PDA

View Full Version : PPL Gold Coast

alex79
26th Aug 2010, 04:49
Hi All,

I'm in the process of choosing a flying school to do my PPL (no intention to do CPL). I already did a fair bit of research and read most of the posts in this regard here, but I'm still a bit confused.

Firstly, in regards to the costs, is $20k realistic or is it too much (including books, landing fees, medical, etc).

I have a quote from "Air Gold Coast" that is in this vicinity. (C152 @ $270 Dual)

How many hours did you need? Did you do Simulator training?

Secondly, "Air Gold Coast" (GC Airport) is one of the schools I consider. Any experiences?!
Or should I rather consider one of the Archerfield's schools? (Sunland, FTA, Flight One or RQAC)

Appreciate any comments!

Ixixly
26th Aug 2010, 06:13
I did a bit of my training with AGC, since then they've changed hands but from what I've been told by people still there its pretty much the same instructors and as such I'd HIGHLY recommend them, they don't stuff you around and are on the whole a great bunch of people.

Archy has some to offer, Sunland I hear are pretty good, with Cirrus as well from what I've heard and Flight One are a relatively new company that seem to have a good rep at the moment. Stay away from FTA and RQAC they are generally less interested in PPLs and more into the CPLs these days and as such you may find yourself being prioritized lower than some of their other students.

Jabawocky
26th Aug 2010, 07:21
If you consider the C152 cost compared to anywhere else, plus the misc fees, plus an instructor and the overheads operating at the coast......prolly about right!:ooh:

alex79
10th Sep 2010, 01:56
Thanks Guys!

Will do some cash flow analysis now ;)

Cheers!

MCKES
10th Sep 2010, 11:26
One school only to consider, and that is Flight one. Excellent product, sure they might be more but there rates are inclusive of everything, and the quality is the best around.

Martin VanNostrum
12th Sep 2010, 03:12
I've had a bit to do with Air Gold Coast over the years. They have always seemed quite good with a decent bunch of instructors and aircraft. However they have been taken over by another company now and personnel come and go as instructors move on and up the ladder.
If you live on the coast consider the cost, and time, of driving to Archerfield compared to Coolangatta. Also try to do as much as possible on the C150/152 rather than the C172. It will be cheaper.