PDA

View Full Version : NZ Flying School Christchurch

planeshipcar
27th Aug 2010, 13:17
Hey Guys,

I was reading in the Christchurch press jobs about NZ Flying School reopeniong at the end of the year and needing new instructors.

This was orignally located at wigram and had to move when wigram was taken over as it is moari land.

Has anyone got any information on this. I can't find anything. I'm curius to know where the airfield is that it will be flying from.

cheers

conflict alert
27th Aug 2010, 20:17
Haven't heard anything but most likely Rangiora which is where they set up briefly after Wigram closed.

aldee
27th Aug 2010, 23:01
Don't think they have any building options at RT anymore.
IMHO more likely to see the local BIG school there than a reborn CFS.

zkcub
27th Aug 2010, 23:28
From a private strip according to the ad.

Sqwark2000
28th Aug 2010, 02:47
From a private strip according to the ad.

That might fit in the rumour I've heard of that the Darfield strip could be utilised. I've heard just yesterday that Darfield has been sold and it's entirely likely that the new owner will be looking for a return on investment.

S2K

Corkey McFuz
28th Aug 2010, 07:49
I dont know where it is but I do know it's not Darfield

conflict alert
28th Aug 2010, 11:51
Darfield is certainly long enough but the set up costs would be huge. Building, power, water, sewerage, resource consent for building and operating a flight school....there's more private strips around canterbury than you could shake a stick at but I can't think of any off the top of my head that would support a flying school. West Melton's out as the club runs it so it would be a conflict of interest. Some guy has subdivided his block of land into a bundle of sections and flicking them off as an ''air park'' at Fernside which has got all the locals up in arms and trying to put a stop to it. Forest Field has a finite number of take off and landings per year, Hororata where the gliders operate have been given a certain number of takeoffs per week or year due to the locals grumbling so if its not Rangiora its going to have to be in the middle of nowwhere.

aldee
28th Aug 2010, 22:07
Be interested in a link to the advertised position, my searches turn up zilch:eek:

First_Principal
30th Aug 2010, 10:29
Hmm, observational skills are a bit lacking here...

Adverts have been for "The NZ School of Flying" which is not "The New Zealand Flying School" (ex CFS), I imagine the choice/similarity of name was deliberate. A little sleuthing has revealed the person behind the operation, and I'm aware of at least one private strip owner that has apparently been approached by this same person.

I've my view on the likely outcome of this but in the interests of acknowledging that a person may just show their true entrepreneurial & organisational ability given half a chance I'll keep that view to myself.

FP.

Sqwark2000
30th Aug 2010, 10:47
Hororata where the gliders operate have been given a certain number of takeoffs per week or year due to the locals grumbling

Could absolutely guarantee that it wouldn't be Hororata, even trying to get permission to operate a couple of cessna's there for a single weekend is a nightmare ( and so far unsuccessful)

Besides it's a marginal field when the displaced thresholds are taken into account.

I'm a member of the Glding Club at Horo and the only "restriction" that I'm aware of is that only aircraft involved in the gliding operation may operate there. No maximum t/o's & ldg's etc...

S2K

aldee
30th Aug 2010, 12:51
Good on you Sherlock, all I asked for was a link to an advert

conflict alert
30th Aug 2010, 17:07
I'm a member of the Glding Club at Horo and the only "restriction" that I'm aware of is that only aircraft involved in the gliding operation may operate there. No maximum t/o's & ldg's etc...

S2K

Oh okay, I looked into building a hanger there a few years ago and was told about the max / year thing then so it must have changed. At the time the club was sniffing around other areas to operate from as they couldn't build (or extend, can't remember which now) their clubrooms, let alone allow me to build a hanger due to restrictions imposed by the council because of resident complaints. Guess they must have worked all through that over the last few years.

Hmm, observational skills are a bit lacking here...

I think you will find that most were responding to the original post which quite clearly saysNZ Flying School reopeniong and This was orignally located at wigram

zkcub
31st Aug 2010, 03:43
I agree with FP(for once)
sounds like a load of bollox to me and would be very surprised if anything actually got off the ground...

First_Principal
31st Aug 2010, 11:54
Good on you Sherlock, all I asked for was a link to an advertHuh? I wasn't actually responding to you. There is no link per se, both advertisments were on paper (The Press, and flyers placed on vehicles at NZWG). The flyer, which was placed on a friends car some time ago, did mention a website which contained an image of the flyer :rolleyes:... And no I don't recall the website URL sorry, it was quite a few months ago.

I think you will find that most were responding to the original post which quite clearly saysYes, and the original post made an assumption based on an erroneous reading of the advertisment in The Press. NZFS/CFS was not the subject of that advert, TNZSoF was.

I agree with FP(for once)Holy crap, glad I've got that in writing :}

FP.