PDA

View Full Version : Liat... why all the lost luggage?

JayGarrettMD
4th Sep 2010, 10:58
Hey guys,
I've had my luggage GUARANTEED to be delayed by Liat Airlines in the southeast Caribbean probably a dozen times on my trips from Grenada to Barbados or elsewhere. I've told the one lady at the Grenada terminal to please make sure my bag makes it to Barbados, and of COURSE it didn't make it.

Now here's the thing. On a trip home to Alabama I took Liat from Grenada to Barbados... just like clockwork (well not at all like clockwork) my luggage didn't arrive in Barbados and my American Airlines flight left with me in it and no luggage. I arrived on my AA flight to Miami, then to Atlanta GA, and then drove 2 hours to Alabama. 11 days later my bag arrived at my doorstep. Everyone I know from Grenada has had similar experiences with Liat.

Question: Why is it that Liat absolutely NEVER puts everyone's bags on their planes? Is it any financial gain for them to make half of every flight angry at their service?

Surely an airline, as a business, is an institution that doesn't want its name to be trashed on a daily basis.... there must be some sense as to why I've not received my bags on time after over 10 times of flying with them.

Consider this: 4 day vacation to Barbados... bags don't arrive... by the time they arrive in Barbados I'm back in Grenada... Is there any use checking bags on such a weird airline?

Honestly I'd appreciate if anyone could shed ANY light on this situation, as it's been quite a question mark in my life for years now.

Thank you kindly,
Jay

Chuchinchow
5th Sep 2010, 09:59
It would appear that the original poster, notwithstanding his oh-so proudly displayed degree, may suffer from learning difficulties.

After allegedly flying "probably a dozen times with LIAT" and after telling is that his bags had been mislaid on every occasion, the good doctor should have realised that LIAT's baggage handling service is no good and that he ought to find another carrier.

Or does the OP have some sort of hidden agenda or other animus against LIAT?

Hotel Tango
5th Sep 2010, 11:55
I'm not familiar with that part of the world chuchinchow, but I wouldn't expect the small island of Granada to have an abundance of services and choice of carriers to Barbados. LIAT is the predominent inter island carrier (and may have codeshare agreements with US carriers). Perhaps Jay doesn't have much choice. I may be wrong of course.

Out Of Trim
5th Sep 2010, 12:43
I would hazard a guess that, quite often there is more baggage checked-in than can be accommodated on the actual aircraft. Due size of the aircraft holds or due weight limitations.

This from their web site!

Due to the cargo hold capacity limitations of the Dash 8 aircraft currently operated by LIAT, it is necessary that LIAT restricts the amount of baggage carried by its passengers. This will help us offer a more consistent and reliable baggage delivery service to passengers adhering to the baggage limitations.

Baggage Policy

With effect from 01 December, 2008 the free baggage allowance for all LIAT services will be one piece at a maximum of 50 lbs (23 kgs.) per adult or child passenger. The maximum overall size per piece will be 62 inches (157 cms).
In addition passengers will be allowed one piece of cabin baggage at a maximum weight of 15 lbs.(7 kgs.) and maximum overall dimensions of 21 inches x 14 inches x 8 inches. These dimensions include wheels, all pockets and handles.
http://www.liatairline.com/UserFiles/BaggageinfoforDash8(1).gifChecked -in baggage should not include items listed in note 3 and LIAT accepts no liability for such items.

EXCESS BAGGAGE - CONDITIONS

Extra pieces of baggage (that is pieces in excess of the above allowance) will be subject to excess baggage charges and will only be accepted on a space available (standby) basis. Perishable items will not be accepted as standby baggage.

ALL EXCESS BAGS WILL BE TAGGED AS STANDBY
Baggage taken on a standby basis will be accepted with the understanding that LIAT is not liable for delays in the transportation of the baggage to its destination. Also LIAT will not accept responsibility for the customs clearance and/or the ground transportation cost incurred by passengers for the collection of stand by baggage.

:)

Chuchinchow
5th Sep 2010, 15:22
Given that LIAT's baggage policy has been promulgated since December 2008, and given that the OP has flown "probably a dozen times with LIAT", I reiterate that he is making a rod for his own back, and that his complaint is baseless.

Once, twice - on three occasions perhaps - but to continue to make the same mistake "probably a dozen times" does seem rather stupid, foolish and even feckless.

Hotel Tango
5th Sep 2010, 15:38
So, if there's no other choice of carrier what do you suggest he does? Try and be constructive in your criticism.

Chuchinchow
6th Sep 2010, 00:03
Simple: here are a few easy alternatives:

Flight Times, Flight Schedules and Airline Routes - Amadeus.net (http://www.amadeus.net/plnext/meb/TimeTable.action?SITE=BCEUBCEU&LANGUAGE=GB)

intortola
6th Sep 2010, 00:23
Use LIAT regularly and it happens often, if my bags arrive with me am always suprised!
One of the reasons we know LIAT around here as "luggage in another terminal" or "leave island any time"!!
They have actually improved somewhat over the years though.

BRUpax
6th Sep 2010, 08:16
Simple: here are a few easy alternatives:

Flight Times, Flight Schedules and Airline Routes - Amadeus.net

Hmm, Did you try this yourself Chuchinchow? Interestingly enough I did and found that apart from one British Airways flight in the evening (which wouldn't be convenient for onward connections to the USA) the only operator on the Grenada-Bridgetown route is LIAT. Perhaps Hotel Tango is right, there isn't much of a choice and it's pretty much LIAT or swim.