PDA

View Full Version : PPL-CPL Typical Training time required?

hsuman
2nd Sep 2010, 08:08
Hi,

Just wanted some peoples opinon on flight training time required.

Currently I fly out of a flight school on a weekend part-time basis, while working a 9-5pm, 5 days a week job. I've been trying to weigh up whether or not to go full time.

I've passed my GFPT and now about to start on NAVs and working towards PPL.

Right now I'm sitting on 60 hours, doing the 150h course. Also I have to sit all 7 CPL theory exams too.

My question is what is the realistic time from PPL to CPL ME-CIR? Is it possible to do in Sydney weather and finish up to CPL ME-CIR in 6 months time full time? Can it be done shorter?

I know it has a lot to do with one's personal abilities, but what is the norm?

What are some factors that contribute to time that I may be missing?

tmpffisch
2nd Sep 2010, 08:29
Absolutely possible. I flew a few times a week, and got my CPL and MECIR 5 months after my PPL.

You can get all the flying components for a CPL done within a week or two full-time (took me 5 flights including pre-test), and give it a 3-4 weeks full-time to get a MECIR. Your main worry will be getting all the theory exams completed quickly enough, and plane/instructor availability.

Skydiveandy
2nd Sep 2010, 10:32
I recently had 2 students that completed, one finished his CPL in 5 months from scratch and the other CPL & MECIR in 7 months from scratch..

Both of these students were highly motivated, studied nearly every night, at school 5-6 days every week.

Both of them were young and used to studying,

Having said all of this i have other full time students that have taken 12 months or more.

At 38 when i did my CPL subjects i personally struggled to get through the theory, it had been over 20 years since i had to open a book to study.

It will totally depend on how much you apply yourself, and how much your instructor is willing to help..

Good luck, i am sure if you apply yourself youll do it.