PDA

View Full Version : RAF Contribution to Afghanistan branded 'Pathetic'

AR1
31st Aug 2010, 20:37
On BBC Turnip Bank Holiday Monday, about 2Hrs28 into the program, by a British Forces Foundation director. Mark Cann,, former Queens Royal Lancers.
Here's the link - Enjoy!

BBC iPlayer - Mark O'Donnell: 30/08/2010 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p009kj2n/Mark_ODonnell_30_08_2010/)

Jumping_Jack
31st Aug 2010, 20:51
Got bored....not at 2:38. Gave up.

AR1
31st Aug 2010, 20:52
Two, Two Eight..

Jumping_Jack
31st Aug 2010, 20:56
Oh yeah...:O

StopStart
31st Aug 2010, 21:25
He makes some valid comments about the serviceability issues that the RAF has suffered with the Airbridge and the knock on effect that has. Unfortunately, he was being interviewed in his capacity as the Chief Executive of a registered charity that

exists to boost the morale of British servicemen and women - principally on operations but all over the world - primarily through top quality entertainment with big name stars. The shows, and the Charity's other projects, convey the gratitude of the British public for the work of the Armed Forces and the sacrifices they make.

Pretty sure it's not a platform for him to bump his gums about inter-service agendas he may have. If his charity exists to "boost morale of British servicemen and women" then what is he doing announcing that, notwithstanding everyone in the RAF being splendid chaps, their output and performance on ops is, er, ****e? Doesn't bother me frankly but what about some keen young type listening to his local radio station and hearing a Forces charity chap announce that actually, the job he's doing is crap and that he's an embarrassment and hindrance to the rest of the UK military?

He's entitled to his opinions but I'd suggest that there are some he would be advised to keep to the Long Bar of the In and Out instead of being aired on BBC radio in his capacity as a charity Chief Exec.

0/10

viz
31st Aug 2010, 22:29
RAF Contribution to Afghanistan..??

AR1 - From what I heard, he called the Airbridge process 'pathetic'.

Think your headline grabbing title is wrong - the RAF contribution to Afghanistan is much more than the Airbridge.

minigundiplomat
31st Aug 2010, 22:33
Who gives a toss what BBC Radio Wiltshire fill their daytime slots with.

glad rag
31st Aug 2010, 23:47
This is just wrong on so many levels, Mark Cann should hang his head in shame.

FATTER GATOR
1st Sep 2010, 06:25
The airbridge..fixed, working and getting everybody in and out. Tired kit? Yes but without it the good work gets much harder.

Imagine getting up in the morning, saying goodbye to your wife and children, flying into a war zone, putting on your body armour and landing in a threat environment. Get some sleep and hope you don't get rocketed. Fly home and say hi to your wife and kids again. Week in and week out for years.

Now lets talk about the aeromedical evacuation guys:ok:..
The RAF Regiment and RAF Police, hard work to keep us all safe:ok:
The ISTAR guys ('nuff said been there for ages):ok:
The Harrier and Tornado force:ok:
The Joint Helicopter Force, all services, with well-earned DFC's:ok:
Air Traffickers, Medics, Loggies, Engineers, rat-catchers and on and on:ok:.

Without all this, more people will pay with their lives and limbs.

Take pride. The RAF..Doing so much, for so many, with so little.

Hats off lads. Hats off:D

Blighter Pilot
1st Sep 2010, 06:56
And the in-theatre C130 det that has been there since late 2001......:ok:

Wyler
1st Sep 2010, 07:11
Crowbar as was and now all the ABM boys and girls embedded with the Americans. :ok::D:D:D:D

bingofuel
1st Sep 2010, 07:32
From what I heard, he called the Airbridge process 'pathetic'.

But when pushed to explain his comment he was unable or unwilling to back it up.
If I was to make such a comment I would be sure I could evidence it!!

Al R
1st Sep 2010, 10:17
Stop Start,

Agreed.

Perhaps the people who donated to the charity can ask Cann why £92,541 was written off because the charity used the Stanford International Bank Limited, or why (over the course of the past 2 reporting periods)..

"There was one employee whose remuneration fell between £60,001 and £70,000 in the year."

"There was one employee whose remuneration fell between £80,001 and £90,000 in the year."

.. despite his charity organising fewer and fewer concerts.

Its a hard life being paid more to do less, exercise crap judgement and talk out of your ar:mad:e, obviously.

500days2do
1st Sep 2010, 11:02
It is so good to see the product of a good school and Sandhurst peaking so early. They normally wait til they have 3 stars+ and have retired before they make a name for themselves. I'm sure the interest in his charity will get him the nudge he needs....

I'm looking forward to the denial..."I was misquoted/tricked/put under pressure"

Pathetic boy...

5d2d

glad rag
1st Sep 2010, 11:08
Nice one AL R, nice one.

Jabba_TG12
1st Sep 2010, 11:56
Get in, Al R. :ok:

Doesnt surprise me though, the BBC will stick the knife in at every possible opportunity. Smarmy, over-educated, self-aggrandizing, lefty b(*&*(&ds.

Sack the lot of 'em, I say. :}

L J R
1st Sep 2010, 12:04
...and the Reaper guys who have fought DAILY for 3 years.....(which BTW is 2 years longer than anyone who has a 12 month tour...).

AR1
1st Sep 2010, 12:14
To be fair to that particular branch of the BBC they are looking after Lyenham fairly well at the moment in terms of coverage, and actually sent one of their reporters in country via the Hercules fleet. The guy was hardly pushed for his comments until the presenter heard a couple of words that were controversial, Leading on from Canns position as a founder member of the think tank 'First Defence' - Presumably no relation to now defunct insurers 'First Direct'!

Wound me up though, and I was only raking up the grass cuttings.

Chugalug2
1st Sep 2010, 13:25
Jabba:
Doesnt surprise me though, the BBC will stick the knife in at every possible opportunity. Smarmy, over-educated, self-aggrandizing, lefty b(*&*(&ds.

Sack the lot of 'em, I say.
Well measured and thoughtful post, Sir! Which more or less translates as I agree with your sentiments entirely. Take AR1's point re local variations, but BBC Central Command is beyond the pale...
Hi Al, good post!

Shytehawk
1st Sep 2010, 13:27
The problem with the cavalry regiments is that their officers are selected more on the basis of, so called, breeding and the ability to pay their mess bills than for their intelligence. It has always been thus. Look what a good job they did in the Crimea!

Al R
1st Sep 2010, 13:51
Hi Chuggers - hope you're well. :ok:

tucumseh
1st Sep 2010, 14:18
RAF Contribution to Afghanistan branded 'Pathetic'

Should this not read

"Government contribution to the RAF (RN and Army) branded Pathetic"

Lafyar Cokov
1st Sep 2010, 14:40
Mark is a Director of CU2 Ltd (his own successful ‘Events, Consultancy and PR’ company)

I can think of another group he could belong to beginning with CU......

Jumping_Jack
1st Sep 2010, 17:23
Love it :D

minigundiplomat
1st Sep 2010, 22:49
Next Tuesday?

NURSE
1st Sep 2010, 23:19
someone obviously hasn't been watching the news or has little understanding of it.
The RAF has put in a great effort given the constraints its had to operate in