally for SFC.

Oxford, is in Oxford.

Bristol GS is distance learning, you study at home, and go few weeks to Bristol.

I recommend first you use the search button and find out what you want, and try to learn some of the right terms, so people know what you are asking about.

Either you do full time at school or you do self study/distance learning. You can't normally just drop by when you feel like it.

In school - 6 months, self study 12 to 15 months study time. Good luck!

txeriff
7th Sep 2010, 19:40
i knew it was about 2 year distance learning.

OAA location is not in oxford, i looked at their website.

Adios
7th Sep 2010, 19:57
OAA's Gatwick and Heathrow locations only offer Type Ratings. If you want to do JAA ATPL theory, they offer distance learning or resident courses, but the DL brush ups are in Oxford, as are the resident courses and exams.

If you couldn't figure this out on your own, are you really cut out for distance learning?

hollingworthp
7th Sep 2010, 20:11
If you couldn't figure this out on your own, are you really cut out for distance learning?

Just remember to go for C or the longest answer :cool:

mad_jock
7th Sep 2010, 20:12
Exams can be taken in any of the exam centers.

And DL is not 2 years. There are a heap of regulations about time scales sitting the exams and also how long they are valid for.

You really need to go away and research what you are letting yourself into and also what ticks in which boxes you require to take this further.

txeriff
8th Sep 2010, 07:17
u are very funny up there....

i just went into their website and saw in contact section the base, etc i didnt ask so i tought it was on the aiport like other schools.

and i know is not ******* 2 years and it has a maximum restriction. but its almost 2 years.

mad_jock
8th Sep 2010, 09:21
Well I did it all through OAA in less than 6 months.

txeriff
8th Sep 2010, 09:35
@mad_jock but not in distance trainning right?

mad_jock
8th Sep 2010, 10:15
yes in distance learning. I know folk that have done it quicker as well.
There is no way you could get a residential course done in the same time. I met folk that were doing the residential course on the first brush up and when I went back for the second they hadn't even finished the first set of exams studying

Depends how thick you are and what your background is.

And from your posts you seem to have not alot of clue about what distance learning is. The requirements for it. What the process is for it. Or for that matter what it actually involves. It takes quite a bit of self motivation and dedication to work your way through the 13 books. The drop out rate is huge at this stage.

txeriff
8th Sep 2010, 10:34
well, i know its 18 months, and is divived in 2 or 3 phases, depending school.

im PPL actually so i have an idea of whats going on i guess.

i have 100 access questions from londomet, most of em seem ok, other i dont remeber but not very difficult. Some math to refresh, some navigation questions i can answer easy, changes between units (from nm to km how much is it ...)

if you remeber the basics its easy.

mad_jock
8th Sep 2010, 12:07
im PPL actually so i have an idea of whats going on i guess.

That is pretty obvious.

You need to sit down with a bit of paper and lasors (you can get this on the CAA web site)

Then plan out your different options along with costs.

So

PPL- done

Hour building

Ground School

CPL

IR

MCC

txeriff
8th Sep 2010, 12:17
i did lots of calcs, looked everywhere, here and there.

total amount probs will be near 30.000 euro. (yeah, im from foreign country, guess where)

i plan hour building after atpl theorical.

mad_jock
8th Sep 2010, 13:05
I suggest you go do some more research. Because you appear to have no clue at all about the ground school phase of the training.

txeriff
9th Sep 2010, 07:25
@mad_jock ok then tell me.

everyone here seems to know much about everything.

every1 is laughing to me cos i just joined and treating me like a noob didnt look much.

i know what involves the whole trainning. i looked lots.

i mailed some schools, asking for details info...

of cours, i dont know whats going on on the bursh up but i assume its a fast lessons days.

im IT developer im not a retarded as you pretend me to be.

hollingworthp
9th Sep 2010, 08:06
Caution - Troll alert

mad_jock
9th Sep 2010, 12:24
I don't know, now he has admited being a developer it does fit in with quite a few I had to deal with as a sys admin. Thick as ****e and wanting everyone else to sort thier problems out because they can't be arsed opening a book and doing it themselves.

But your prob right its a troll.

clanger32
9th Sep 2010, 12:39
txeriff

I'll be a bit kinder than some of the others have been, but you would do well to look at what they're telling you - because to be frank it's very clear, so if you have failed to understood what the GS component ACTUALLY entails - and WHERE it is! then, well....you're going to have all sorts of fun when you come to get your head around Gen Nav, performance, flight planning etc

So - for avoidance of any doubt GS can be done one of two ways (at any provider)
1/ Full time residential (which IS not optional in Integrated training, but IS available as an option for modular students)
2/ Part time modular

If you go route 1, then you will be expected to find accomodation close to the place in which the GS is given, for the duration of the ground school course. In the case of Oxford, this is Oxford airport (sorry, sorry ....."Oxford LONDON" airport... :hmm:) based in Kidlington, just outside Oxford. Fact. OAA DO have centres all over the shop, it's true, but for base level ATPL groundschool training, it's Oxford. end of. Likewise, I don't know the exact address, but if you go to Bristol, it will be at their premises, IN BRISTOL. Fact.

This route will take about six months and you'll likely study the modules in two 'sets' of around about seven subjects each. You will therefore take 7 exams after about 3 months and the remaining 7 about 3 months after that. You're then free to do whatever the hell else it is you want to do.

If you go route (2) Then you will be provided a bunch of notes and manuals and you'll go through it at your own pace, in your own time. You can take 1 exam a month, or all 14 (if you were certifiably mad and wanted to fail at least one in all probability) in one month. On MOST distance learning courses, you'll book yourself onto a "brush up" course of some description, once you figure you know most of the stuff in the first set of exams you want to take. At this "brush up" course, which typically will be of about 1-2 weeks duration FULL TIME, the instructors will knock into shape anything you're not quite sure about. Again, using the specific examples of Oxford and Bristol....you'll be required to lodge at - suprise, suprise- Oxford or Bristol for these brush up sessions. Full time - you don't get to go home at the end of every day....well unless you live close enough to commute!

There are distinct pros and cons to both routes....you should look at things like time to learn/complete, the financial impact of being out of work for 6 months Vs earning whilst you learn, The impact of trying to learn complex technical stuff whilst you're trying to hold down a day job, the benefit of having someone who really knows the subject there to ask at every turn, the ability to cut out some of the vast amount of material you don't really need to know, the ability to time when you take the exams a bit and so on.

I don't necessarily agree with Mad Jocks tone, or indeed the content of a lot of what he says, but he has given you some sterling advice in post 17. Get hold of Lasors, for there are some weird rules about needing to complete your professional flying training within 3 years of exams date (I can't remember off the top of my head whether it's 3 years from first exam or last, or whether it's IR or just CPL. Work out what your training route will look like - and I would be amazed if you could do it all for 30k Euros, - And look at lots of different GS providers, because you may find one will do it in a slightly different way that works best for you.

txeriff
9th Sep 2010, 12:48
@clanger32

as i told in another threads, i was looking for distance atpl. i know there are 2 ways. My PPL school is providing the trainning but i guess they using a distance trainning certified for another school+ some lessons, so it looks crap.

i said 30.000 euro cos i found some cheap in jerez, spain.

- | Fly-in-Spain | - (http://www.fly-in-spain.com/es/flugzeuge/hourbuilding_2.php)

so that could be a place to end the required ours. lets say 12.000

we still have to do IR+ME but we still have some margin departing from 30.000, if its more no prob.

so stop talking to me like a noob doesnt know what is talking about.

i write a lot of code lines for applications daily.

clanger32
9th Sep 2010, 13:26
txeriff
"so stop talking to me like a noob doesnt know what is talking about"
Here's the news. If you only have a PPL, then you ARE a noob, like it or not - and you clearly DON'T know what you're talking about. Alright, as a PPL you're not completely green, but when you're sitting there in a couple years time with your freshly minted CPL/ME/IR, you'll recognise just how little you know at THAT point, let alone right now.

I was trying to help you, but clearly being a code writer means you know far better, so there is little point in trying to help you out. That speaking as someone that manages code writers on a day to day basis.

Take a little advice. PLEASE take a Little advice. Search through these forums. There are hundreds and hundred and hundreds of modular students who have posted (boasted?) whilst "in process" that they can do it for only €30000. Then look again for posts where people have ACTUALLY posted their final training costs. Those who actually have the Cojones to post what it ACTUALLY cost, as oposed to the bravado of pre completion. You'll find most of them run to closer to €50000+. This is why I said I'd be suprised if you could do it for 30k. Not "you CAN'T" do it, just "I'd be suprised"

On ground school....do what you want, cos you're clearly not going to listen to those of us that have been there and done it.

Hollingworth, MadJock - I think you're right...."who's that clip-clopping over my bandwidth..."

txeriff
9th Sep 2010, 13:42
lets forget about this thread im bored of lessons, ppl laughing... forget it.

i know im not a pilot, im some1 that made some trainning and knows how to land and take off almost safe, thats all.

i know how much is full atpl nowdays, about 60.000. i assume that its probs near 50.000. i already spent about 10.000 euro.