PDA

View Full Version : RAAF F111 last Dump and Burn over Brisbane

shebalso
6th Sep 2010, 05:55
Saturday 4th September 2020 Brisbane Australia had its last F111 Dump and Burn at Riverfire Festival. F111 retires in December 2010.

See my 50 second Video taken with Canon DSLR below

F111 last Flame 50 seconds Video. Best Viewed Full Screen | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/shebalso/4959841424/)

fallmonk
6th Sep 2010, 10:29
One hell off a party trick !
Shame to see the "pig" go :-(
thanks for the post

shebalso
6th Sep 2010, 10:50
Always put on a pleasing display over Brisbane. Super Hornet next year without the flame.

GreenKnight121
6th Sep 2010, 20:49
Saturday 4th September 2020

Are you sure? :p

shebalso
6th Sep 2010, 21:02
This event attacts a 500,000 crowd. The Squadron CO mentioned on National Radio that Super Hornet could replace the F111 but this woud have to be before dark. Depend on Government authority.

RenegadeMan
6th Sep 2010, 21:33
That's a great video shebalso.

Here's mine from down in amongst the crowds at Southbank. Not to the same quality as yours but it conveys the feeling the experience gave (yes that's me yelling and hollering....;)!)

gF5CMjVeTUI

Anyone viewing this, if you were never present for an F111 dump and burn you really missed something amazing!

Yeller_Gait
7th Sep 2010, 00:54
Excellent video Renegade.

I am looking forward to seeing the F-111 for the first and last time, later this month at the Williamtown airshow.

Y_G

BentStick
7th Sep 2010, 03:26
Does anyone know what happened to #2 on the first pass to open the show?

I was at the Riverside Centre and on the first pass, I saw #2 track down the Story Bridge reach of the river slightly higher and later than expected and in less than mini burner.

:confused:

fetcheveryone
7th Sep 2010, 10:47
What exactly is a 'dump and burn'?

ShyTorque
7th Sep 2010, 10:50
It's when fuel is dumped from the aircraft's tanks and lit by use of afterburner.

I saw this at RAF Finningley in 1977. The aircraft was lower than the one in this video. We felt the heat!

Green Flash
7th Sep 2010, 13:22
ShyT - I too was at Finningley in '77 and felt the heat! I must say that in daylight it looks (and feels!) quite spectacular but at night it's the dogs conkers, especially the climb into cloud. One hell of a trick:ok:

Geehovah
7th Sep 2010, 15:08
Many moons ago, I rolled in behind a USAF F111 heading North in the Wash. He torched as we closed to about 500 yds. The most impressive sight I think I've ever seen.

Quite a jet and it'll be missed.

shebalso
7th Sep 2010, 19:44
The noise and heat is something that made the crowd return each year for Riverfire. Alas, gone for ever. I guess the Super Hornet will not be seen at night but may give a display just prior to twilight.

Some still photos at URL below

Flickr: Brisbane Meetup (http://www.flickr.com/groups/brisbane_meetup/)

MATELO
8th Sep 2010, 00:04
Was at Coltishall in the early 90's and heard a switchboard recording.....

"Raf Coltishall"
"Hello, can I report an aircraft crash"
"Ok,Certainly. what is your name"
"Mrs Smith"
"Can I take some details"
"Yes, it was a F111 from RAF Lakenheath with 2 people on board which has crashed 2 miles west of Sculthorpe"
"Ok Mrs Smith, you said Lakenheath and 2 people on board??"
"Yes, that is correct"

lots of speaking in the background
"Mrs Smith, how could you possibly know that"

"Because the plane crashed into my backgarden and the pilots are sat at my breakfast table having a cup of tea"

That is a true story.

Trackmaster
8th Sep 2010, 02:22
Yes, I also wondered about #2.

He was around at high level for the dump at the close of the show.

gileraguy
8th Sep 2010, 02:58
shot from the roof

8jwO3gdYPSc

fetcheveryone
8th Sep 2010, 12:53
Thanks ShyTorque - a controlled burn then. Does the flame 'blow out' as the aircraft accelerates or only when the fuel flow is cut?

Mike7777777
8th Sep 2010, 18:49
That's very impressive! I didn't know it could be achieved in such a controlled manner.

Is there anything in the UK that can do this? Would "the authorities" need to be told beforehand ....?

BentStick
9th Sep 2010, 03:31
Thanks ShyTorque - a controlled burn then. Does the flame 'blow out' as the aircraft accelerates or only when the fuel flow is cut?

The flame doesn't "blow out", but the shape of the flame is speed dependant (the Torch is fatter at low speed and elongates as speed increases).

When we were at RIAT for the RAF's 75th birthday, I had a Frecce driver ask me if we used it as an IR missile countermeasure :D