PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft sabotage at Tyabb

VH-XXX
24th Aug 2010, 23:25
Guys, be on the lookout for this kind of thing no matter where you operate from. It's quite sad that this can happen as individuals find they need to resort to these measures.

Please take note that we appear to have had an incident of deliberate aircraft interference or possibly sabotage.
An aircraft parked on the grass area, to the south of the clubhouse, was last weekend found to have metal shavings/filings present in and around the oil filler tube.
The engine has been dismantled and the metal appears to have been deliberately tipped into the engine through the oil filler.
Authorities have been notified and police are investigating ….* Fortunately this was discovered during a pre-flight check.

Critical Reynolds No
25th Aug 2010, 02:15
That's disgraceful.

Would that be grounds for attempted murder?

Biggles78
25th Aug 2010, 04:06
A big thumbs up to the pilot who took the trouble to do a proper preflight. :ok: I have seen many just do a little walk round, move ailerons and elevator and think it is all ok.

Even when I flew jumpers I did a preflight before the next load. One never knew what might have happened during the high speed descent and landing.

Skynews
25th Aug 2010, 06:07
There are some r'soles around, nothing like a good preflight.

I recall around 20 yes ago, the owner of a C210 got airborne only t o discover he had control problems. He landed safely and when trying to determine the source of the control problems found damage to the elevator.

The aircraft had been x hired to a charter company and the last pilot, a CPL in his 20's, landed short and hit a cone marker doing the damage. So as not to get in trouble he didn't say a word.

A year or so prior he took off with the undercarriage selected up, in a C210 again with the inevitable result. The federal cops paid myself and another person a visit advising that the pilot suspected one of us had selected the gear up.

He got caught out twice, and I think isnow employed by Jetstar.

Do a good preflight and be aware that not every one you meet is honorable, some are purely evil.

Sunfish
25th Aug 2010, 07:27
I am always a little suspicious of "attempted sabotage" stories. Fuel stealing? Yes. I'm wracking my brain trying to remember the details of one "case". I'll post when it comes to me.

Horatio Leafblower
25th Aug 2010, 07:37
There was a charter operator in the Bankrun business in the 1990's that suffered some Chieftain sabotage while parked overnight at Bankstown.

As I recall, there was some sort of acid or strong alkaline poured into the oil filler, which ate through the sump (long time ago now, don't shoot me :uhoh: )

The main problem for the coppers would have been too many people with a motive to cause the guy grief. :suspect:

ForkTailedDrKiller
25th Aug 2010, 07:47
I have a vague recollection of a fatal Tiger Moth crash in Toowoomba back in the 60/70s as a result of a "sugared" petrol tank.

Dr :8

ContactMeNow
25th Aug 2010, 08:14
The last crash out at Jandakot was labelled as a sabotage attempt on the business, owner even went on national TV to make this claim.

Jandakot plane crash not sabotage | Perth Now (http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/jandakot-plane-crash-not-sabotage/story-e6frg13u-1225868806505)

Another case many moons ago... Pilot did a very detailed pre-flight to find that his C210 had been filled with several litres of Jet-A1 the night before. Only found it as he drained the tanks and noticed the kero smell.

YPJT
25th Aug 2010, 08:19
Sunfish,
Not sure if you are thinking of this one - Must have been late 90s a Lancair overnighted on a flight between WA and eastern states somewhere in SA. The aircraft was refueled upon arrival and parked up overnight. Next morning pilots boarded and soon after takeoff experienced engine failure resulting in stall and impact with the ground.

Investigations found what appeared to be two circular marks on the ground lining up with the fuel drain positions and consistent with the size of 20 litre drums. :mad:

The sad thing was that two very experienced pilots died each perhaps believing that the other had done the fuel check as part of the daily.

I don't believe anyone was ever brought to justice for that.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
25th Aug 2010, 08:35
One of the pilots in the Lancair was a VERY experienced and senior, ex airline pilot / instructor.

A Gentleman as well.

And yes, I know the aircraft was refuelled the night before........but.....

The moral is, YOU as the PIC - ALWAYS do a thorough pre-flight.

Similarly, a Be35 pilot at KG claimed that someone was milking his fuel at one time.
Didn't happen to the 210's parked nearby - which would have been much easier to siphon. BIG enquiry.
Turned out to be his fuel bladder had perished and was leaking badly.....
No range in that one either.

Like the many VICTA pilots who couldn't get that silly little flexing dip stick down the hole - only to find the bladder was pulled away from the top and was preventing it. The gauge said OK so they went - only to find the gauge lied when the bladder fell away from the restraining nipples....
No range in that one either.

And so it goes......:ok::ok:

PA39
25th Aug 2010, 08:55
Both filled tanks syphoned dry overnight on my Mooney 231 at Caloundra......police didn't want to know, and 2 full buckets of water drained from my twinco (mains) at Kempsey. Had a physical disagreement with a car dealer the previous day.....no proof. :(

VH-XXX
25th Aug 2010, 08:56
If you were going to sabotage an aircraft and had half a conscience you'd just scratch the crap out of it or something obvious otherwise you're talking murder, not a good result for what might be some minor revenge.

CitationJet
25th Aug 2010, 09:02
Comanche at MB in the 70s had cut up nails dropped in the oil filler. I recollect it was discovered during preflight.

PA39
25th Aug 2010, 09:27
Jesus, Citation......and Bin Laden or terrorism wasn't even heard of then!! No wonder we've got bloody fences everywhere now!! :suspect:

fencehopper
25th Aug 2010, 09:39
recall a twin turbo prop in Cairns some time back that had a ten cent piece fed down the compressor intake and did some expensive damage then couple of days later the low life did the other side at half the cost (5c)
training organisation back in 90s at YBK had aircraft broken into and instruments radios taken to with a hammer.
amazing people in this world.

Skynews
25th Aug 2010, 10:25
When I was instructing, first to work on two occasions to discover first time a piper Cherokee next a 1x Aztec, burnt to the ground. Have photo's, might try and post them.

Soon after ga couple of weeks) a bloke turned up looking for a care takers position.

Police ended up charging him, I recall being in the witness seat, but not the outcome.

He wanted somewhere to park his caravan and a paid job, he got both for a short while.

MakeItHappenCaptain
25th Aug 2010, 10:42
Both filled tanks syphoned dry overnight on my Mooney 231 at Caloundra

Despite the claims that it will move if governor Bligh funds a new airport, (not bloody likely...nice way of placating the locals who want it moved:ok:), the council has installed security cameras at both ends of the apron.

FANTASTIC!

(Mind you it did look a bit sus the morning I arrived at 4am, discovered the previous pilot had overfilled the B55 for the number of pax I had to carry and got a real good look from the council guy doing his rounds at 5am (still dark) while I was siphoning the excess fuel into several 20L jerrys by torchlight!:hmm:)

Brian Abraham
26th Aug 2010, 01:21
result of a "sugared" petrol tank
Contrary to popular belief sugar does not dissolve in petrol, clog your filters and lines though.

muddergoose
26th Aug 2010, 02:34
How many hours left to run on the engine?

Desert Flower
26th Aug 2010, 03:09
Contrary to popular belief sugar does not dissolve in petrol, clog your filters and lines though.

I can certainly vouch for the fact that it doesn't dissolve in petrol. I carried out an experiment many years ago just to satisfy my own curiousity. Filled two jars, one with Avgas & the other with Super petrol. Added some sugar & shook the daylights out of the jars for several minutes. Didn't happen captain!
But yes, I think itwould definitely clog the fuel lines/filters.

DF.

A37575
26th Aug 2010, 14:03
I have a vague recollection of a fatal Tiger Moth crash in Toowoomba back in the 60/70s as a result of a "sugared" petrol tank.

Similar incident around same time (maybe earlier) to an Auster in the Armidale, NSW, area. The pilot who was a former Royal Australian Navy pilot was killed. His name was McNaughton. Really nice bloke. Rumour at the time was he upset someone at the pub and for revenge someone poured sugar into the Auster fuel tank. He was one of my students on No 24 Post War Pilots Course at No1 Basic Flying Training School, RAAF Base Uranquinty, in January 1956.

Clearedtoreenter
26th Aug 2010, 20:22
Did they ever find anyone responsible for that beaut Curtis 182 (with the art work lady on the fin) that got torched - parked at Mittagong wasn't it?

Deaf
27th Aug 2010, 00:09
Not sure if you are thinking of this one - Must have been late 90s a Lancair overnighted on a flight between WA and eastern states somewhere in SA. The aircraft was refueled upon arrival and parked up overnight. Next morning pilots boarded and soon after takeoff experienced engine failure resulting in stall and impact with the ground.

This is it

199901340 (http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/1999/aair/aair199901340.aspx)

There was a classic with a MU2? in WA many years ago. Fueled from sealed drums at a strip. Some drums had been drained, filled with water and the seal replaced. At least they were at a fair altitude when tanks were switched and things became very quiet.

VH-XXX
27th Aug 2010, 00:31
Unfortunately as much a you'd like to think that Lancair crash would result in a murder charge it would never stand as it was not pre-meditated. Manslaughter on the other would be most approptiate with maximum sentencing but even that would be hard to press on the offender if the pilot/s didn't check the fuel quantity.

Andy98
27th Aug 2010, 09:27
Tyabb is my local airport and I'm about to start my flight training at the Aero Club. Its scary to think someone would do something like that.:uhoh:

Andy

Air Tourer
27th Aug 2010, 10:56
A good lesson for doing a good pre-flight. Start even before you get to the a/c. Does it look ship shape? (Maybe the refuel truck backed into it)
Then the close look, for cracks in the prop. etc. etc. YOU do it, don't count on the instructor, except to show you how. A favourite trick of my staff was to leave the oil cap off, but carefully button down the cowl flap. :ugh:

kimwestt
28th Aug 2010, 06:51
Yep, you are correct, but there were 2 chieftains affected. There is still some of that stuff going on at BK, and there does appear to be a common denominator, as in perpetrator. Wires pulled off alternators, contaminated fuel, etc. Said suspect has a pathological hatred of security cameras, sort of gives himself away, doesn't it?

Tee Emm
28th Aug 2010, 14:26
A favourite trick of my staff was to leave the oil cap off, but carefully button down the cowl flap. :ugh:

Not a very wise thing to do. I hope check captains in the airlines don't do such tricks when line training new first officers..

dodo whirlygig
28th Aug 2010, 22:43
A favourite trick of my staff was to leave the oil cap off

Ahh, entrapment, not a wise training orchecking technique. And it usually has a habit of eventually biting you on the bum, too.

I would suggest that a training or check captain who does that is lacking somewhat in his skills in that capacity.

Unusual-Attitude
29th Aug 2010, 09:46
When I was in Riyadh KSA, a Citation belonging to the Bin-Laden family in Dahran was badly f**ked up with what im guessing would had to have been a heavy sledge hammer...all the windows stoved in, pitot tubes smashed off and various other nasty things...nearly new aircraft! Not very subtle, but certainly got the point across I guess.

I had the pix somewhere, it'd make you cry!:{

Arnold E
29th Aug 2010, 09:48
a Citation belonging to the Bin-Laden family
Wouldn't make me cry.

LeadSled
29th Aug 2010, 09:59
Arnold E,

Not a very smart thing to say, Osama has long since been cast out of the family.

The family runs one of the biggest construction enterprises in the middle east, and has considerable aviation businesses, including a large non-scheduled carrier in the US.

Via US holding companies, the family has very extensive aviation interests ---- extending to Australia. The US Carlyle Corporation does come to mind.

Tootle pip!!

Arnold E
29th Aug 2010, 10:21
Osama has long since been cast out of the family.Really?, Then it isn't a problem then is it?

Air Tourer
29th Aug 2010, 10:40
Tee Emm, dodo. Check Captains, technique??

My "staff" was the boy that tops up my oil. The "trick" was his mistake.
Mine was to not check the blighter. My trick was a 180 to land again as the oil came up the windscreen. My post was to indicate how thorough a pre-flight should be. Ie. trust no one.
Then there was the airliner tried to fly with some tape over the static vents. Such a little thing.

Unusual-Attitude
29th Aug 2010, 10:46
Bang on the money Lead, the old man was an absolute gent...

Dreamflyer1000
29th Aug 2010, 10:51
And for anybody who is going to park up in Greymouth (NZ) overnight at any stage...DO NOT park down by the fence line. Had 80L flogged from my 172 overnight. Boy racers apparently. Was odd. I KNEW I put 120L in only 30min flying time away, and yet, left tank, BONE dry, right tank 15L Unfortunately, no fuel at the drome for 3 days! Was not a happy camper...:mad: