PDA

View Full Version : Am i too late/Old to switch sides?

Mast-twist
6th Sep 2010, 03:37
Hi All, Long time listener, first time caller. I am 27 years old and hold a bare PPL (A) and a CPL (H). I have been working in the industry as a Helicopter Pilot for the last couple of years and have approx 600hrs consisting of turbine time, a night rating and my IREX completed. I have been doing some research in regards to having a crack at making it in the RPT sector in fixed wing. I am wondering if I am too old or will my Rotary Wing experience work against me? I realize i will need to upgrade my PPL(A), will a cadetship be an option? I am looking for suggestions or options that I may not have thought of. I am not against going north and hour building as have already experienced that! Thankyou in advance!!!

Howard Hughes
6th Sep 2010, 03:46
Never too old, I'm 46 and thinking about making the jump the other way!:ok:

nitpicker330
6th Sep 2010, 06:56
Your Thread had me worried, I wasn't sure what you meant "switch sides":}

Capt Claret
6th Sep 2010, 07:23
Max-twist. You're only a year older than I was when I started learning to fly 27 years ago but you've already got turbine time, 600 hours, and your IREX.

I usually sit on the left, so, go for it.

http://www.vision.net.au/~apaterson/aviation/717-200g.jpg

Photo courtesy Alex Paterson's web article, B717 - DC9 comparison by Alex Paterson (http://www.vision.net.au/~apaterson/aviation/B717_DC9.htm)

Mr. Hat
6th Sep 2010, 07:40
No have a mate that did it has ten years on you and flying for major now.

One word of advice. You have about 30-35 years to run before you retire. Consider carefully the direction the industry is heading in the fixed wing world.

I give it 5-10 years before jet FO's are being paid the same as check out chicks. Its already happening in the US. Captains will be on 50k. That is just based on what I've seen in my time. There will also come a time when Australia starts to see major hull losses as all the experience moves to other industries or overseas.

If you can handle constantly worsening conditions then you'll be fine.

lilflyboy262
6th Sep 2010, 08:31
Don't do it! The grass is always greener on the otherside!

Come to africa and find a job in the safaris flying B206's or some of the new EC-130s here.

VH-XXX
6th Sep 2010, 11:06
Never too old, I'm 46 and thinking about making the jump the other way!

Cough Cough. Howie, you're so old they are naming buildings after you - too late to swap sides now!

http://members.iinet.net.au/~bc_j400/hh.jpg

Tee Emm
6th Sep 2010, 13:08
There will also come a time when Australia starts to see major hull losses as all the experience moves to other industries or overseas.I doubt that. Australian airline flying is well protected by excellent ACT and in general most airliners are well serviced. The terrain is generally flat with an occasional mountain range. The Australian flat gradient flight deck culture ( we are mates up front) means religious or loss of face and real men don't go around culture so worrying in :mad: countries rarely exists here, thank goodness. Simulator recurrent training is regular. Most pilots in airlines spend 90 percent of their flying watching the autopilot fly and navigate and it does a remarkably accurate job too. At the risk of sounding complacent I am sure that realistically the flying business of Australian airlines is safe as houses - even with low hour cadets in the RH seat.

However - if the captain hits his head on the overhead panel while leaving the cockpit for a visit down the back and knocks himself cold, then with a low hour copilot all on his own up front, this Pprune contributor would become a bit uneasy.. And if in an Asian airline I would call for a parachute:ok: