PDA

View Full Version : Is there a cable that connects Iphone's to your headset?

Niceguysa45
5th Sep 2010, 11:54
Iphones seem to be the choice of most pilots, there must be a cable out there that is capable of connecting to your headset?

PyroTek
5th Sep 2010, 12:46
Bluetooth on my zulu's :8

Depends on what headset you have, for the ones that have an aux connection, usually comes with a little 3.5mm jack cable - that would suffice for an iphone.

tmpffisch
5th Sep 2010, 12:47
Bluetooth on the Zulu's or new Bose, or the Blulink unit. There is no cable available.

Killer Loop
5th Sep 2010, 21:01
As PyroTek said. Use a 3.5mm connector to the aux in port. Blu tooth works but uses a lot of the phones' battery.

Sunfish
5th Sep 2010, 21:35
Be aware that I believe CASA is going to make use of such devices either totally illegal or restricted use in flight.

I've never got around to organising some music for my pax and I....Something appropriate; "The blue Danube Waltz?" Eighteen Twelve finale? Verdi Requieme?

PA39
5th Sep 2010, 21:38
Or would beethovens last movement be more appropriate/....:E

27/09
5th Sep 2010, 21:44
Be aware that I believe CASA is going to make use of such devices either totally illegal or restricted use in flight.

Why? Why? Why? (Needed to make message more than 10 characters long)

VH-XXX
5th Sep 2010, 23:13

Where is the evidence for this?

The more I read the more it looks like the exact opposite is on the cards, including systems allowing passengers to use their mobiles in airliners.

To the original poster, there is a number of units on the market that allow you to do this. For example Flightcell 2Go and others.

Sunfish
6th Sep 2010, 06:11
Evidence? What evidence? You want evidence? You can't handle the evidence!

A little reading of the POH for a glass cockpit Cessna 182 indicates that most of the Garmin glass is there for "alerting only" and it is prohibited to rely on many of the features for actual navigation. That POH also contains FAA rules on when iPods, etc., must be turned off (Takeoff and Landing).

Assuming CASA will decide that this is a lilly livered approach pandering to pilots, I wonder if CASA might decide that these rules don't go far enough.

..So when you visit the CASR 91 project page you see this......

Key proposals

* Strict control of Portable Electronic Devices (PEDs);

* Requirement for the pilot to plan to arrive with a specified minimum amount of fuel;

* Restrictions on the simulation of certain emergencies in Instrument Meteorological Conditions (IMC) or at night;

* Altered requirement for the carriage of Emergency Locator Transmitters (ELTs);

* Requirement for cabin crew members for all flights carrying more than 19 passengers;

* Recurrent training and checking requirements for pilots for all operations of aeroplanes certified in the Transport category with an MTOW above 8640kg;

* Changes to minimum operating heights to allow flight below 500ft.

Am I cynically over reacting? Is my iPhone a crutch to allow me to avoid "real" navigation with pencil, clock, ruler and chart? Real men don't use GPS. My girlfriend gives me "strict" discipline if I plead with her! Does CASA want to get out the hair brush too?

I welcome opinions.

Civil Aviation Safety Authority - CASR Part 91 - General operating and flight rules (http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:PWA::pc=PARTS091)

Ultralights
6th Sep 2010, 06:36
The Zulus come with a 3 mm jack and cable for plugging into the AUX input, fits the iphone.

Niceguysa45
6th Sep 2010, 06:45
Flightcell 2go only makes a cable suitable for normal phone jacks, anyone have a specific link to a product?

Capn Bloggs
6th Sep 2010, 07:06
I hear on the radio this arvo that there is a theory that NSW pedestrians are being killed more often because they are listening to music players instead of paying attention to what's going on around them. Stop, Look, Listen was quoted, with the Listen part now appearing to be missing.

While reading "industry related material" in CTA cruise is fair game, I hope you are not bopping to your ipod when airborne when I'm around. :cool:

waren9
6th Sep 2010, 07:54
So, I cant read the paper either Bloggsy?

Just because something is "industry related" does that mean its any less of a distraction?

What if I listen to a "industry related" podcast while youre around? Is that OK?

Mindless.:yuk:

SgtBundy
6th Sep 2010, 08:38
I was under the impression headsets like the Bose or Lightspeed cut the music input when there is radio traffic?

Ultralights
6th Sep 2010, 08:51
they do, they cut the music whenever there is a signal from your/pax mike, the PTT button is depressed or the com receives a transmission. annoying when your getting into your music, and start singing to yourself, then silence for a few seconds.. :}

PyroTek
6th Sep 2010, 09:17
Yeah the Zulu's have a button you can press to enable or disable the function where it quietens the music during inbound transmissions.

Niceguysa45
6th Sep 2010, 11:45
I was interested in receiving calls rather than listening to music

Howard Hughes
6th Sep 2010, 11:48
* Strict control of Portable Electronic Devices (PEDs);
Is this the same CASA that advises use of such portable electronic devices in a radio failure?:}

Iphones seem to be the choice of most pilots
They do? I must hang out with the wrong crowds...;)

Niceguysa45
6th Sep 2010, 11:54
iPhone AKA flyPhone never heard of the saying?

Howard Hughes
6th Sep 2010, 12:03
Nope.....:E

Capt Fathom
6th Sep 2010, 12:21
Is there a cable that connects Iphone's to your headset?

What possible operational benefit would that provide?

Damien1989
6th Sep 2010, 13:09
What possible operational benefit would that provide?

Not sure about iphones but on my phone if I plug it in rather than use blue-tooth, I can still make calls with on my zulu headset. Saves battery power on both headset & phone. Banning these devices is absolute BS in my opinion. Having just flown a round trip of Australia, being able to make calls for AWIS & in the case of comms failure (which has happened to me) is absolutely priceless. Would never go flying without now. However, I generally don't play music through it unless i am paxing with another pilot.

PyroTek
6th Sep 2010, 15:22
Yes, good point Damien, I recently flew to Hervey Bay. using my phone with my Zulu's was invaluable to get the AWIS details. I also have an iphone app with a database of most, if not all of the AWIS numbers in Australia!

Niceguysa45
7th Sep 2010, 00:11
Also handy when some annoying private number keeps calling, only to your surprise when you finally answer it's CENSAR, have you cancelled your SARTIME???????

BEACH KING
7th Sep 2010, 01:59
The benefits of using a smartphone in aviation.

-Naips access for flight plan/Sartime submission and/or amendment
-Naips weather... updatable in flight
-Bom radar
-Ability to contact and receive info from responsible person WRT
Actual destination weather/strip conditions/facilities/LAME/Refueller/
manually get runwaylights turned on/ etc etc
-emergency backup GPS/Altimeter/Airspeed Ind/VSI and soon AH
-emergency torch
-emergency contact with ATC
-forced landing Sar comms/Gps location
-Sar time cancellation reminder and cancellation
-flight plan creation assistance

IMHO, a responsibly used mobile phone enhances safety of flight far more than any detractions.

The idiot who blasts along listening to music or farking about with his phone and ignoring the radio environment, would probably be reading a magazine or having a snooze if he didn't have a phone.

CanAmdelta1
7th Sep 2010, 03:32
Niceguysa45,

My headset came with a 1/8" 3.5MM cable to put iphone/ipod (music) to the headset. For iphone call useage the headset uses Bluetooth not the cable. Also one can use the headset for listening to music or phoning whether you are plugged into A/C panel or not.

Hope this helps.

Adsie
8th Jan 2012, 07:36
Just a question about the item "Bluelink" adaptor

Is the co-pilot able to hear the music / phone calls that is streamed via bluelink or is it only the PIC?

Thank You

Ads

MilFlyer
9th Jan 2012, 00:20
I think you'll find this is what you are looking for..

Matchbox Pilot Headset Mobile Phone / Music Interface (https://www.flightplanning.com.au/product.php?productid=16148&cat=253&page=1)

Also mutes MP3 or mobile phone during incoming ATC or cockpit communication

:ok:

Capn Bloggs
9th Jan 2012, 00:22
I hope you jokers aren't flying around in controlled airspace yabbering on your phones or listening to your favourite playlist... :cool:

MilFlyer
9th Jan 2012, 00:46
The MatchBox AI-1 listed above actually auto-mutes for incoming radio transmissions :ok:

Charlie Foxtrot India
9th Jan 2012, 01:43
Be careful...a while back some guy set it up wrong and broadcast his entire mobile phone conversation on Jandakot Ground. Hilarious! A lot of it should have been :mad:

morno
9th Jan 2012, 01:50
I don't see the problem Blogg's, if said devices mute when a radio call or other flying related sound (ie. altitude alert, etc.), sounds through the pilots headset. And also that the music is kept to an acceptable level that won't take your main focus off what you're supposed to be doing - flying the aircraft.

morno

MilFlyer
9th Jan 2012, 01:52
Be careful...a while back some guy set it up wrong and broadcast his entire mobile phone conversation on Jandakot Ground. Hilarious! A lot of it should have been http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/censored.gif

Actually the MatchBox AI-1 (https://www.flightplanning.com.au/product.php?productid=16148&cat=253&page=1) has never been sold in / to Australia before.
Pretty simple concept though, if you Push the transmit button whilst you are talking, guess what happen? :E

romeocharlie
9th Jan 2012, 07:01
So the fact that Qantas are about to approve iPads for use in the cockpit, with the EFB apps made by Boeing and Airbus, and that some airlines are already using Panasonic tough books with Boeing opt software which I might add is approved by Casa is not an indication of things to come?

Capn Bloggs
9th Jan 2012, 07:10
So the fact that Qantas are about to approve iPads for use in the cockpit, with the EFB apps made by Boeing and Airbus, and that some airlines are already using Panasonic tough books with Boeing opt software which I might add is approved by Casa is not an indication of things to come?
I don't see itunes or Telstra in the list of approved apps, RC...

Morno, you are joking, I hope.

morno
9th Jan 2012, 07:26
Why?

What do you do on long legs with nothing in between?

Lancair70
9th Jan 2012, 09:44
I dont have iPhone connectivity, but if I did, I doubt Id use it to recieve random calls while flying, IMHO theres more important things to be doing while sitting the LHS. Id use it if I needed to call an AWIS or other flight safety related matter. Certainly dont rely on it.

While recently flying VFR from Ballina to Rainbow Beach and return, I had a few times when I could not update anything on my iPhone or iPad, no signal, at 6000' over Tangalooma, at about 4000' nearer to Rainbow beach and again over the islands southbound at 3500' and lower. So it certainly pays to download maps and anything you might need to use on iPad BEFORE going flying (I did have the appropriate paper versions)
Using Blue tooth connection between iPhone and iPad running OZ Runways certainly chewed the battery on both devices. iPad went from 75% battery to almost flat in about 5hrs of use, iPhone from 90% to flat, but it was used for several calls, on the ground, as well.

ProTech, what is the AWIS app called, Ive looked but not found it ? ? :ugh:

Lasiorhinus
9th Jan 2012, 09:59
Its called "Dial-a-wis"

MakeItHappenCaptain
9th Jan 2012, 10:41
AWIS App?

How about ERSA FAC entries under MET Information Provided?:rolleyes:

Lasiorhinus
9th Jan 2012, 11:52
MakeItHappen, no one is forcing you to use anything that makes your life easier, but that's no reason to stop other people from using tools.

Jack Ranga
9th Jan 2012, 12:22
I think it depends on the music being played doesn't it?

If you are listening to AC/DC and singing along you may get a bit distracted.

If you have classical music on in the background it may just improve your performance.

knox
9th Jan 2012, 21:50
If you want to talk through your headset (make/receive calls) on the iPhone using the cable you have to have a TTY adapter. It's a very small adapter but as with anything apple, you pay through the nose approx $30 - $50.

As for listening to music whilst flying, I'm all for it. I have a dedicated flying playlist with everything from jazz to hard rock. All incoming and out going transmissions auto mute the music and if it was to get too distracting I'd just switch it off, it would take all of 2 seconds to do.

Knox.

Adsie
8th Feb 2012, 08:16
MilFlyer

The Matchbox unit is just what I have been looking for.

I received it a few days ago so I have not tried it in the aircraft yet.

But the sales person who I purchased it off was a C130 pilot and he says they are awesome.

Thanks again for the tip

Capn Bloggs
8th Feb 2012, 08:32
the sales person who I purchased it off was a C130 pilot and he says they are awesome.
Great. Now the trashies are listening to their iphones in flight. :=

MilFlyer
14th Feb 2012, 10:33
What's up Bloggsy, worried someone will miss a 60 min Ops normal call over the GAFA :rolleyes:

It auto mutes for Air Traffic mate, unlike most front seaters (junior Co-pilots / interruptions from the rear) :P

My god! Next you'll provide the shocking info that pilots have been using the ADF to listen to AM radio stations. E.g. Whilst doing night circuits in Macchi's / Hawks / PC-9's at RAAF Pearce.
:E

Agree - great bit of kit. Own power source so it doesn't drain your battery on the iPhone / iPad. Amps built in!

ADSIE: I've been using the Matchbox FC-1 (first user in Aust I'm told!!), works great, love not only the audio but the Altitude alert and tank timer. Altitude alert is great cross country.

Capn Bloggs
14th Feb 2012, 10:47
worried someone will miss a 60 min Ops normal call over the GAFA
Yeh well flying things that can't communicate unless within 20nm of a UHF station need 60 min ops normal calls I suppose...on HF was it? :}

MilFlyer
14th Feb 2012, 11:16
Haven't travelled far Bloggs? VHF/UHF Queen? Lol

What call are you worried you'll miss?
Noting auto mute - you must be fun to fly with - "STFU - ATC might talk..."

:E

I'm guessing you also think SELCAL is for chumps :E

Nose wheel first
14th Feb 2012, 11:38
I'm with you on this one Bloggs. I know the things auto-mute and that's all fine and dandy but ive seen guys zone out completely whilst lost in the loving embrace of some elevator music.

Last week I discovered a pilot I was training was using his iPhone to listen to music whilst we were cruising along at FL180. I wondered why he had a blank look on his face and kept asking me to repeat what I was saying. Needless to say, next time he pulls that stunt both him and the phone will be down the back and neither will be sharing the front row of the aircraft again!

MilFlyer
14th Feb 2012, 11:42
Your trainee wasn't using an automuting Matchbox unit. You should clarify that.

Nose wheel first
14th Feb 2012, 12:38
MilFlyer has decided for some reason that i'm having a dig at the Matchbox automuting unit.... I'm not! Nowhere did I mention the unit, nor did I imply that it was in use by my fellow aviator.

Originally Posted by MilFlyer
You need to clarify in your post that your 'trainee' wasn't using a Matchbox automuting unit (AI-1 or FC-1)

I know exactly who uses those units in Aus. Happy for you to correct me but if you don't correct your statement, you may be liable for legal action. :confused::confused::confused: Please either correct your statement immediately or reply that you disagree with my statement
My bold.

What I was trying to say was that I agree with Bloggs sentiment mentioned on the first page... While reading "industry related material" in CTA cruise is fair game, I hope you are not bopping to your ipod when airborne when I'm around. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/cool.gif How that equates to having a dig at Mil's unit is beyond me.

The fact remains.... a pilot under training was listening to music from his iPhone through his headset and regardless if it mutes, doesn't mute, or fetches your newspaper in the morning, he was distracted when he should have been concentrating.