PDA

View Full Version : Insurance cost increase

nouseforaname
7th Sep 2010, 08:59
We privately operate an N reg Hughes 500 C, with an insured hull value of £180,000 GBP.

Our insurance this year has increased by £1,500! has anyone else experienced an increase in insurance on their machines.?

Thanks in advance.

CRAZYBROADSWORD
7th Sep 2010, 09:28
well my car insurance has gone up £100 this year

krypton_john
7th Sep 2010, 10:25
Sounds like some of you guys need to do the numbers, get together, and start up your own insurance cooperative. You can part fund it yourselves and get a reinsurance company to back it for a few years until you are fully funded.

nouseforaname
7th Sep 2010, 13:00
I was kind of directing this at any private helicopter operators in the UK to see if any of their insurance costs had gone up in 2010. Not going to start my own insurance company just yet.....

Gaseous
7th Sep 2010, 20:55
Just renewed mine with Heywards. No change from last year but I only do third party. Yes - its a rip off.

PENNINE BOY
30th Nov 2010, 22:58
Is there any other brokers/insurance companies in the UK or Europe other than Haywards?

Have just had a quote for renewal that is 25% dearer than last year, without having a claim. :ugh:

I know that car insurance has rocketed due to personnal injury claims, but come on.:ugh:

PB

nouseforaname
1st Dec 2010, 16:21
I had a good snoop around and couldn't really find anyone else. Try and do a deal with them. Make the value of your machine realistic, perhaps name the pilots if possible, make sure the min. total time of the pilots insured is right up to the max of your own and whoever is flying it. These factors brought mine down by about £2k.

500e
1st Dec 2010, 16:28
ALLIANZE in Austria,

Houlder Insurance Services Ltd (http://www.houlder.co.uk)

There was a thread some time ago regarding this
"nigelh". was interested also

nigelh
1st Dec 2010, 23:49
I did try to get a syndicate together ...maybe 20-30 aircraft ....all singles around 3-500k hull ( No R22 and no training and def no full autos ) . There was v little interest even when i reckoned on a 25 -30% saving .
My insurance has reduced by around 20% by having min hrs of 500 and no training etc I still firmly believe that if the insurance cos banned full down autos they could radically reduce the rates ...just my view ...also i think they are a pointless excercise resulting in no extra safety but a load of bent machines .

CSC 123
2nd Dec 2010, 00:10
Other insurers in the Aviation market in the Uk are 1. Marsh and 2. Willis

Hughes500
2nd Dec 2010, 16:38
Nigel

What boll--s about full down autos, I have done well over 1000 with 300's 500's and gazelles and havent yet bent a machine so why ban them. They have a huge confidence ability for the student in knowing he can do it rather than we will end up in a hover with the risk of overspeeding the engine, in a too higher hover etc etc !

stix
3rd Dec 2010, 10:39
exactly, if you can't auto to the ground how can you learn

PENNINE BOY
3rd Dec 2010, 22:33
A bit of thread creep coming on!

Most policies forbid autos unless acccompanied by a flying instructor.

What we are looking for are companies that would look at insuring helicopters. :ok:

nigelh
4th Dec 2010, 15:58
I am also quite capable of doing them ...don't shoot the messenger !! The statistics are there ... Loads of choppers get bent practicing something that is v v unlikely to happen . Insurance cos should ban all autos to ground other than demos by instructors with say 1000 hrs . They are fun but in no way necessary or helping safety .
Ps I used to be an instructor and I used to demo but students did power recovery after flare . I just want the dozens of robbos crashing doing eol,s to go to another insurance co so we can get 25% cheaper quotes !!

topendtorque
5th Dec 2010, 00:29
May i make a suggestion, here you are trying to farm the insurance field.

If you wish to reduce the ploughing and increase the yield;

Do as nigelh suggests, ban the practice autos for the participating aircraft,

but insist on all participating pilots to be proficient and current in them, in someone else machine.

I.E A flying school whose business it is to hire aircraft and instructors to teach and check proficiency at, amongst other things, safe EOL's.