PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter Charter Rates

RyanJohnson
26th Aug 2010, 03:47
Hi,

I am doing some very preliminary estimates for a job in rural India - I want to know a very rough ball park figure for the hourly rate of a long-term hire of a 4, 6 and 8 seat helicopter.

Similarly, if you could shed some light on rough prices on purchasing a helicopter (Robin, Jetranger, for example) so that I can at least know which path to head towards.

I know there are a huge number of variables in all of this, but any examples would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: examples from all countries would help me out on this one...

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

SHortshaft
26th Aug 2010, 05:27
As I am sure you will soon know, if you haven’t found out already, there is rural India and then there is rural India.

However ball park for a 4 or 6 seat helicopter from a reputable operator will cost anywhere between AUD 1700 and AUD 2400 depending on the location, duration, number of flight hours per day, number of flight hours per month, type of work (passengers or external loads, etc) and time of the year, etc.

An 8 seat machine will probably be a twin so double those figure.

Ownership has its own set of problem so I would save that until at least the second year of operations when you should be able to better understand the hassles involved.

Want a more accurate proposal? PM me with more details including your direct contact co-ordinates.

SH

SuperF
26th Aug 2010, 08:24
shortshaft is prob on the money. difficulty is all the variables, may be easier to work out a monthly plus hrly, then you can work out what it costs, no matter what, plus extra for each hr you fly. if you look at the figures hes talking, you would want at least 60 hrs / month, so there is your min. depending on what you want to do, just charter is easier to get pilots, than ifr, or sling work, therefore cost of pilots can go up for the later.

prices for machines, roughly Jet Ranger US$400,000 5 seats, Long Ranger $700,000 - $1.5m 7 seats, 407 $1-2m 7 seats, EC120 $700,000 5 seats, AS350 $500,000-$2m 6-7 seats, EC130 $1.5-2.5m 7 seats. 8 seats BK117 or Bell 427, approx $3m.

prices are rough guide and go up the newer they get. good time to buy tho, heaps of gear for sale and there are some really good deals out there if you know where to look... Pm me, i can put you onto some guys currently operating in rural India.

hueyracer
26th Aug 2010, 10:27
As long as it does not HAVE to be a twin, i would always be heading for a single engine..
Why hassle with the second engine (and its problems of synchronization), when a single one will do?

I am not a friend of these modern "fancy" Eurocopter-models...
But i know that there are operators looking for Bell-Pilots for work in India...

(Unfortunately-until now, only some rumours....no appointment for an interview yet...)

ShyTorque
26th Aug 2010, 11:06
(and its problems of synchronization),

Please explain what is meant by that statement. What problems? :confused:

hueyracer
26th Aug 2010, 11:11
We have two twins standing around (again), which have problems with Torque-Split exceeding the allowable limit (and not only a little bit)...
You can imagine how much money the company is loosing now with both A/C on the ground..
Luckily, all the single engine helos are doing a good job...

I know that the majority of twin-helos are always doing fine...
But as long as you do not definitely need a twin (according to air law / restrictions / or for Offshore-Operations), i would always prefer a single engine helicopter-but that´s my own, personal opinion...

ShyTorque
26th Aug 2010, 20:32
Hueyracer, sounds like your engineers need some guidance, or your aircraft need some new engines. :)

SHortshaft
27th Aug 2010, 04:28
Huey Racer

You say ‘But as long as you do not definitely need a twin (according to air law / restrictions / or for Offshore-Operations),...’

ICAO Annex 6 Part III, Section II Chapter 3, para 3.1.2 says that “in conditions where the safe continuation of flight is not ensured in the event of a critical power unit failure, helicopter operations shall be conducted in a manner that gives appropriate consideration for achieving a safe forced landing.”

Now we all know that a safe forced landing is not the possible probably 75% of the time in probably 75% of India (the country in the original question) and the requirement is just not observed by most of the pilots with most of the operators.

But according to your criteria you would appear to really be in favour of using a multi-engine helicopter. Or would you like to change the criteria so that it just comes down to the cost again?

SuperF
27th Aug 2010, 08:00
hueyracer,

what about a 204 for 8 pax. comfortable, big doors, reliable, club seating, good boot, no weight limits (8 pax, pilots, baggage, full fuel, away you go).

GoodGrief
27th Aug 2010, 10:29
There are no Bell 204s in India and you cannot import aircraft that are older than 20 years.

A Bell 407 (basically the helicopter of choice in India) goes for about 78000 to 85000 Rupees plus tax per hour.
Add accomodation for one pilot and one technician.

Since you want to go rural you have to add the cost for positioning fuel barrels and pumps.Plan on two trucks (lorries?)
The fuel suppliers, Reliance or Indian Oil, like to see advance payments.

victor papa
27th Aug 2010, 10:44
Then make it a 350 and you wont need the technician except for the 100hr:D

GoodGrief
27th Aug 2010, 11:28
@victor papa

Indian pilots are different.
They only fly and don't get their hands dirty, meaning no pre flight, no post flight, no packing up for the night.
Flight plans have to be filed by someone in the office. Refuelling? No way.
Some of them don't even know where to fill in the engine oil.

So, a techi is pretty much mandatory.

sycamore
27th Aug 2010, 21:24
And does the techy do the `honours` if they go for a .... !