PDA

View Full Version : BFJT requirements

Mulvanj
6th Sep 2010, 11:35
I've had my heart and head set on the RAF and fast jets since I was a young kid and I've recently been looking through lots of information about the selection process, EFT, etc.
Everything I've looked at so far has said something along the lines of "you will then be streamed into Fast Jets, Rotary Wing or Multi Engine training."
I was just wondering what the criteria are for BFJT, or what kind of attributes the RAF look for in a pilot to send them down the fast jet path? Especially since it's probably hard to demonstrate your fighter pilot skills in a Tutor (I wouldn't know, haven't tried!)

Thanks in advance for your replies!
:ok:

Bob Viking
6th Sep 2010, 13:50
I could make jokes about prerequisites including being devilishly handsome, possessing the brains of a rocket scientist and having genital appendages to make Desert Orchid (Grand National winner of old!) jealous, but that would be childish!
The EFT instructors will basically look at your flying performance at EFT and decide, based on years of experience, where you will be best suited to.
For FJs they will be looking for the mystical 'spare mental capacity' to prove you will be able to cope when things are speeded up a little as you progress through training. Other than that you just try as hard as you can and accept whatever decision is made.
At the end of the day, if I can do it....
BV:ok:
PS. You will no doubt be told by some of the more grumpy members of this forum to read the sticky at the top of the forum which I'm sure you have already done!!

green granite
6th Sep 2010, 14:27
Read David Mason's book "Combat Ready"

Evalu8ter
6th Sep 2010, 14:41
Mulvanj,
Not wishing to sound downbeat, or to gainsay the sound advice that you've already received, but there is more to streaming at the moment than spare capacity and/or the right attitude. The needs of the Service trump the individuals' wishes. With the FJ force facing a likely mauling in numbers post-SDSR I'd probably wager that an increased % will be streamed RW as it seems to be the least likely to be harshly cut. After "Options for Change" in the early 90s (the last time the FJ force was culled) me and many of my compatriots were restreamed after FJLIN on Tucanos, and I've heard that it's starting again.

The best of luck, but be prepared for a RW/ME slot if the numbers for FJ just aren't there. Any way you go, you'll find a rewarding career ahead of you.

Pontius Navigator
6th Sep 2010, 15:39
IMHO being streamed FJ is not recognition that you are a Tom Cruise in the making. Not a few u/t pilots are streamed FJ on a make or break premise. RW OTOH probably has as much if not more skills for aircraft handling.

On a FJ someone will inevitably have landed at the airfield where you are bound; with RW you will often be the first. That needs special skills.

Torque Tonight
6th Sep 2010, 15:54
Rotary mates have more fun. Fact.

airborne_artist
6th Sep 2010, 17:02
having genital appendages to make Desert Orchid (Grand National winner of old!) jealous, but that would be childish!Desert Orchid may have had a big schlong, but he was also a gelding ... :E

Long Drop
6th Sep 2010, 17:02
Desert Orchid never won the National. She won the Gold Cup and was an F3 back seater.

Bob Viking
6th Sep 2010, 19:20
Alright, busted. It was the first name that came to hand.
As for you, Torque tonight. Fast Jet pilots are all better looking. Fact.
BV:E:ok:

Melchett01
6th Sep 2010, 19:32
As for you, Torque tonight. Fast Jet pilots are all better looking. Fact.

So good looking in fact that they have to be shut away in a small compartment on the front of a jet engine wearing an almost full face mask - allegedly to provide oxygen - but which we all know is to cover their hideous features.

Good looking indeed :yuk:

Pontius Navigator
6th Sep 2010, 20:18
BV,

Not at all. The best looking pilot I ever saw was a budgie pilot, all red rosey cheeks, I could have kissed him ..............

As we were winched up out of Plymouth Sound with the water temp at 2deg C and no immersion suits in January. Things got even colder until we were dropped, all jelly legged, onto the marine craft.

Bob Viking
7th Sep 2010, 07:43
Some light hearted and friendly banter for a change, without resorting to name calling and claims of which is the better force/job/aircraft type etc...
Long may it reign.
BV:ok:
PS. Must remember to check the colour of the moon tonight!

Lafyar Cokov
7th Sep 2010, 08:35
Yeah but fast jet guys are all arogant t055ers, Multi-engine pukes are only there because they are too cr4p to do anything else - and as for the Army and Navy - what a bunch of ***** - also original poster why didn't you read the sticky at the top of the page - you'll never make it as a military pilot if you ask your own questions - God you all make me sick!!!!! Argghghhghgh:yuk::yuk::mad::mad::ugh::ugh::ugh:: ::=:=

(Sorry - I just felt I had to import some balance to this thread - it was all getting too 'nice')

London Eye
7th Sep 2010, 17:08
LC,

I am very disappointed with your post.....you have not picked up one grammar or spelling error by another poster in a pedantic manner :}. This site will be getting a bad name!

heights good
7th Sep 2010, 18:05
"I could make jokes about prerequisites including being devilishly handsome, possessing the brains of a rocket scientist and having genital appendages to make Desert Orchid (Grand National winner of old!) jealous, but that would be childish!"

Childish... And miles from the truth :-)

Pilots for conversation.........................