PDA

View Full Version : Flying for FREE!

OnTheHorizon
2nd Sep 2010, 19:51
Guys n Gals,

To those out there that have finished their flying training; CPL, ME/IR and are broke and jobless still... Would you work for a charter company flying their multi engine aircraft for free with no future of being paid because you don't have sufficient hours for logging charter flight?
I've basically been offered this but am undecided to go get a job (non aviation) 5 days a week or go be a dogs body but get multi piston time for free albeit not huge amount of hours per month of which could be only available weekdays when I could be earning.
Curious to your thoughts please...

student88
2nd Sep 2010, 22:43
I'd say thanks but no thanks and look for an alternative job until the market picks up. I wouldn't go and work in Sainsbury's for free..

Aerouk
3rd Sep 2010, 00:28
We aren't slaves so I would be telling them to get stuffed.

MartinCh
3rd Sep 2010, 02:05
Would you be flying empty legs/positioning, since you're not legal to be PIC on single pilot twin charter?

Plus as you say, company's spare hand (aka :mad:) on top for the pleasure. If it was non-commercial flying within club, sure no payment another story.

You'd be nuts to take it and kill chance for reasonable (and paid) FT job.

Aitch812
3rd Sep 2010, 04:28
I don't think there's any need for the slagging. With the economy the way it is, and from what I've seen on here, the limited job prospects he's obviously looking at it as an hours building scheme. Thing is though, On The Horizon, if you binned that idea and got a job you might find you'd be able to save enough money to build more hours than the opportunity you're currently being offered. And you'd still have your pride intact.

punk666
3rd Sep 2010, 05:29
Why not consider both? Yes flying for free is a piss take but look on the other side of the coin, you will be flying and you will gain experience and you never know something might open up from it I.e networking.

Get a paying job and at weekends work for these guys, I personally would of tried this option first before deciding to pick which job would be better.

Right now you have to be a hustler to get a job, play the game!

The song 'Everyday I'm hustling' - Rick Ross comes to mind :ok:

MagicTiger
3rd Sep 2010, 05:37
Why not?

Considering the multi engine rental rate to keep current, I would say if it was not to much work, take advantage of the free hours, if you dont want them somebody else will take them, and get their log book filled up for free too. Depends of course of how much time it will take of your week.

Whirlygig
3rd Sep 2010, 06:34
Why not? Because every pilot who works for free is worsening the job market fot everyone including themselves.

If you're qualified to fly the aircraft, then you should be paid. If you're not, then what sort of operation are they running?

Working for free (apart from busting minimum wage legislation) means you would have no employment contract, no employment rights, and would generally get treated like a doormat.

At what point would this charter company think, "Let's pay this guy a wage"? They won't .... they will continue to use you until you move on and then they will use someone else. The trouble is that people do not value what they get for free and you would not be a valued member of staff; you (along with everyone else who does the same thing) will be treated as expendable.

On the whole, you would lose the respect of other working pilots who are managing to earn a small wage. These are the networking contacts you need but you need them onside. By working for free, businesses will come to expect it and the more pilots who work for free will encourage other businesses to cut wages.

Cheers

Whirls

toolowtoofast
3rd Sep 2010, 06:45
I agree and disagree Whirls. I don't fly for free, and I'm a firm believer that if the CP can't afford (or just doesn't want) to pay their pilots, then what else are they skimping on.

History would suggest though that some of the best pilots out there have at least done some gratis flying during their training period

Firestorm
3rd Sep 2010, 06:47
If you decide to take up this job check very carefully that you are covered by the company's employees liability insurance. You don't want to be doing something for nothing only to get injured and end up financially stuffed. It might be worth getting abit of advice from BALPA or IPA which ever one you are a member of (you are a member of one or the other I hope).

This is really tough: I would ask that there is some quid pro quo. If the boss man isn't going to pay you I would try to encourage him to offer something else in lieu such as expenses or a promise of a minimum amount of flying, or a review of the salary status after a defined number of weeks. If he's not willing to match your commitment I would shop him for breaking minimum wage, and walk away.

Dane-Ger
3rd Sep 2010, 07:03
I don't know if you could call it flying for free as such, if I understand the OP correctly , he/she is flying as an "extra" pilot in a single pilot twin, therefore is not stealing anyone's job as there is no job to steal.

If he/she is, however, being allowed to fly the dead legs and log valuable twin time, then in todays climate it is not a bad idea.

On top of that, the extra practice at radio work, flight planning and general commercial ops is invaluable, plus more importantly, they are in the right environment to meet people and network.

It would certainly give a more interesting and relevant answer to the "how have you been keeping current" question at an interview.

regards
D-G

Finals19
3rd Sep 2010, 07:06
Agreed with all on here.

I did this - hindsight is a great thing and now I can see valid reasons as to why I shouldn't have. Granted it was a few years ago, but it many respects it was a very bad decision and I was young and pretty dumb.

The salient point is that if the operator is asking / offering you "free" hours (i.e. not wanting to pay you a wage) then what else are they doing on the cheap? Just be very sure what you are getting in to. There are some great operators out there (although they would probably pay you) and there are unfortunately some that are rotten to the core.

Due to this awful recession, I do some part time flying when I can - very little pay but my expenses are covered at least. Maybe you could at least ask for that?

OnTheHorizon
3rd Sep 2010, 08:14
hi all,

thanks for the replies. nice to see that there are people out there that do care about others especially through tough times like this.

the company will convert me on their twin meaning any positioning flights (very little really) and dead legs (when they come up) i can log p1 and keep current. they do operate another company where most flights will be logging p1 but i'd say approx 10hrs a month, maybe lucky if i get more than that.

i feel like im in a catch 22 situation because if i go work in their office weekdays (for free) learning the ropes, making the tea, a bit of ops, flight planning etc, all good stuff to learn...then i can't go and get a paid job because i might miss out on the chance of a p1 flight or even sitting and learning in the right-hand seat on a charter gaining experience (which has been checked and i'm allowed to do as have a fcl).

they appear to be under the impression if i didn't do it, someone else would come along and "work for free" (as if i don't matter) so it's either "work for free or we'll have tons of other people that will do it"... i have been offered expenses in the past but it never materialised.

i have to admit, the chance to be part of a small organisation is great but having forked out several 10's of thousands of pounds and having not worked now since, my savings will not last forever.

in some aspects, the thought of flying with them sounds better than airline sectors but then again...i can't last on nothing.

as for getting a certain amount of hours per month 'guaranteed', that won't happen as they can't say how many charters they'll get per week/month or how many times the twin will need to be positioned.

it's in some way nice to know from the replied that most of you wouldn't allow yourself to be used like this...

Whirlygig
3rd Sep 2010, 09:15
i have been offered expenses in the past but it never materialised.Alarm bells!!!!!! :ooh:

Cheers

Whirls

bingofuel
3rd Sep 2010, 09:28
If you are being offered the chance to fly in the RHS on single pilot ops and get to fly the empty non commercial sectors, or positioning flights, (assuming they really are non commercial sectors) then go for it, but if you are expected to work in the office 5 days a week whilst waiting for a flight you should be paid for the work you do in the office.

If they will not pay you for office work they are taking the ****

Also be very careful that the legs you fly really are non revenue positioning flights.unless you are correctly opc, fire and smoke, first aid trained etc

Genghis the Engineer
3rd Sep 2010, 09:40
Another few thoughts:

- If you are working for them, they are legally bound to pay national minimum wage at-least.

- If you aren't working for them, nobody: you or they, are protected if anything goes wrong.

I think you'd be better off haggling a badly paid fixed term employment contract, with a review to a decent wage, or a polite goodbye (but they got somebody to fly their aeroplanes cheaply, and you got the hours, experience and a reference) at the end of, say, 6 months.

G

MIKECR
3rd Sep 2010, 10:34
Genghis makes a couple of very good points. Before operating any aircraft you need to make sure you are adequately covered by insurance etc. You need to clarify exactly what your status is with this operator. If you are an employee of the company then im sure you wont have too many issues. If your not directly employed then what is your position....ie contractor...self employed?? How does that fit in terms of the AOC and the certificate of insurance as far as Pilots operating the aircraft? I have a similar situation when instructing at my local flying club. I am not employed directly by the training provider, but i am providing proffessional services(which im paid for) when carrying out any instruction. I am technically self employed/freelance in that respect but thankfuly I dont have to pay for my own liability insurance as the club aircraft are covered for use by non member instructor's and examiners.

Make sure you dot the I's and cross the T's, as you've worked hard for your licence and your ratings.....you dont want to end up in th poo!!

AerocatS2A
3rd Sep 2010, 13:16
I don't know if you could call it flying for free as such, if I understand the OP correctly , he/she is flying as an "extra" pilot in a single pilot twin, therefore is not stealing anyone's job as there is no job to steal.
A company doesn't fly a second pilot in a single pilot aircraft out of the goodness of their heart. Having a second pilot means less payload therefore if they have a second pilot there is a requirement for it somewhere, probably in a contract they have with a customer. A second pilot should be paid, as they are filling a necessary position in the company.

Luke SkyToddler
3rd Sep 2010, 15:50
It's pretty hard to turn down "free" flying of any sort let alone multi time, when you're a 200 hour unemployed hour builder. And picking up empty sectors and positioning flights in an IFR twin is awesome experience. Even 50 or 100 hours of that stuff will really make your CV stand out at certain regionals who still value that kind of old-skool hour building.

However, small GA piston-twin charter operations the world over, are renowned for taking the piss out of their so called "employees" because they know fine well we're all desperate for the hours, we will turn a blind eye to a lot of stuff that maybe we shouldn't, and we will bail out at the drop of a hat / sniff of a real job and another muggins will come get the "free" flying.

You should really be 100% clear in your mind whether any laws are being broken, either employment laws or air-transport laws, if they are then it's probably not a smart move to get involved in it.

BigGrecian
4th Sep 2010, 22:14
Isn't it illegal as well?

They have to pay you at least minimum wage if your performing a service which contributes to them being able to charge for their/your services.

Whirlygig
4th Sep 2010, 23:19
No, it's not illegal per se ... the operator will insist that the pilot is self-employed and that the fee for his or her services is ...er... nowt. Minimum wage legislation does not apply to the self-employed/freelance.

Cheers

Whirls

flyawaybird
5th Sep 2010, 16:13
I have never heard of "flying for free", before. In such a risky job not even a token to say thanks! Tht's touch if you ask me. Charter companies makes a lot of money where there is business. Surely they can afford to pay something in appreciation.:(

wigwag
6th Sep 2010, 05:12
But Onthehorizon

What is the point ? Gaining multi engine time gets you now, nowhere. Okay so your total time goes up, sure, but you still need that all important type rating AND hours on type. So all the time your not earning any money, so where do you get the money from to live and buy the next stage in the game??

So you bust yourself working 2 years maybe 3, get 700-1000 hours if your lucky, all for free and not earning money. Back to the job market, and then you meet people working for free still earning no money, on the a320 or 737 for 2 - 3 years, with the same excuse of needing the hours because they cant find work without type rating and time on type. Now I read, and have met captains flying for free to get that all important PIC time on type.

Its my belief that we should be paid. But, those days are pretty much gone and companies are still trying it on expecting free pilots and sadly they are getting it.

So, not good and dont agree, but, working for free is better than paying for time on type. But to be honest I would never waste your life away, just work in an ordinary job, save the money and cut to the chase and goto the 320 or 737 rating then work for free to get experience on type and increase your time.

Truth is no one cares about hours, only type rated and time on type.

ww

punk666
6th Sep 2010, 06:43
I have a feeling the OP will not be mentioned on the companies books as an employee, meaning there is no trace of him which means its not illegal to not pay him.

If he has signed a contract of some kind then yes it will be illegal not to pay him a minimal wage.

I would be careful on that!! I would personally tell the company I would work for them at least 2 days a week and the rest I will work in another profession because they are not paying me, and if they want me to work more than that then they will have to start talking money.