PDA

View Full Version : Uniform

girl with a stick
6th Sep 2010, 05:12
Coming up to my CPL Flight Test, my instructor has suggested donning a uniform - it's not school policy, but recommended, apparently, to get one in the "professional groove" ...

It feels weird....

Thoughts?

Pontius
6th Sep 2010, 05:21
French maid outfit might help you out but it's not recommended for blokes :}.

Dreamflyer1000
6th Sep 2010, 05:32
makes you feel like a REAL pilot. :D

But hes right..it seriously helps get you in the right 'frame of mind'

girl with a stick
6th Sep 2010, 05:41
French maid outfit might help you out

And there I was thinking "nun"....

Oxidant
6th Sep 2010, 05:47
Nurse!!?:E

But, being sensible (only for a minute) black slacks, a white shirt & polished shoes, will always give a good impression. Best of luck!

Wally Mk2
6th Sep 2010, 07:18
Okay 'GWAS' seeing as this is a CPL test one can only assume you intend to fly commercially some day correct? So assuming that being the case why not get a uniform now & start wearing it.
Flying the plane is the easy bit, making the right decisions before you even get onboard is the toughest:-) So start making cmd decisions now, get suited up:-)
Simple really being a commercial pilot is about leadership/professionalism & to do that effectively with the gen public whom might one day be sitting behind you you need to show whom is in authority, a uniform makes people feel as though they are being 'led' by a professional, YOU.

Good luck stay positive & fly girl fly!:)

Wmk2

Ex FSO GRIFFO
6th Sep 2010, 07:28
I'm with 'Uncle Wal' on this one.

Good 'professional' appearance sets the theme for the test.
Make the effort, but don't 'overdo it' - NO bars on the epaulettes:=
IMHO.....

Nice white blouse, pressed slacks, and polished shoes would impress me even before you got into the aeroplane.
And, don't forget to talk to the examiner - ask anything you do not immediately understand - most of all - relax - if you can...

ROTSA RUCK for your test - and please do let's know how it went.....:ok::ok:

AerocatS2A
6th Sep 2010, 07:41
Fully agree. For my CPL flight test I wore nice slacks, polished shoes, and a shirt and possibly a tie (it was a while ago now.) As FSO Griffo says, don't wear stripes on your shoulders or anything just dress a little like it's an interview (staying practical, you've got to fly an aeroplane after all.) First impression count for a lot and if you look like you know what you're doing not only will you get yourself in the right frame of mind but you'll get the checker in the right frame of mind as well.

waren9
6th Sep 2010, 07:43
Agree

The old adage that you show up to an interview in the sort of attire you will wear for the job, I think applies.

Tailored trousers, shirt and tie. Belt to match and polished shoes. Or whatever the girls equivalent is!

Good luck!

blacklabel
6th Sep 2010, 08:15
and don't forget the silver mirror aviators, to show him how you did your flight planning calculations with the latest Iphone app, and to chew your chewing gum with your mouth open

The Green Goblin
6th Sep 2010, 08:37
From memory I just wore a white epaulette shirt (as I did throughout my entire training) blue pants and black boots. Some guys sucked right up and took a paper for the ATO and some even catered with cake/sandwiches etc. I didn't bother with this however.

No Bars or wings, leave that for the aeroclubs :=

I remember one school gave you a bar for GFPT, PPL and CPL so walking out to a 152 some students had 3 bars while they were doing instructor ratings! A bloke I knew wore 2 pairs of wings at the same time, one for gliding and one for his fixed wing stuff, he only had a PPL. :eek: (I hope you read this struggler)

I must admit it's a little bit of a novelty when you get to don the full uniform and head to work for the first time. The novelty wears off real quick and you envy the float guys in crocs and polo shirts while you're sweating on the ramp in full uniform loading a busted arse GA machine full of freight.......

Anyway good luck with the test, don't fall for the tricks and remember to say NO if he asks you to do something against the regs.

girl with a stick
6th Sep 2010, 08:55
Hmmmm, this is where the confusion lies...

A lad, younger than some bottles of whiskey I have in my cabinet, came up to me today, and started chatting. I immediately assumed he was an instructor, because he had one bar. Eventually, it became clear he was a CPL student, and so I asked him about the uniform. Turns out it's a schooliform - white shirt, navy jumper, one bar for CPL (and the lad had opted for a tie, too). Not required, but definitely in vogue here (it IS an aeroclub, a large one).

My previous school called them "****** bars"; my current school thinks they're a "confidence-builder" ...

(oooh, it edited my mastabatory reference!)