PDA

View Full Version : Airlines that fly pet dogs Oz to Asia

Ejector
24th Aug 2010, 02:05
I want to go live in Asia and take my dog. I know it is a one way trip for my dog, but it will also be for me. I have rung many airlines, and no luck, one pet carry company wanted several thousand dollars, any tips on which companies still fly mutts?

Jabawocky
24th Aug 2010, 02:59
I did notice in the USA folk with small dogs and cats going to the gates with pax....well I assume they were unless diverted to the hold at the aircraft door. But they went through security...and that was fun to watch:).

Not sure that will help you here though.

Good luck!

KABOY
24th Aug 2010, 03:14
All Creatures Air Road animal transport World Wide (http://www.allcreaturesairroad.com.au)

These guys might be able to help you, takes the hassle out of which airline.

The Green Goblin
24th Aug 2010, 03:15
If your dog is lost in transit don't go ordering any beef and black bean at the aiport waiting to claim :{

tail wheel
24th Aug 2010, 06:06
My daughter sent two small dogs from the USA to Australia. Think it cost her a couple of grand US via the pet freight companies. If your mutt is going to Asia make sure you get the dog rabies innoculation before it leaves Australia.

Buster Hyman
24th Aug 2010, 06:24
Starting a restaurant eh? :E:ouch::suspect:

Worrals in the wilds
24th Aug 2010, 08:12
Haven't used them myself, but I've heard these guys are good. I often see them here tooling around with a van full of mutts.
Dogtainers - Pet Transport & Animal Transport | Dog & Cat Transport | Domestic & International | Pet Moving & Pet Relocation | Australia, Sydney, Adelaide, Darwin (http://www.dogtainers.com.au/)

I don't think it's cheap, no matter who you use.

Ejector
24th Aug 2010, 10:19
Buster Hyman, no restaurant.
I prefer to eat at home and cook my self.
I love Sweet and Sour Poodle,
Kitty Flied Lice
and Streamed Chihuahua :ok:

Thanks for the serous replies.
I know it is expensive to ship unaccompanied, it is like $2500 on United Airlines USA to Bangkok but only about $450 on Eva, if you are on the flight as some kind of ad on live animal luggage.

Buster Hyman
24th Aug 2010, 10:20
The Dogtainers guys are near me. Actually know the owners, but I don't know their rates and I've never used them tbh. Nice enough people though...

Omega471
24th Aug 2010, 10:25
The easiest way is to use one of the above companies.

As the previous post mentioned, it is not cheap. The weight of your dog will have the biggest effect on cost. Airlines charge out at 175% of the applicable rate to the destination ex the South West Pacific Region.

Eg. Mel-Sin for general cargo might be $10.00/kg, so you'd be paying $17.50/kg for your dog.

Allow plenty of time for the preparation.
The pet moving company will organise all of the permits (export, CITES, import / transit as reqruied) They will cut your airwaybill and manage the booking process through the airlines. Before any animal can be shipped, the transit and destination must confirm that they are okay to accept the animal. Depending on the airline, the booking process can take upto a week and some charge upto $120.00 for the booking alone.

If you wanted to do it yourself, it's not that hard, contact your local International Cargo Termianl Operator for assistance.
QF Freight, Australian air Express - International Services, Menzies Aviation or Toll/Dnata.

One other thing to keep in mind is the variations in cage requirements for International flights. If you already have a cage, it may not be suitable.

Cheers
Omega

Buster Hyman
24th Aug 2010, 13:12
Oh, and make sure they load the dog in a hold with heating...I almost froze a pallet of Greyhounds once! :oh:

Charlie Foxtrot India
24th Aug 2010, 15:24
These people are nice and I trust them to ship my puppies ...they don't seem to mind me bawling when they come and pick them up! :{ :{

Pet Transport Australia, Pet Travel Service, Australian Animal Transport, International & Domestic Pet Travel, Dog Transport, Cat Transport, Australian Pet Quarantine, Pet Boarding, Pet Crates, Japanese Shiba Inus, Dog Breeders - Sherae Kennels Perth (http://www.sherae.com.au/)

CafeClub
24th Aug 2010, 20:34
Using one of the reputable companies is the best way forward the first time you do it. Like most things it's not overly complicated, but if you don't know the steps, it's easy to skip that *one* bit of paper that's needed.

Bear in mind it's not just the paperwork / effort getting them out of Oz, and the various airline regs, but the stuff needed to get them into whichever country you are heading to. If you have a connect, make sure the airline allows access (on tarmac usually) so you can get water to them. I've yet to find an "automatic feeder" that works.

Different airlines have different policies but I do believe that in Oz it is governed by customs rules. And given the bureaucracy of this place probably means you need them at the airport a day before!

We once flew three dogs (German Sheps) AND a cat from SIN to DXB... and checked them in as excess baggage!! But that was SQ and they want to help. Basically the airline didn't care as long as ground handling in DXB didn't care. Simply arrived at check-in with the dogs (and cat) in their IATA approved transport containers and loaded them onto the scales. (Then a guy with a trolley took 'em off our hands - no they did NOT go down the chute!). Getting them off the carousel in DXB was a bit of a bitch however!

Of course when we flew to SYD from DXB (same animals) it was a whole different problem as SYD wouldn't accept them as excess - we HAD to check them in as cargo. No real difference except they spend a bunch more time at the airport before the flight, and you spend a bunch more time trying to find them at the receiving end

Of note was that my wife (flying 'J' on the DXB SYD route) could hear the pups barking for the first few hours and the last few hours of the flight - she thinks the hold was under First Class... so that would have been *really* loud in the leather seats . :D

Worrals in the wilds
24th Aug 2010, 21:51
Oh, and make sure they load the dog in a hold with heating...I almost froze a pallet of Greyhounds once! :oh:

:eek::eek::eek:
Also, if your dog is a renowned escape artist discuss muzzles etc with the handling agent. It's amazing how quickly some dogs can bite their way out of a cage, and if they get loose in the hold they can go nuts and hurt themselves. If they get loose on the apron there's not a lot of options for them :sad:.