PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane - Goondiwindi

aviation_enthus
27th Aug 2010, 02:29
Has there ever been a Brisbane - Goondiwindi service?
Or anywhere to Goondiwindi for that matter?

Couldn't find anything on the net...

Ixixly
27th Aug 2010, 03:09
I think there used to be a Kingair out of Toowoomba once upon a time, but hasn't been around for a while I reckon?

chimbu warrior
27th Aug 2010, 03:26
Yes it was served by Air Queensland/Bush Pilots, and prior to that by Queensland Airlines. It just depends what era you are interested in.

aviation_enthus
27th Aug 2010, 22:33
Thanks guys.

Any era suits me! Do you know how often BPA or Eastland ran out there?

ForkTailedDrKiller
28th Aug 2010, 03:05
CW has it!

Bushies used to go to Gundi back in the 70's.

In fact lots of places had airservices back then that don't today - that's called progress, isn't it?

I recall catching a TAA Twotter at Miles/Condamine and at Bowen, a C402 in Clermont and Collinsville, and I have ridden the Kingair from Toowoomba to Sydney and back.

At one time in the 70/early 80's there was an Aztec went Brisbane-Cherribah-Warwick-Coolangatta!

Interesting to see a Dornier at Chinchilla last Tuesday - didn't know about that one.

Dr :8

Aye Ess
28th Aug 2010, 03:15
If my memory serves me correctly,Burnett Airways used to service ports west from Brisbane in the early to mid 70s using Trislanders. Imagine bumping around on a hot summer's day doing the commuter service at 135kts.

Anyhoo,Bushies bought out Burnett & I have some old Bushie timetables from 1981 when they were operating Cessna Titans BN-TWB-GOON-TWB-BN 7 days per week arr Goon 11.15am & dep 11.45am. One year later the service was down to Mon,Wed,Thurs,Fri.

Capt Fathom
28th Aug 2010, 04:21
Someone?? took over the routes from Air Queensland.

Then Coddair did it for some time. They then became part of Norfolk Island Airlines!

There were routes also to St.George, Cunnamulla and Thargominda!

Next!

dude65
28th Aug 2010, 09:42
There was a mob who flew Archerfield to G'Windi.

Wasn't that long ago either. I remember seeing one of their aircraft parked at G'Windi when I did a navex there for my PPL in July 2005.

I remember they had a female CP and I think they had some sort of association with a G'windi busness. (From memory the owner of the operation also owned a local sawmill).

That's the best I can recall, it may jog somebodys memory.

Section28- BE
28th Aug 2010, 10:23
Dude65-

For what it's worth...?- No actual knowledge, but I believe- Dick Sudholz of Sudholz Earthmoving ran a T303 Crusader (amongst whatever else, I don't know) AF- Goondiwindi (or where required..) in support of that earthmoving operation, way back when???

Don't know that any of it was other than Company/PVT??

Regards
S28- BE

poteroo
29th Aug 2010, 01:40
In December 1956 I flew from Brisbane to Moree via Goondiwindi in a Butler Airlines DC3 - my 1st flight and really a rough one too. I think it went on from Moree to Narrabri and then Tooraweenah then Tamworth - Sydney.

I think Butler was taken over by East-West by about 1960, and they were flying F27's at least to Moree. I think the Brisbane leg might have been dropped after the takeover??

happy days,

dude65
29th Aug 2010, 22:53
Section28-BE

That's the one I'm thinking of. Not sure if they still do it but was certainly in business 4 or 5 years ago:ok:

I think he had a Cherokee 6 as well

dribbler
29th Aug 2010, 23:45
Was a Saratoga, the retrac version. Was an excellent boss/operation as far as GA goes...

C206driver
30th Aug 2010, 02:41
LMS CRUSADER now offer charters from/to Gundi amongst other places...
They operate another T303 Crusader quite similar to Dick Sudholz old machine (now onsold)

envoy603
6th Sep 2010, 09:48
LMS Crusader, bought VHMRO (Sudholz) back in 2008 when Sudholz unfortunately went into receivership. LMS has both VHMRO and VHLMS both 303 operating majority private farming operations and the odd charter. Sudholz was a fantastic GA operator gave many girls and guys a good start.