PDA

View Full Version : Crash 31 Aug 2010 - Kamiah US

VeeAny
31st Aug 2010, 18:44
Lewiston Tribune Online (http://www.lmtribune.com/breaking-news/1441/)

I had this emailed to me and in addition to the loss of life the disturbing part is

Jim Emmert of Kamiah said he heard a loud noise over his house that sounded like a rock crusher. He went out on his deck to check it out and saw the helicopter flying about 1,000 feet off the ground in an easterly direction.

The helicopter hovered in midair for a moment, then began to slide backwards and flipped over on its top. The pilot, Emmert said, managed to upright the craft, but then it began dropping forward.
Seems like something caused a severe loss of control, and if true this one we should perhaps all keep an eye on for a published cause in due course.

May they RIP.

pitot212
31st Aug 2010, 20:07
What type was the helicopter?

VeeAny
31st Aug 2010, 21:09
I cannot ID from the photos I have seen, although if I had to take an educated guess it would be a 300 but the photos on the news sites are not good enough to see any details.

The news reports include eyewitness accounts from different people of parts coming off while it was still in th air.

If it is a 300 I hope that this is not another wholly preventable cluster incident !

It looks as though this is the 2nd incident involving an Idaho Fish and Game helicopter this year.

Gordy
31st Aug 2010, 22:07
Hiller 12E Soloy.

Three now dead...RIP.

Helicopter crash kills 2 outside Kamiah (http://www.krem.com/news/Helicopter-crash-kills-2-outside-Kamiah-101895368.html)

KAMIAH, ID. -- An Idaho Fish and Game helicopter crashed in Kamiah Tuesday, killing all three people on board.

Officials say the helicopter was carrying two Fish and Game biologists and pilot. The pilot and one of the biologists died on scene, and the other biologist was transported with injuries to the hospital in Orofino and later died.

Idaho Fish and Game have identified the biologists as Larry Barret, 47, and Danielle Schiff, 34. Barret has worked for Fish and Game for 25 years, and Schiff was a 13-year employee.

Both Schiff and Barret work out of the Lewiston Fish and Game office.

The pilot has not been identified. The helicopter was a Hiller 12 E Soloy flown by Leading Edge Aviation out of Clarkston, Washington.

The crash happened around 9:30 a.m. near Forest Service building in Kamiah, after the helicopter experienced some sort of malfunction.

Witness Robert Millage took pictures as emergency response tended to the scene, and images show the helicopter may have crashed into a recreational vehicle.

Millage told KREM 2 News it appeared the helicopter was having trouble and then pieces of the aircraft began to break away and fall to the ground.

Millage noted the pilot was able to avoid hitting homes and a school within blocks of the crash scene.

Fish and Game officials say the biologists were taking counts of salmon spawning nests on the Selway River

According to Millage, a number of people responded to the scene within minutes, including firefighters, police, local medial professionals and bystanders.

A KREM 2 News crew is headed to the crash scene. More updates will be posted on KREM.com throughout the day as information becomes available.

Hans K.
17th Sep 2010, 19:45
I posted an obituary over on the Guam tuna boat pilot thread . The pilot was Perry Krinitt 43 , I'm guessing he had about 6- 7 K hours in turbine helicopters .

We worked for the same company in the 90s in Guam and kept in touch a few times a year . I would get a call from Hawaii - Texas- Montana - Northern California . He would be working seismic , scenic rides , logging with the Kmax . He held both A&P / Commercial rotor-craft ratings .

43 is very young to end a life , Google the name for more details .
I think about him everyday ,, RIP man .