PDA

View Full Version : Peculiar AIP DAP note

FRQ Charlie Bravo
26th Aug 2010, 12:27
I'm incorporating amendment 124 into my DAPs and I've not made it past Adelaide yet so I'm unsure of the rest of the capitol cities but check out the new note 4 on YPAD VOR RWY 05 "COLOUR: SEE SPEC NOTICES." (Their emphasis.)

As this is a black and white (well grayscale) document what do they mean? Do I have a new colour DAP coming? Sure I can go online and download a coloured DAP but why print that note on a non-coloured plate? Is this going to improve safety?

FRQ CB

tmpffisch
26th Aug 2010, 12:47
Remember that ICAO annex 4 standard is to have instrument approach plates with coloured contouring. Jeppesen currently does this in Australia for approach charts with terrain exceeding 4,000 ft above the aerodrome anywhere on the chart, or 2,000 ft above the aerodrome within 6 NM from the ARP.

ICAO Annex 4

11.7.2 Relief shall be shown in a manner best suited to the particular elevation characteristics of the area. In areas where relief exceeds 1 200 m (4 000 ft) above the aerodrome elevation within the coverage of the chart or 600 m (2 000 ft) within 11 km (6 NM) of the aerodrome reference point or when final approach or missed approach procedure gradient is steeper than optimal due to terrain, all relief exceeding 150 m (500 ft) above the aerodrome elevation shall be shown by smoothed contour lines, contour values and layer tints printed in brown. Appropriate spot elevations, including the highest elevation within each top contour line, shall also be shown printed in black.

Airservices began doing this at amendment 122, and will progressively phase it in. It does undoubtedly increase safety. I'd be surprised to see them actually print coloured charts for a quite a while, they're too cheap to do that...
I guess they figure that for those that really care, they'd be using Jepps to begin with :ok:

FRQ Charlie Bravo
26th Aug 2010, 13:40
Hmm. OK. Just the first time I'd heard of it and I was half-way through my post when I actually pulled up the pdf of the chart.

Ta,

FRQ CB

topdrop
27th Aug 2010, 12:34
Fair bit of colour on this one:
http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/publications/current/dap/BCSLZ02-124.pdf

Ex FSO GRIFFO
27th Aug 2010, 15:52
Nuthin' new here........

In dem far loongone good ole days, the A4 size plates had plenty of colour.....

And I reckon they were much easier to read.....

I'll bet quite a few Pruners remember them.....:ok:

Dick N. Cider
28th Aug 2010, 08:16
Pretty sure they pre-dated A4. Foolscap, Folio or US Letter perhaps?

DNC