PDA

View Full Version : S-76 and sand

satpak77
29th Aug 2010, 00:36
How compatible/appropriate is the S-76 for a home base in a beach/sandy environment ?

I would think the tires would not be sand/beach friendly

industry insider
29th Aug 2010, 00:39
Which S-76? it will be the compressors which will be the big problem

Ascend Charlie
29th Aug 2010, 02:17
An S76 B model with EAPS should remove the sand for the engines.
The tyre pressure of (I think) 160 psi might be a worry. They sink into soft grass up to the axles, but don't break the brake lines off like some other types do. Never landed one on a beach, though...

satpak77
29th Aug 2010, 02:58
it will be S-76 B Model

Canuck Guy
29th Aug 2010, 05:41
Only issue I ever had landing an S76 in beach sand was the depth the nose wheel can sink, to the point I was surprised we didn't tear the nose gear doors off.

unstable load
29th Aug 2010, 07:16
I worked on one in a sandy environment and even on a compacted surface it was a problem moving it. You will struggle, IMO.

The EAPS will help, but you will still get reduced life on the engines and erosion on the blades.

InspG
29th Aug 2010, 08:13
I have used metal grids to spread the load and it works a treat. Just make sure you use deep pegs. If the sand is damp you should be able to negate corrosion by blowing it. Your biggest problem is going to be the salt-laden atmosphere and you are going to need to fresh-water wash the airframe and engines on a daily basis.

29th Aug 2010, 14:44
I would seriously be much more concerned about the effects of sand on compressors and blades for repeated ops, than landing in the sand (steel mats, mesh etc can manage that for you).

Sand may mean beach - beach means salt water and salt spray. That of itself would be another concern and will raise issues on any aircraft with repeated exposure.

Even with Centrisep Eaps, I think you're still going to see some additional engine overhaul costs, although obviously much better than without it. Does Pall even have an installation for the S76B PT6 installation (not too many S76B variants I would have thought to justify development - curious myself). None of it will help with M/R and T/R blade erosion though (tapes etc just aren't that effective) - ouch!

satpak77
29th Aug 2010, 16:25
thanks for the info guys...

unstable load
30th Aug 2010, 17:19
Of course, the Aerofilter Inlet Barrier filters are now Series approved, I believe, so that will fix that problem.

rotorbrent
30th Aug 2010, 19:50
The S-76 will land on the beach very well.

But I would hate to imagine the additional cost of doing so on a regular basis. I personally would not drive my $15 million dollar car on the beach. You will have sand everywhere to deal with and shortened life of everything.

500e
30th Aug 2010, 21:31
These could help blade erosion if you can procure products & clear for use

http://rain-sand-erosion.com/SCHPublicat/ShekHong_Presentation_AgingAircraft2005.pdf

http://rain-sand-erosion.com/SCHPublications/ShekHong_PaperHighPerformance_SprayableCoatingsandMold.pdf

Another possible product

http://www.asm-usa.com/coatings/aerocoat.pdf