PDA

View Full Version : Smoke Systems

VH-XXX
24th Aug 2010, 04:01
Has anyone got the low-down on smoke systems on aircraft and their legality?

For the purposes of the discussion please ignore the actual fitting of the device and or certification aspects.

I'm thinking more of regulatory and environmental / pollution legality aspects.

185skywagon
24th Aug 2010, 04:21
dunno mate, but my 185 has a system (not fitted at present) because it used to be a spray machine.
there is an oil specifically for use as smoke.
Have thought about hooking it all up again.

maverick22
24th Aug 2010, 05:00
Thinking of doing a display in the new bird :E

VH-XXX
24th Aug 2010, 05:06
There will be no displays in my non-aerobatic bird thanks Mav. It's not really the most glamorous / performance machine for such activities.

The best oil to use is -

All Seasons White Pesticide Oil - Manufactured by Kendon Chemicals. (also known in other brands as Summer and or Winter Oil)

Around 6 years ago it was $80 per 20 litre drum.

It's very safe to use. It's a highly refined petroleum and it used to (apparently) stick the feet of the insects to the plants - thus they die. It's also used to better spread the insecticide or something like that, I'm not a chemist.

All Seasons White Oil Pesticide (http://www.kendon.com.au/Catalogue/aswop.htm)

GA_FATMAN
24th Aug 2010, 05:06
By law any Ag aircraft conducting aerial application for the purpose of spraying MUST have a smoker system on board to check the current wind conditions.
This allows the pilot to see current drift condition to better aid in on target application of the chemical. Much better letting some smoke out and knowing it is safe to spray as wind is blowing away from the road.
The smoke is a lot safer to let out then the chemical for the pollution aspect of the job.

Not sure about aerobatic aircraft at air shows. They have the same system set up.

Horatio Leafblower
24th Aug 2010, 07:52
Some blokes in my neighbourhood used to use banana oil in the Yak - dear as poison I believe :uhoh:

CHAIRMAN
24th Aug 2010, 10:56
Couple of issues ago in the EAA mag, guy reckoned the ducks guts was filtered second hand auto trans fluid - cheap as chips and made great smoke!

VH-XXX
24th Aug 2010, 11:10
I used to use Canola oil, problem being that the smell is like a fish and chip shop and you get really hungry when you use it. Went with the pesticide oil in the end.