PDA

View Full Version : RAAus instructing hours

Staticport
29th Aug 2010, 11:12
Good evening,

Are you able to count instructional hours in RAAus aircraft towards GA instructor rating upgrades?

The CAO's states ab initio training is training conducted in a "registered aircraft" and the is for sequences relevant to the issue of a PPL - but does that mean a VH registered aircraft?

Thank you

Homesick-Angel
29th Aug 2010, 13:35
Yes you can because an RA aircraft is a registered aircraft.

There is an issue with the hours not counting until you are senior grade three instructor in GA(write to CASA re the finer points of this as I cant recall exactly ), but from then on all the hours count to the grade 2 and 1 Instructor Rating.

( 750 RA hours can be used for your ATPL. )

And... 100 hours can be done in an RA reg aircraft for your CPL in the 200 hour course, but not in the 150 hour course(not sure how many if any can be counted in the 150...)

VH-XXX
29th Aug 2010, 21:24
Yes you can because an RA aircraft is a registered aircraft.

This has been done before on here so many times.

In the end what we all find out after dozens of posts is that ra-aus are not registered aircraft, however the only reason that the hours count up to 100 for CPL is because ra-aus have a letter from CASA saying that 100 hours csn count. As for the legality of that letter for what is being discussed here in this thread is anyones guess and you would need a good aviation legal consultant to determine that for you.

HLB, where are you?

Horatio Leafblower
29th Aug 2010, 22:47
*sigh*

OK.

1/. Reg or not reg has nothing to do with it - but for the record, RAAus reg is not "registered". The whole point of CAO101.55 is that it exempts you from certain provisions of the CARs, including Reg, Medical, Licences, Maintenance reqts.

2/. Yes you can use RAAus instructional hours for an FI(A) upgrade - as I recall you are able to count up to 250 hours of "other instruction" and it falls into that category.

As for the mass-debate I had here 9 months ago, I made my case to Screaming Skull along the lines I argued here. About 4 months later I finally got a response that said "no that's wrong, you CAN use RAAus solo time to satisfy the 100 (70?) hour Command time reqt for a 200 hour CPL" but their reasoning and explanation was along the lines of "because I said so".

...which is really good because now I can integrate my RAAus school and GA school and give people a 200 hour CPL solution that doesn't require masses of extra expenditure. I'm not as anti-RAAus as some would have you believe :E

VH-XXX
29th Aug 2010, 23:15
What he said. His words said it more betterer.

maverick22
30th Aug 2010, 00:07
Yes, however you can only get a reduction of 10 hours of the 50 required for the rating, as long as you have at least 100 hrs instructional experience in a 3 axis ultralight.

Refer CAO 40.1.7

6 Exemptions
6.1 An applicant with instructional experience in other than recognised aeroplanes and registered aeroplanes is entitled to a reduction of 10 hours in the mutual practice or dual instruction flight time that would otherwise be required for subparagraph 4.1A (b) if he or she:
(a) is a qualified gliding instructor with a minimum of 100 hours gliding
instructional experience; or
(b) is a qualified ultralight instructor with a minimum of 100 hours
instructional experience on Group A ultralight aeroplanes with flight
control systems that operate on the 3 axes; or(c) holds a flight instructor (helicopter) rating with a minimum of 100 hours
helicopter instructional experience.

I tried to get my hours counted too but there was no way around it:(