PDA

View Full Version : Aircrew Medicals

NDW
5th Sep 2010, 08:35
Good Morning one and all,

I just have a few questions that hopefully some of you can help with.

I have had my eye's tested for Aircrew positions in both the Military and Civilian and it came out that I have 6/5 in my left and 6/7-8 in my right eye which is an immediate exclusion from Pilot :ugh:.

However the optician said I am still safe for all other Aircrew positions.

So I was wondering for example WSO & WSOp it states the RAF Eyesight visual acuity sheet that uncorrected it can be up to 6/24 (I'm presuming in both eyes? I stand to be corrected), does that therefore mean that your eyesight acuity go up to a maximum of 6/24 on the snellen chart before you are classed as unfit?

I tried asking the optician this, but he came out with words I have never heard of. :confused:

Thanks all

NDW

airborne_artist
5th Sep 2010, 08:52
I think you'll find the standards for the RAF changed last summer, in your favour.

But rather than faff about, get on the application process. There's so many other things you can change, like your maths skills for the aptitude, your general and Servive knowledge, your presentation skills etc.

NDW
5th Sep 2010, 09:07
A_A,

Thanks for the reply.

I don't suppose you know what the new eyesight requirements are?

Also I have submitted my WSOp application ( around about two weeks ago), but had a reply back stating that the position I applied for was closed and that I would have to wait until April 2011 at a minimum.

However in the mean time as I only currently have AS levels, I am studying as a Private Candidate in Maths and Geography to help pass the time.

Also I have applied with GAPAN to participate in aptitude testing at RAF Cranwell at the end of this year.

All the best

NDW

Tankertrashnav
5th Sep 2010, 11:04
There's so many other things you can change, like your maths skills for the aptitude, your general and Servive knowledge, your presentation skills etc.

And your written English - there's no apostrophe in eyes (not as a simple plural anyway). Some may say it's not important, but if a pedant like me reads your application minor errors could just tip the balance.

Good luck anyway;)

NDW
5th Sep 2010, 11:18
TankertrashNav!!

No my mistake I apologise!!

To be honest my english is normally tip top, sometimes silly punctuation is added when's it not needed!!

I fully appreciate that in a RAF app. spelling is very important and from what I remember I spellchecked nearly 5 times, even had other people proof read.

Thanks

NDW

3 bladed beast
5th Sep 2010, 11:48
Tankertrash! Or perhaps the use of a comma after 'application' in your sentence as well? :8

NDW - you simply need to phone OASC or the careers office for the latest eyesight requirements, which indeed did change last year.

The sad reality of things as they stand however, is that the RAF simply doesn't need any pilots at the moment and if there is any worry or doubt about your medical, you'll be rejected.

NDW
5th Sep 2010, 12:49
Thanks for all the reponses.

I shall phone OASC next week regarding the eyesight update.

Regarding the spelling apologies again!!

All the best

NDW

BEagle
5th Sep 2010, 13:01
NDW, do remember that the Guild's aptitude testing is concerned with different objectives as compared to the full OASC testing process for prospective military aircrew.

Those who are not aware of this may care to see Aptitude Tests - GAPAN (http://www.gapan.org/career-matters/careers-information/aptitude-tests/) for further details.

Tankertrashnav
5th Sep 2010, 15:17
3 bladed beast and Kreuger Flap - guilty on both counts - mea maxima culpa!

I still reckon it's worth being very careful when submitting a written application for any job. With so many candidates for each vacancy, poor written English will often mean your application will not survive the initial sifting process.

NDW, the trouble with spellcheckers is they will not pick up faults such as this, as eye's as a possessive is correct. Proof reading is a great idea as long as you don't entrust the job to an old duffer ;)