PDA

View Full Version : Pilots JOBS UNTIL 2030

surfer of desert
6th Sep 2010, 15:49
Pilots needed as Asia travel boom creates shortage

HIGH FLYERS: Airlines worldwide need an average of 49,900 pilots a year from 2010 to 2030 as fleets expand.(Getty Images)
[/CENTER]

Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd, Qantas Airways Ltd. and Emirates Airline are awaiting deliveries of about 400 planes to capitalize on Asia’s rising prosperity. Finding pilots is the next job.

Boeing Co expects the region’s carriers to be the biggest buyers of twin-aisle planes as travel grows in China and India, home to a combined 1.1 billion middle-class people. Asia-Pacific airlines will buy about 8,000 planes worth $1.2 trillion over the next 20 years, Airbus SAS said.

Airlines worldwide need an average of 49,900 pilots a year from 2010 to 2030 as fleets expand, yet current training capacity is only 47,025, according to the International Civil Aviation Organization in Montreal. That is sparking bidding wars as Emirates offers tax-free salaries and four-bedroom villas for captains, and AirAsia Bhd., the region’s biggest budget airline, gives tuition-free training.

“It’s a major issue and will be a big challenge to the industry’s growth,” said Binit Somaia, a Sydney-based analyst for the Centre for Asia Pacific Aviation. “Even if you can find the pilots, you have to pay top dollar for them because they are so scarce.”

China, the world’s fastest-growing major aviation market, likely will account for a third of the region’s orders, Airbus, the world’s biggest aircraft maker, said in February. Its economy will grow 10.5 percent this year, compared with world growth of 4.6 percent, according to International Monetary Fund estimates.

India, with estimated growth of 9.4 percent this year, may overtake China as the world’s fastest-growing major economy as early as 2013, according to Morgan Stanley.

This year, the region’s carriers ordered 133 commercial jets with more than 100 seats, or 23 percent of the global total, according to Ascend Worldwide Ltd., a London-based aviation forecaster and data provider.

“There will be a shortage of pilots, and this is going to last for a while because it takes time to produce a good pilot,” said Elmer Pena, president of the Airline Pilots Association of the Philippines.

Philippine Airlines Inc. canceled flights in July and August and rebooked passengers after losing 27 pilots to higher paying jobs abroad.

The demand in Asia contrasts with the 4,500 U.S. airline pilots on furlough, according to figures compiled by Kit Darby, a retired United Airlines pilot now running an Atlanta-based consulting firm.

That situation shouldn’t last long. The global fleet of cargo and large passenger planes will double to nearly 32,000 by 2028 from 15,750 last year, according to Airbus.

The major US airlines are expected to hire more than 40,000 pilots in the next 12 years, said Louis Smith, president of FltOps.com, which provides career counseling services and sponsors job fairs.

World passenger traffic is expected to increase an average of 4.7 percent a year between 2009 and 2028, according to Airbus.

“I believe one can expect serious shortages among the foreign carriers who can’t afford to pay what it takes to attract qualified pilots,” Smith said.

Emirates is the largest Arab airline with more than 200 planes on order. It aims to recruit 250 pilots this year and double that number in 2011, it said in a statement.

The company, which needs more than $28 billion through 2017 for expansion, sought to recruit in Houston, Madrid and Singapore.

Cathay Pacific, Hong Kong’s biggest carrier, will recruit 1,000 people, including crew, Chief Operating Officer John Slosar said.

PT Garuda Indonesia placed a newspaper advertisement last month seeking pilots “fluent in English and of good character.” Jetstar, the budget arm of Qantas, plans to recruit 120 more pilots by next summer.

Singapore Airlines Ltd. and AirAsia, based near Kuala Lumpur, set up their own tuition-free training academies. Singapore Air’s flying college graduates about 150 cadet pilots a year, while AirAsia’s facility trains as many as 500 a year.

Graduates must stay with the budget carrier for five years, AirAsia Chief Executive Officer Tony Fernandes said.

New flight schools also are opening. CAPA is investing at least $125 million to build an aerospace university in India that can train about 300 pilots a year, Somaia said.

The shortage, and hiring by a new crop of budget carriers, also could push wages higher.

“There is a misconception that low-cost airlines pay lower salaries,” said Tony Davis, chief executive officer of budget carrier Tiger Airways Holdings Ltd., part-owned by Singapore Air “We couldn’t do that in a competitive market.”

Basic pay for Singapore Air captains flying twin-aisle Boeing 777s or the Airbus A330s begin at S$9,300 ($6,870) a month, excluding allowances, said P. James, president of the Air Line Pilots Association of Singapore. They also earn a productivity allowance of as much as S$3,800 for flying 70 hours a month.

Emirates offers a starting monthly salary of 34,410 dirhams ($9,370) for captains, according to its website. That excludes benefits such as hourly flying and productivity payments.

Its other perks include a tax-free basic salary, profit sharing, villas for captains and free dry cleaning of uniforms, its website said. Those incentives help attract candidates to an increasingly demanding job, said Barry Jackson, president of the Australian and International Pilots Association, who has been a pilot at Qantas since 1987.

“Young people these days prefer to become doctors or lawyers,” he said. “This sort of career path is becoming less desirable.” (Bloomberg)

Jetjock330
6th Sep 2010, 16:52
Air India Express (http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticleNew.asp?section=theuae&xfile=data/theuae/2010/september/theuae_september134.xml) has run out of pilots

Pilot shortage forces budget airline to cut flights
(Staff Report)

6 September 2010
India’s low budget carrier Air India Express will stop its daily flight from Sharjah to Kochi and will curtail over 200 other flight services between India and the Gulf sectors till Oct end.
The move, attributed mainly to a shortage of pilots and cabin crew, means that the travel plans of thousands of passengers between the GCC and India will have to be altered shortly.
http://www.khaleejtimes.com/images/airindia1_06092010.jpgAir India’s Regional Manager for Gulf Abhay Pathak said the AIE would temporarily cut down the frequency of services between India and the UAE, Muscat and Kuwait, starting from September 7 “as part of correcting the schedule due to commercial and operational reasons.”
Though he did not elaborate on the commercial reasons, Pathak said the airline was rescheduling the operations of the Gulf services to abide by the rule that airline crew should not fly more than 10,000 hours per year.
“Cabin crew are not supposed to exceed 1,000 hours of flying in a year. We are doing this rescheduling of flights because of this. We have some commercial requirements as well,” he told Khaleej Times on Sunday.
Claiming that the changes in flight schedules would not affect the passengers during the generally lean air traffic period after Ramadan and school vacations, Pathak said adequate arrangements would be made to ensure passengers’ convenience.
“Only the Air India Express flight services are getting rescheduled. We have the IC-coded flights (formerly Indian Airlines) flying full-fledged without any changes in the schedule from all the destinations, where AIE schedules are changed. So, they are complementing each other,” he said.
With the only AIE daily flight between Sharjah and Kochi standing cancelled and the daily services from Dubai, Sharjah and Abu Dhabi to different airports in Kerala being cut down by two or three per week.
The passengers flying between the UAE and the south Indian state of Kerala are more likely to be affected due to the shortage of flights.

Just glad I don't have to fly 10000hrs a year;)

Capt - Chaos
6th Sep 2010, 16:55
In the coming global depression.... those 400 airplanes on order for asia will evaporate

more bloomberg repeating some "industry insider" trying to juice some stock for free......

Flat Cap
6th Sep 2010, 19:52
Blimey are we at the "forth-coming pilot shortage" stage of the aviation cycle again already? Comes around quick doesn't it

F-C

Red max
7th Sep 2010, 02:57
I wonder who sponsored that research, most probably flying schools .

“Young people these days prefer to become doctors or lawyers,” he said. “This sort of career path is becoming less desirable.”

That is bullocks ,I've seen Doctors , bankers , lawyers ,engineers young and old change their careers to become pilots , that plus thousands of laid off pilots and new low time pilots , I can't see the pilot shortage happening any time soon. but I really hope I'm wrong though.

Ben_Al_Katre
7th Sep 2010, 03:20
Sorry to disagree with you Red Max but considering that companies nowadays keep changing the T&C arbitrarily almost every week, I can assure you that after many years in the industry, I would gladly hang my wings to become a Plastic Surgeon or sumthin' like that; just seeing and/or creating nice booties all day. Much better than seeing our managers' faces, don't you think?

Luke SkyToddler
7th Sep 2010, 05:06
Though he did not elaborate on the commercial reasons, Pathak said the airline was rescheduling the operations of the Gulf services to abide by the rule that airline crew should not fly more than 10,000 hours per year.

Wow ... looks like the Indians have REALLY got a pilot shortage :eek:

Red max
7th Sep 2010, 09:00
Ben_Al_Katre , Nah you'll probably be doing surgery most of the time on old wrinkley hags lol , I don't like cutting and butchering people up anyway !, I love the aviation world and i don't want to do anything else , It's just these researches that give an unrealistic view of the industry , the only ones who profit from these studies are flying schools, Again i hope I'm wrong and everything turns around in the future and these studies turn out right.

ixg888
12th Dec 2012, 08:43
Now is a good time train. However, don't expect too much in job absorption. Pretty much a lame ass percentage of getting hired immediately. Ure competing with old hags and their spouses their niece their kids whatsoever. Its a who you know industry.

mastery
14th Dec 2012, 04:16
Form the post, looks like the type rating and flying schools are sponsoring the article to make sure they get continue students for more profits.

Everyone knows there are no jobs now especially low hour pilots like us, except a limited number of slots which are all p2f now.

jet_737ng
14th Dec 2012, 06:32
Back 2006-07 The media went crazy in india ( also asia ) about shortage of pilots and starting quoting enormous salaries supposedly Pilots make :rolleyes:.

Loads of people left their careers in shipping , Information tech, engineers , managers , cabin crews etc spent their hard earned savings , or mortgaged their houses to pay for their licenses and type ratings. Most today are still dont have jobs as pilots . The lucky ones who do are getting screwed over by miserly airline managements . Working conditions in airlnes are getting tougher every year..

Today whenever a kid ask me about taking aviation as a career, I advise him/her study hard , get a world class degree/MBA. Making loads of money and take up Flying as HOBBY :)....

The Turtle
14th Dec 2012, 09:17
My hometown dentist (we are the same age) has his own practice of four DDS, works three-and-a-half days a week, lives on his boat (newest wifey has this house), laughs more in a day than I do in a week, and rotates three new hygentists in every two years

i think i chose poorly....

Likeitis
14th Dec 2012, 10:41
My litmus test of pilot sanity is as follows.

"Would you allow your children to be commercial pilots?"

Top five answers from sane to bat **** crazy.

1. F no!
2. Are you f'ing kidding me?
3. Probably not
4. Yes
5. I see no problem with it.

Actually I'm the idiot in this industry after guidance to avoid from my family who has been doing this crap since the 1920's.