PDA

View Full Version : Initial Presentation

drivez
24th Aug 2010, 15:23
I've read through the OASC candidates and wannabes thread and nothing really answers my question. I also did a search through the archives, but nothing really exactly answered my questions.

I have my initial officer presentation with the Royal Navy tomorow, I was wondering what is the dress code? I know I need to be smart, but was wondering whether a suitable attire would be suit, or shirt and trousers?

Also is there anything I need to take with me? Is the presentation designed for the potential applicant to take notes? Or is the presentation more of a general information video?

Thanks in advance.
(Mods if I have put this in the wrong thread sorry!)

minigundiplomat
24th Aug 2010, 15:28
Leather chaps and a string vest should cut it.....

On the other hand, if this isn't a fishing trip, then a suit. I can't believe your going to an intial presentation and don't have the wherewithall to decide what to where.

Hence the flippant reply.

Pontius Navigator
24th Aug 2010, 15:31
drivez, I can't answer your specific question - RN - but from your question I presume this is the presentation at the AFCO.

As the presentation is tomorrow and you have asked the question so late I would guess you have suit. If you wish to create an impression then a smart impression is rather better than an overly casual one.

Someone may give a better answer soon.

drivez
24th Aug 2010, 16:00
Thanks alot Pontius Navigator, sorry about the late question. I was only given the date of my presentation today, due to a cancellation the phonecall before my enquiry. Fortunatly I do have a suit. Which will be making an appearance tomorow.

NutLoose
24th Aug 2010, 16:06
Then allow me to wish you good luck....... :ok:

drivez
24th Aug 2010, 16:20
Thanks alot NutLoose

Tourist
24th Aug 2010, 17:47
Hate to say it, but they are wrong.
RN does not wear suits, they are cheap and tacky like a traveling salesman.
What you want is dogrobbers, then you already look like a Dartmouth cadet.
Chinos and a blue blazer with a good shirt and tie and good shoes

The Old Fat One
24th Aug 2010, 19:18
Tourist is right...

Check out the link and you will have a good idea what they are looking for

YouTube - In the Navy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InBXu-iY7cw)

airborne_artist
24th Aug 2010, 19:36
My father went to the AIB in 1946. He was asked the number of the taxi (AIB in then in Whitehall, all London cabs had/have their number displayed in the passenger compartment) he'd taken to the interview.

He'd taken a taxi, but had not clocked the number. "I caught an early train so as not to be late, but as it came in on time I walked here, Sir."

The board were clearly impressed with his planning and navigational skills, so he got in.

About fifteen years later my mother wanted to be taken up to London before Christmas to get presents. A brother officer had recently asked his Captain for an afternoon off for a shopping trip, which was followed by much harrumphing and a refusal from said WW2 veteran.

My father re-played the taxi card - "Sir, could I take the afternoon off on Thursday? I'd like to go to London to see my stockbroker." "Certainly Lt Bloggs. Carry on." :E

Don't wear a shiny suit - dog robbers are the rig of the day.

MATELO
24th Aug 2010, 23:20
steaming bats and number 8's should be fine.

Pontius Navigator
25th Aug 2010, 07:23
A_A, oh, so it was YOUR father who did that. I am sorry he passed away recently for I recall his obituary in the Telegraph a few years back.