PDA

View Full Version : driving record

bigairbus
29th Aug 2010, 04:47
hey guys, im a 2000 hr pilot with all the boxes ticked for the airlines, but i have a driving record which i lost my licence in court, just wondering if this would prevent me from getting a job? i have a passport, asic card and have been overseas since, any thoughts on this anyone? if im waisting my time in applying. thanks

Visual Landing
29th Aug 2010, 05:41
No you are not waisting your time, or even wasting your time. (Sorry couldn't help it:O) If you have all the stuff you mentioned no-one will even ask. So long as it is not a criminal record. Cheers.

mustman
29th Aug 2010, 06:04
Pretty sure this has been discussed before.

DUI = Criminal ?? :confused:

ozangel
29th Aug 2010, 06:07
If its a DUI, it's a criminal offence, if its speeding its a traffic offence.

If its criminal youll need to delcare it on the airline asic application form, (as they'll most likely re-issue it).

You shouldnt have any issues - as they seem to only be interested if you lost your licence driving the getaway car waving a shot gun out the window... :ok:

From my understanding, you can still even get a US crew visa with a finding of guilt related to DUI - it just depends on whether the recruiters realise it - and even then it'd only matter if you'll be flying US routes.

bigairbus
29th Aug 2010, 07:41
Was not a DUI, but just as bad I guess I had lost my license due to demerit points for 3 months, and I started to drive on the day I thought was right, I was pulled over for random RBT and was told that I was not able to drive until that midnight. So my own irresponsibility for not checking first cost me 12 month disqualification.

40Deg STH
29th Aug 2010, 10:48
Relax

I have done demerit points and later a 3 month rest from driving for mid range PCA (DUI) and has no effect. Mind you, that was 20years plus ago or more.
Flying for a major international airline based in Asia.
Enjoy your future.

I have had no offences in 21 years now though.:ok::ok:

I also have a US crew visa and have never been rejected from any country.:D. Kicked out of the odd bar though!!!

Sexual Chocolate
29th Aug 2010, 14:41
I am an 1800 hour pilot, I have a DUI charge and I got a job with an airline.

Aussie
29th Aug 2010, 22:02
Since on the topic who knows if one has to declare a spent conviction to an airline when applying? Can spent convictions be traced by an employer?

Cheers

Nadsy
30th Aug 2010, 00:00
I had a mid-range DUI over 10 years ago now. Prior to the 10 years lapsing, I had a QF interview for the Comm Cadetship. They did ask me about the incident, but also made very clear that it wasn't going to impact on the result... unfortunately I'll never find out, as I didn't get through!

P.S> Their application form only asked for incidents within the last 10 years.

HercFeend
30th Aug 2010, 00:30
who knows if one has to declare a spent conviction
Under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, the reason a conviction becomes spent after a specific duration (the elapsed time before becoming spend depends on the nature of the conviction) is precisely so you don't have to declare it. Essentially it's like it never happened.

There are, however, exceptions to and industries that are exempt from this rule but this would be made very clear during the process and or on the application form. You would usually see something along the lines of: .....List all convictions, including any that are deemed 'spent' under the RoOA........

If you don't see this type of wording then you're entitled to keep quiet about your former life and have a clean slate........that's what it's for!

Aussie
30th Aug 2010, 09:38
Thanks for that. Thats what i thought, but wasnt sure. Cheers! :ok:

PLovett
30th Aug 2010, 10:50
You shouldnt have any issues - as they seem to only be interested if you lost your licence driving the getaway car waving a shot gun out the window...

In which case they will probably make you CEO of a low cost carrier.......:}

Zoomy
31st Aug 2010, 09:50
I am an 1800 hour pilot, I have a DUI charge and I got a job with an airline.

With a name like Sexual Chocolate and a an opposite sex interviewer, you would of been a shoe in......:ok:

Mach E Avelli
31st Aug 2010, 11:49
DUI not a good look, but most of us who are really honest with ourselves and over the age of 18 and not Mormons or Methodists would surely admit "there but for the grace of God..."etc.
Speeding is only acceptable if you were going fast enough to blow all your points in one hit. Pussies not allowed. Blowing points by stages due to multiple speeding tickets indicates a slow learner. Like anyone on their third wife....
As for being booked for driving before midnight on the day of expiry, a mere technical triviality.

flyboy_nz
31st Aug 2010, 11:53
With a name like Sexual Chocolate and a an opposite sex interviewer, you would of been a shoe in......

'Sexual Chocolate', nice forum name. If you don't mind me asking, how did you come up with that name?:ok:

maverick22
1st Sep 2010, 00:37
I could be wrong, but I recall it was from the film 'Coming To America' with Eddie Murphy. Classic:ok: