PDA

View Full Version : qualifications

newguy24
30th Aug 2010, 10:49
Hi can anyone help me, I am unsure of the facts as I here mixed stories.

I have justs started flying with the view of completeing my atpl within 2 to 3 years. I completely messed up school as my school told us either join the army or go to uni. Army for the boys uni for the girls. mmmmmm Not very good teachers or maybe just bad students not sure which. Anyway I decided to go and earn money rather than study.

I find myself in the position where I can afford to fly and want to achieve my life goal of becoming an airline pilot .

People tell me that your school or uni results will not stop me becoming an airline pilot as I can pay for my training and then pay a bond with a airline company to pay my training where I can then get employment as a pilot .

on the other hand,........

I hear people saying you must do well at school, you must have a degree you must have 3000 flying hours in a jet .

So before I start getting my hopes up and start spending serious cash I just want to know the facts ,

can anyone help

IRRenewal
31st Aug 2010, 06:35
There are absolutely no academic entry requirements to become an airline pilot. No GCSEs, no A-Levels, no nothing. Some schools might insist on such qualifications, in that case just go to one that doesn't.

Having said that, you will probably find the whole process of getting your licence pretty tough if you don't have some basic maths and physics knowledge.

Uncle Wiggily
31st Aug 2010, 10:16
The people who tell you that you need outstanding school marks are usually the older, a bit more out of touch with the current situation, type of people. No offence, but they are probably telling you that you need perfect vision as well.

The truth is that you can teach a monkey to fly (wait...didn't the Russians do that in the 1960's?). The harder part and less fun is the ATPL theory. Maybe it's not hard, but it is time consuming and aggravating at certain points of time.

So, basically you need a really wealthy father or be independently wealthy (or a bit mad, if you try and get a bank loan).

I know others will rip my post apart, but you need to get the facts straight from people who have done this thing...RECENTLY. Don't talk to the flight school recruiters...TALK to the students and get the real deal. Remember that the flight school recruiters are paid on a commission for every person they can get to sell their soul and mortgage their future, children's future, and children's children future.

newguy24
31st Aug 2010, 14:20
Hi

Thanks for your reply, It really helps to get some unbias advice.

I have done some tough exams such as financial adviser and accountancy since school, so I think I may be ok with the study part, Whats your view?

Funding............. :( I know its lots of cash but I am in a good position where I can self fund it through my business.

My big fear is spending all the time and money doing it without any jobs. I expect to work very hard and have to fight. Just very worried about a big fat 0 result just money down the toilet .

Any thoughts on This.

Martin

newguy24
31st Aug 2010, 14:23
hi thanks for the reply,

I am just at the early stages of this , I think I may be ok with the maths etc as I have done my finance exams and accountancy. I am just worried about spending the cash and not getting a job. I do expect to work hard ...........very hard but just worried about pulling a blank.

Thanks for any advice you can give