PDA

View Full Version : For the Irish Residents on here. Rescue 117

206Fan
26th Aug 2010, 21:51
A preview of the new 6 part documentary series following the Irish Coast Guard S-61 which is going to be aired on Irelands RTE station sometime soon. I'm not to sure when and if it's going to be aired on any other TV stations. Looks interesting.

_N3GJGy6iz8

helisdw
26th Aug 2010, 22:10
With any luck, it might make it onto the RTE Player...

RT Player: Catch up with your favourite TV programmes online (http://www.rte.ie/player/#)

Simon

206Fan
13th Sep 2010, 02:11
RTÉ RESCUE 117 New SeriesFor the first time ever RTÉ cameras have been given exclusive access to the Irish Coast Guard's helicopter Search and Rescue service. Filmed over six months, RTÉ cameras follow the rescue crews at Waterford helicopter base (RESCUE 117) as they battle to save lives in one of the most hostile environments in the world.

Leading some of the most dramatic rescues ever caught on film is chief pilot Dara Fitzpatrick who is one of only a handful of female civilian rescue pilots in the world.

Highlights from the series include exclusive footage of a plane crash off Tusker Rock, the dramatic rescue of three RNLI volunteers, the dash to save a baby's life and the vivid rescue of a woman stranded by incoming tides. In a first for Irish television we see 18 different rescues, in operations ranging from airlifts from ships on the high seas, to mountain rescues, and medical evacuations, and we capture Dara and her crew's battle to save lives in graphic detail.

Dara Fitzpatrick has over 20 years flying experience. She is chief pilot in Waterford since 2002. She describes her job as "challenging and exciting".

The Irish Coast Guard helicopters are fitted with forward-looking infra radar (FLIR) to detect the heat signature of a person.
RTÉ put fixed cameras in the cockpit, and cabin of the helicopter and also attached pencil cams to the helmets of the winch crew.

Rescue 117 is a six part factual documentary series from RTÉ Cork.

Transmission Date: Tuesday 14 September 2010 8:30pm RTE One

Looking forward to it!

bolkow
13th Sep 2010, 08:49
had heard this begins tuesday (tomorrow) and would love to see it, remains to be seen if I can download the link when I get home.

shetlander
14th Sep 2010, 12:21
Can you view this on SKY?

Or has anyone found out if it will be on the player?

MidlandDeltic
14th Sep 2010, 12:34
Sky viewers with an Irish card can get RTE1. UK cards cannot - and RTE is not available free-to-air satellite.

RTE player is normally only accessible to users connecting through an Irish server - but if you connect to an Irish proxy server, you may be able to watch it.

Here in Ireland we can see UK free to air (BBC, ITV etc), but cannot view their players.

MD

bolkow
14th Sep 2010, 14:23
I am afraid I live in the UK and am far from being a computer geek so my guess is I will miss this interesting series.

helisdw
15th Sep 2010, 15:21
Bolkow - no need to be a computer geek! I too am but a mere mortal when it comes to computers...

If you click on the RTE Player link I posted previously, you can watch the Rescue 117 program for free (it is akin to the BBC iPlayer). From the UK it quite happily lets you watch it without any jiggery pokery!

Happy viewing,

Simon

TipCap
18th Sep 2010, 21:13
Thanks Davy07 and helisdw (Simon) for posting this. It really brings back pleasant memories.

I started off the Irish Civilian SAR in Shannon in 1991. Looking at my logbook I went operational with EI-BLY on July 5th 1991 and spent a happy year detached from HMCG Flight at Lee-on-Solent. For my sins, they gave me the DCP job there.

Last flight was in EI-BHO on May 31st 1992. I worked with a great bunch of guys drawn from all the Services and the Air Corps but I guess they have all moved on by now since it is nearly 20 years ago

Ádh mór

John Whale

206Fan
19th Sep 2010, 16:44
As Simon already posted, anybody that didn't see the first part can watch it on the RTE Player.

RT Player: Catch up with your favourite TV programmes online (http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1080452)

fisbangwollop
20th Sep 2010, 08:11
A bit about Dara here..:cool::cool:

btjZ8MhmhuU

bolkow
20th Sep 2010, 09:42
thank you helisdw, as soon as I get home tonight I will look that up, work computer wont let me play it. Again thanks

bolkow

helisdw
20th Sep 2010, 11:22
TipCap and Bolkow - you're most welcome.

It was refreshing to watch a program about the rescue services in which the crew and their machine were largely left to demonstrate their capabilities without over dramatisation and pseudo-angst from a scripted narrator. But that's just my opinion!

TipCap - I recently read "Nine Lives" by ex-SAR pilot David Courtney, which features EI-BHO as the cover photo. An interesting read with a lot of details about places in and around the Irish coast, along with tales of SAR operations.

Simon

TipCap
20th Sep 2010, 14:09
Thanks Simon

I remember David Courtney. Last time I bumped into him for an ale or three was when he visited Bristow Aberdeen for some training.

On a similar thread, TVS (TV South or Meridian, I can't remember which TV Station it was - put it down to old age), did a similar type of series called "Rescue India Juliet" based on the life of the Lee-on-Solent CG SAR S61N which I featured in a few times but is now probably lost in the annals of time!!!

John

bolkow
20th Sep 2010, 14:24
Helisdw, just a note to mention EI-BHO now operates for the coastguard in the UK. I think its reg is G-BWPB

helisdw
20th Sep 2010, 21:13
John - the show "Rescue India Juliet" didn't ring any bells with me but when I did a bit of searching, it appears it was filmed in 1994 for ITV and then became "Coastguard Rescue" for later series. I do recall seeing G-BDIJ, and I think G-BPWB, in the BBC series "Seaside Rescue" - clearly I need to spend less time watching TV!

Bolkow - thanks for the info. GINFO shows EI-BHO is indeed now G-BPWB with a modest 17309hr as of last December!

Simon

TipCap
2nd Oct 2010, 21:50
Yes "Rescue IJ" was made by Meridian.

I remember being featured in several episodes. 1 was pulling a person off a yacht who went into anaphalactic shock (the person not the yacht :D) and another was a hang glider who came down off the beach on the Isle of Wight. The major difference between "Rescue India Juliet" and "Coastguard Rescue" was "Rescue India Juliet" was often a reconstruction of incident when we went and did it again often using the same crew who were involved in the incident. However, I do remember we did carry a cameraman with us so there were live rescues as well. "Coastguard Rescue" I beleive was all live

JohnW