PDA

View Full Version : Doncaster Robin Hood

The Swinging Monkey
30th Aug 2010, 08:46
I recently had the extremely unpleasant experience of flying from Doncaster airport. No problems with the airline at all however, but the airport and the satff were absolutely dreadful.

I saw a German woman in front of me sent to the back of the queue to purchase a resealable clear bag, because the one she had used was 'too big' (it looked perfectly OK to me) When she asked why it was too big, she was told that 'those are the rules' and unless she purchased a ew one, her stuff would be destroyed. It was a disgraceful way to treat anyone, but especially someone from another country visiting over here.

I was then treated similarly and told that, whilst my clear plastic bag was of the correct size, it 'didn't conform to Dept of Transport resealable bags standard' and I too was sent back outside of the check in to go and purchase a proper bag. I know it's just another 50p, but its just the unnecessary 'nause' of it all.

When I explained that the very same bag had been OK at Heathrow, Manchester, Stanstead numerous times already this year and pretty much everywhere else in the UK, I was told by the fun police at Doncaster 'well it isn't OK here Sir, you'll have to go back and buy one of ours' When I then suggested that it would make sence to put the 'buy a bag here' machine in the area where people had their bags rejected, you would have thought I had sked them for the world frankly, and my suggestion was met with looks of anger and contempt.

Things wern't much better once you I passed through passport control/customs. The toilets were shocking. No soap, and no driers working. When I pointed it out to a member of staff, I was informed that they hadn't been working for a few weeks now!

All of the staff (even the 2 old ladies at the coffee bar) were as miserable and as unhelpful as they possibly could have been, and after I departed, I decided never to use Doncaster ever again. It is longer and more costly, but I shall drive to another airport rarther than deal with the staff at Doncaster.

I have a message for the management of Doncaster.....

If you want your airport to thrive, firstly you must employ people who want to work there. You must have people who want to do their job, especially when it comes to dealing with the public and the INTERNATIONAL public at that!
Get rid of the wasters who wander around your airport looking bored, miserable and generally pi**ed off with life, and for goodness sake get things fixed and put right.
Yesterday when I returned back, I spent ten minutes or so trying to pay for the car park only to be told that the ticket machine was out of action. (why not put a label on it I wonder)

Come on Doncaster. You are not doing yourselves any good at all. If you want expansion and if you want the public to use you, get things sorted out and put right. I for one will not be using Robin Hood again

TSM

geordiejet
30th Aug 2010, 09:42
I flew DSA-MSA a few months ago and was looking forward a stress free small and friendly experience after spending ages driving to the airport. Unfortunately my experience was much the same as yours. I only flew from there as I got cheap staff travel flights and even with a 2.5 hour drive we would save a fortune.

It started with a 20 minute queue begging half way up the stairs to departure waiting for a passport check and questioning from police officers at the entrance to Departures

And I don't think I have seen so many security staff in one place in my life. I counted about 20 of them by the scanner machines plus the police and then two special branch cops at the end of the security hall (how many staff does such a small airport need?) - all of them dishing out abuse and attitude to customers.

And on return I had to use the intercom to get out having used prepay site to book my carparking as per the instructions on the gate - only to be barked at by someone from the office.

Was just a dreadful place. Could easily market itself as the small, friendly, convenient airport - but Peel really need to do something to improve the customer experience. I also won't be going back! VILE!

aidoair
30th Aug 2010, 15:50
I saw a German woman in front of me sent to the back of the queue to purchase a resealable clear bag, because the one she had used was 'too big' (it looked perfectly OK to me) When she asked why it was too big, she was told that 'those are the rules' and unless she purchased a ew one, her stuff would be destroyed. It was a disgraceful way to treat anyone, but especially someone from another country visiting over here.

Yes I slightly agree though never had a problem myself. The security staff do seem rude and quite arrogant to many passengers. Also the set up is appalling. What airport security do you have to queue up at for 20 minutes just to show your boarding card, to go through security yet to then queue again because there is hardly any space? The boarding card podeum should be located at the very front entance way and then more can queue after and the problems wouldn't happen. The main reason I say this is because twice now I have seen passengers with internet boarding cards sent back downstairs, presumably to have one re-issued because it can't scan.

As to say all the other staff were dreadfull, well I have to dissagree here as though some in the bar were dis-interested, those in duty-free and those who work for Servisair were really friendly and had a laugh with the other passengers too.

Was just a dreadful place. Could easily market itself as the small, friendly, convenient airport - but Peel really need to do something to improve the customer experience. I also won't be going back! VILE!

The thing is it really could be one of the best if not the best. When it first opened and up untill a couple of years ago it was presented much better. Untill me last few recent trips though, the airport seems to have started to look tired and shabby, and whos idea was it to paint cream everywhere it looks dirty! White is the way forward ;)

My final grip would be on arrival back at immigration. First of all, if you are the only flight arriving at the time then your fine. Though I have been there when two aicraft landed before us. We had to wait onboard for about 15 minutes for the walkway to clear only then to stand outside under no cover for another 15 in a queue to get inside. Once inside over 40 minutes after arrival we got to the front to be greeted by just two very mardy custom officers who needed training on how to break a smile, it is there job to work with people afterall. The only upside on this part was that our bags were waiting by this time and we were straight out.

I feel despite cost-cutting etc DSA should really start investing and looking after it's terminal again. First impressions count and to me at the minute it is pretty dark (must be saving electric bills) tired and shabby (must be saving cleaning staff bills). Come on Peel, I hope the new VCA do a better job!

horatio_b
30th Aug 2010, 20:45
Is it just coincidence that the other airport renowned for the attitude of their security
staff is Liverpool, also owned by Peel?

Maybe the same HR recruitment team involved - i.e. customer service skills not
necessary for security staff.

conflier
31st Aug 2010, 03:28
lpl not renowned for attitude as far as I am concerned.

Please elucidate.

rapidman47
31st Aug 2010, 08:10
Is it just coincidence that the other airport renowned for the attitude of their security
staff is Liverpool, also owned by Peel?

Thats very strange becouse Liverpool is not owned by Peel, Vancouver Airport Services own Liverpool:=

Rhayader
31st Aug 2010, 08:29
Vancouver Airport Services bought a 65% share of Peel Holdings in June 2010. You can change the keeper but the monkeys will still be monkeys.

shaftr1
31st Aug 2010, 10:44
Try flying from HUY. The staff are very polite and will always help with any problems. The airport has been top of the ASQ scores all year.
It's a perfect little airport to fly from.:D:D:D:D

ryansf
31st Aug 2010, 11:07
I was at DSA last week for the third time this year, and didn't have any problems whatsoever - already checked in online so went straight upstairs, breezed through security with no queuing at all. My Manchester-purchased plastic liquids bag was fine for them and the security staff were rather pleasant - so much so that it surprised me, and the person I was travelling with actually commented on how friendly they were! Maybe you just caught someone on an off day...

Also, if you were THAT annoyed, why not direct your comments at the airport instead of an internet forum?

dwlpl
31st Aug 2010, 11:15
Is it just coincidence that the other airport renowned for the attitude of their security staff is Liverpool, also owned by Peel?

Maybe the same HR recruitment team involved - i.e. customer service skills not necessary for security staff.

Security staff at Liverpool are NOT employed by the airport.

Jet A1
31st Aug 2010, 11:56
But certainly have attitude ! Attitudes similar to that of a night club bouncer.

Helen49
31st Aug 2010, 12:36
IF the customer service at Doncaster was as described, then the Management deserve to have it exposed on an internet forum! IF the service is so bad, the management should have known that and should have taken the appropriate action to remedy the problem.

The other view is that it is the customer having a bad day and security personnel are easy game in that situation. It is always good to have both sides of the story!

Alternatively, try Humberside or EMA or Leeds. Of course you could always have a similar experience but customers can vote with their feet!
Helen

horatio_b
31st Aug 2010, 13:28
lpl not renowned for attitude as far as I am concerned.
Please elucidate.

See posts #464 onwards on Liverpool-2 thread

dwlpl
31st Aug 2010, 15:04
Do we deduce from that, is that all that's written and posted on the net is gospel?

The Swinging Monkey
31st Aug 2010, 15:40
ryansf

Thank you for your advice, and just for the record, I have written to them again today. This is after I wrote to them a few weeks ago about the appalling state of the toilets. Not that I received a reply from them of course, but at least I put pen to paper then, just as I have done again today, although I think I have wasted my time again.

I have also advised them that I will not travel from there again, but I doubt if that will bother them too much. It might be more worthwhile writing to Wizz Air and East Jet (the 2 carriers I use the most) about the problems and see if they have any clout with the airport. Perhaps the threat of a loss of pax to them might not fall on deaf ears as it appears to do with the airport management.

The problem as i see it is that I just don't think the people at Robin Hood give a toss about the people that ultimately pay their wages. Maybe I'm wrong, but judging by the majority or replies on this forum I don't think I am. Clearly there are problems and they need addressing and rectifying soonest I would suggest.

Helen, I take your point and your comments are most valid, however I can assure you I wasn't having a bad day at all. Far from it. For once, I was travelling abroad NOT on business, but for a big party in Amsterdam with some friends! Shame it got off to such a bad start, but things began to get better once we on the aircraft, and even better still in Amsterdam!!!

Best wishes!
TSM

Helen49
31st Aug 2010, 19:32
I sense it is symptomatic of the times that customers are not appreciated. It is as though they are doing you a favour when I thought it was the other way round! Staff are not properly trained in the finer points of service and sadly some people given a uniform and a tad of authority, become little Hitlers! But, good managers should identify these problems and resolve them. Doncaster is a splendid airfield with so much going for it, perhaps with the exception of road access. If only the management had the sense to ensure that having got the cars into the car park, the service from then on should be first class. The solution so often being in their own hands! Begs a few questions about the management!! May be Vancouver Airports will sort it!
H49

monkeytennis
31st Aug 2010, 19:55
The security staff are just plain rude imo. Going to Palma the other week I was ordered to hand over my belt so some gorilla could swab it. No explanation was offered, no conversation or eye contact made. The only good thing was being amused at how excited the guy appeared to be about the swabbing (I bet it's the high point of his day lol).

The wife had to empty her handbag to satisfy a real dried up old witch of a woman who again made no eye contact or explanation for what she was doing.

You could tell that everyone travelling just felt like second class citizens, it was really very poor.

Arriving back, the customs officer shouted at the wife because she had switched her mobile on while waiting in the queue. Apparently it's a 'restricted area'. Quite what danger a mobile phone poses in the arrivals hall is quite beyond me and again it was not explained.

I'm a patient and tolerant man but I really felt like punching this guy's lights out. There's just no need to treat people like that. :(

The stinger is I live right next door to DSA so I always try to fly from there but this kind of experience is very off-putting.

RobT100
31st Aug 2010, 21:01
Well yes I do actually, there was never a commercial requirement for DSA, it was the likes of Thomson who at the time thought they could model airports to run some sort of low cost model to fit their agenda.

As it happens TUI have now dumped on the airport and left it where it cannot attract pax (as there aren't so many in that vicinity) and it has no business model.

Overall, it's a white elephant but I guess being a local you probably won't agree with me

Going loco
31st Aug 2010, 21:08
So by your logic, any airport handling less than 900,000 passengers is a white elephant. Norwich, Blackpool, Newquay, Humberside, Teesside, Exeter etc.

flybar
31st Aug 2010, 21:22
Far too simplistic! Most of the airports mentioned are happy to be Regional Airports.
DSA was marketed from the start as an International Airport which would have services to everywhere & anywhere because it had a nice long runway.
Many locals believed what they were told and are now seeing the true situation opening up before their very eyes.
The catchment area was never big enough in the first place to sustain the airport.
Sheffield City Airport was South Yorkshire's other attempt at an airport!

Get me some traffic
31st Aug 2010, 21:25
Teesside was moving over 900,000 pax until Peel took over!

mmeman
31st Aug 2010, 22:30
RobT100 and Shaftr of course are supporters/fans of LBA and HUY and I don't believe Teesside ever 'moved' over 900,000 passengers, Durham Tees Valley did in 2005 and 2006 after Peel had taken over. :rolleyes:

handleturning
1st Sep 2010, 20:46
I fly from RHADS regularly and am sorry so many have had a negative experience. I find it to be a really great place to fly from and have never had an issue with the staff. Have also been fortunate enough to pass on my thoughts to the MD who I must say is an absolutely top bloke.

johnnychips
2nd Sep 2010, 00:09
Just like handleturning, I've been through DSA at least 12 times and never had one ounce of a problem.

If the MD is as good as he says, however, customers who have not had a pleasant experience should address their concerns to him and expect a prompt reply.

Although I am a proud adopted Doncastrian, I always wondered about the potential catchment, what with LBA, MAN, HUY and EMA being reasonably nearby.

DSA's USP (unique selling point) really should be its smallness, convenience and friendliness - the road access isn't that bad, and public transport is adequate. Poor staff attitude (which I suspect is not that common) should be addressed at once.

N707ZS
2nd Sep 2010, 13:42
Any sign of any VAS people at Doncaster or any of the three airports?

dwlpl
2nd Sep 2010, 13:46
Their top UK man is supposed to be over here now and has been at Liverpool quite often, I dont know if its from LPL that he is based out of.

N707ZS
3rd Sep 2010, 18:30
Hopefully he has some sort of a clue as how to run an airport and then the group might get somewhere.

GdLSF
4th Sep 2010, 20:18
I would imagine that most enthusiasts from "this neck of the woods" think that DSA should have never been allowed to happen at all. This area was quite adequately served by MAN (long haul), EMA, LBA and HUY. It was a political decision because they thought a long runway would achieve a lot of business from outside of the UK. I think it has been proved that they were wrong.

pug
5th Sep 2010, 02:01
GdLSF.

They aquired the land at Tinsley for a quid, that is arguably the best piece of development land between Leicester and Leeds. It was also quite possibly the best position for a business airport in Yorkshire, shame really.

Wait to see what Easyjet plan to do next year before having more of a definate idea, if they stay and grow then all the better ( i will certainly use them alot) but if not then it proves your point.

L'aviateur
5th Sep 2010, 03:20
I was living within a few miles of Doncaster Robin Hood Airport until recently, and having flown in and out as a pilot of a based light aircraft found the security and service excellent. The airport was an absolute pleasure to fly from.
For business, I prefered Humberside. Firstly because Humberside has the KLM flights, but secondly because its just such a cosy airport, everything is setup to make it easy to fly from there. You rock up 20 minutes before, and if the doors are still open they let you onboard. What more can you ask for?
If Doncaster was to take on a scheduled flight like the KLM one, it would have to offer a customer service, particularly to it's Gold and Platinum passengers. Fasttrack services, a good lounge, priority boarding and the ability to leave your carry on at the door and collect it on arrival AMS. My worst experiences at DSA have been with arriving and having to wait over an hour for a hire car because they don't have staff onsite despite booking the car in advance.
They seem to be setup to meet the low cost airline market, and as a business traveller it can be a bit of a nightmare mixing with the low cost holidaymakers, and after a couple of experiences I refuse to do it again (nothing snobbish, just life seems to be made difficult).

The Swinging Monkey
5th Sep 2010, 08:31
Well regretably, (and not my choice) I have to fly to Warsaw on Tuesday of this week from Robin Hood, so I'll give you an update of the service I receive and the state of the toilets!!

Thanks for all your comments.
TSM

2Planks
6th Sep 2010, 09:00
Well I flew into and out of DSA this weekend. On arrival UK Border personnel were friendly. I did notice a large sign saying no mobile phones so if you chose to ignore the orders of a Government Officer you deserve all you get. On return the security staff were all positive - despite the queue - a little longer than I would normally hope for. But with only one flight in a 3 hour block, I suppose you don't get cheap flights with Business class service. Additionally, the staff seemed very helpful towards the unfortunate folks booked on the EZY to BCN which had a major tech problem, providing regular updates. I take your points on the decor - it is a little dull and both airside and groundside tiolets had not been serviced for 5 hours and could have done with refreshing.
Regarding the economics of DSA, (my previous post asking for why it should be left to rot was deleted??) I would still maintain that had it been allowed to develop into an airport when the RAF moved out in 1995 we would now have a very busy airport in that they coukld have surfed the wave of the low cost expansion rather than being on the coat tails of it. However, it now has significantly more traffic than HUY and as LBA is now approaching capacity at peak hours there may be more scope for more expansion. Judging by the number of cars in the car park they are doing something right.

pug
6th Sep 2010, 10:33
2planks, looks like EZY are leaving after December by most accounts. The flights look to have done quite well, but the Amsterdam has had load factors of as low as 50% during the summer and around 60% at the most. People in Easyjet say yields are not too great, and that the aircraft would be better used in either expansion at MAN/LGW or on the continent.

Could be that they agreed to do the flights in order to show VAS that it was growing so they could sell their 65% shares in the airports.

Donnysteve
6th Sep 2010, 11:09
says who exactly? Doesn't seem two minutes since "those in the know" were saying that easyjet would be pulling out of DSA in October,i'd expect a decline in flights over winter,but who says there wont be an increase in flights from spring onwards,apart from those wanting to pull the airport down for there own reasons?

pug
6th Sep 2010, 11:12
No ones said they were leaving in October, not that ive seen/heard.

I guess we will just have to wait and see, i suspect it wont take long as the flights would have to go on sale soon if they are to continue.

Teevee
6th Sep 2010, 14:23
Nobody knows for certain of course, but one thing that did always puzzle me was the strange 'term' of the timetable? Why 8 or seven and a half months or whatever it was? It occurs to me that it was strange that there was no real commitment for something a bit more substantial than a summer and just half a winter? I do not think there was any way that EZY could have been brought in for such a period to demonstrate to VAS that DSA was growing, as I think that they're far too savvy to be taken in by that, but I do wonder if Peel gave EZY a really good deal for that period (Fly One Get One Free?:p)as some sort of 'marketing ploy' to a potential investor ...i.e. to demonstrate to such as VAS the potential of the airport that if you do get the right operators/flights into DSA then they will be used, as it seems has happened to a great extent with EZY.

waveskimmer
6th Sep 2010, 15:20
Hi swinging monkey

sorry about your ghastly experience at the hands of useless jobs worths,

proves what I always thought,its grim up north:ugh:

jumpseater
6th Sep 2010, 19:53
gdlsf
I would imagine that most enthusiasts from "this neck of the woods" think that DSA should have never been allowed to happen at all. This area was quite adequately served by MAN (long haul), EMA, LBA and HUY. It was a political decision because they thought a long runway would achieve a lot of business from outside of the UK. I think it has been proved that they were wrong.

If of course they were adequately served you'd have to ask why HUY has only seen a 3% increase in pax this year regardless of runway length. DSA has seen a 27% increase.

It would appear then on simple 'most enthusiast' counting numbers stuff that the airport that's not needed in Yorkshire is Humberside with such a woefull performance, regardless of runway length.

johnnychips
6th Sep 2010, 22:11
Please don't start a DSA v HUY knocking each other debate. Most people want both to succeed. There's enough of this in MAN and LPL threads.