PDA

View Full Version : Android Aviation Apps

Ixixly
26th Aug 2010, 14:12
Hey all,

Alrighty so we've had the iPhone Aviation Apps thread, but i'm finding it hard to find specific apps that are available for the Android Systems for Aviation.

Specifically i'm looking for ones that allow Flight Planning (NAIPs enabled would be awesome!), W&B, Moving Map GPS that works when outside network coverage.

I'm also wondering what peoples experiences have been with some of the better and more popular Android based phones like the Sony Ericcson Xperia X10 and the HTC Desire and also some of the Windows Mobile 6.5 based phones like the HTC HD2 in terms of how smooth they are to operate and how good they are in some of the more remote areas!!

Looking to get one these phones on the Telstra network and some user opinions specific to this sort of stuff would be greatly appreciated!!

HercFeend
26th Aug 2010, 20:09
I've got a HTC Touch HD running WM6.5.

As far as moving map software goes I've always used Memory Map Memory-Map Aus/NZ | Topo Maps | Marine Charts | GPS Software (http://memory-map.com.au/)

In the UK you can purchase CAA aviation charts for the software which is awesome, unfortunately in NZ, Airways own the rights to aviation charts and apparently refuse to let anyone reproduce them digitally for this purpose (this is what I was told a couple of years ago anyway - it may have changed). So now, here in NZ, I still use Memory Map but use their Topo maps instead. I've found the 1:250k works the best - just the right amount of detail, not to dissimilar to av charts.

I use it every time I fly as a back up to traditional chart nav but also the device and program records your track, hight, speed etc so you can critique you flights when you're back on the ground - see how accurate you were.

The Touch HD had an inbuilt GPS but I prefer to use an external Bluetooth GPS receiver, I've always found it to be more accurate for some reason. Maybe someone can shed some light on that.......

I know nothing about Androids!

Hope this helps.