PDA

View Full Version : CASA MB office to move to City!!

spirax
24th Aug 2010, 02:03
Reports to hand say that CASA is to close it's Moorabbin office and it is to be relocated to Collins Street Melbourne city! Also combining the airline office at the same location.

My sources say that neither the staff, or industry support this move and of course how easy will it be to keep in touch with the regulator then? How easy is the parking for a start??

I believe all the CASA office's should be located at airports, but seems those in power seem to believe otherwise. Shows how out of touch they might be!!

And at what cost?

:ugh::ugh::ugh:

VH-XXX
24th Aug 2010, 02:08
That's a fairly expensive building that they have already at Moorabbin. I wonder if they built it or MAC did?

Ultimately the physical location is a small cost in the scheme of things.

As for staying in touch with the industry; remember that CASA don't just look after Moorabbin, there are a host of other airports that need to be looked after. Being in the CBD could even cut down on overall work related travel time.

185skywagon
24th Aug 2010, 02:08
You can't send a letter or any correspondence direct to any of their regional offices now, either.
It must be sent to Canberra HQ and be checked for explosives and Anthrax type thingies. Once cleared, it is put into a mailbag and sent to the intended recipient.
:ugh::ugh::ugh:

Old Akro
24th Aug 2010, 02:18
Why do they need to be at Moorabbin anyway? They are so detached from aviation it won't make any difference. The move from Moorabbin to the city is probably just a stopping off point on the way to Canberra anyway. Now there will be 2 vacant edifices to CASA at Moorabbin instead of one.

Lodown
24th Aug 2010, 02:57
Gotta go where the customers are and CASA doesn't get any revenue from GA. Heck, with the active dispersement of any aviation experience, another couple of years and the staff at the Moorabbin office would feel out of place at an airport anyway. Move to Collins St and just forward the edicts from HQ. I'm just stunned that the organisation continues to waste money on staff and regional offices. They could do it all with just the CEO, the PR department and the legal team. Oh, and one person in HR to write the paycheques and year-end bonuses.

tail wheel
24th Aug 2010, 06:15
It must be sent to Canberra HQ and be checked for explosives and Anthrax type thingies.

They need to check their mail test equipment. I think the idiot pills are still getting through...... :}

VH-XXX
24th Aug 2010, 06:26
I think the idiot pills are still getting through...... http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/badteeth.gif

Someone is in the zone today :oh:

gobbledock
24th Aug 2010, 11:49
Question is whether it will take them 22 years to move ???

Sunfish
24th Aug 2010, 16:54
Years ago, I was a minor state public servant of a sort (well on contract anyway). I attended a function which involved our Commonwealth brethren and was talking to our State representative for a particular Commonwealth Department...

Since we were both reasonably lubricated at the time, i asked him how he found working in Melbourne as opposed to Canberra. What I got was a gush about how he hated not being in Canberra because in his words "that was where the action was", and his career prospects were not very bright if he stayed in a State office that didn't give him exposure to the Minister.

Now this jokers job was "to deliver services to industry", but it was quite clear who he saw the real "client" or "customer" (as in "customer focused service delivery") to be - the Minister, and as far as he was concerned the industry his department was supposed to be serving were just a nuisance and an impediment to his career progression.

I wonder if Collins Street is seen as "closer to the Minister?" I guess it's closer to YMEN and YMML and strategically central, but parking is going to be a huge expense. The coffee is better and more expensive and the range of lunchtime food and entertainment is better.

I can also understand the frustration of someone who does not live and breath GA aviation from being stuck in a berg like YMMB. It must feel like the back end of the universe.

....But why can't they move into the old CAA building at Tulla? That was empty for years.

VH-XXX
7th Sep 2010, 02:53
Well the deed is done. CASA moved out of Moorabbin last Wednesday and are just tidying up what's left, you know, shredding important stuff etc etc.

7th Sep 2010, 03:54
Once cleared, it is put into a mailbag and sent to the intended recipient.

One hopes:ugh:

Better raid the skips. I got a truckload of stuff when another CASA office closed.

Back in the 60s DCA had an office in the city. Did my morse code test there.

ozaggie
8th Sep 2010, 11:44
Since they have no skill at either operating, or administering aircraft, and, it would seem, no interest in the above, Why would you have the pricks at the airport? Chuck 'em down the city with the rest of the bottom-feeders, I reckon.

Charlie Foxtrot India
8th Sep 2010, 13:08
CASA closed thier Jandakot office many years ago to get away from annoying GA and look after the flavour of the month for whoever was the boss at the time, fare paying passengers.

That was why it was so difficult to swallow having a CASA boss this year deciding what was best for Jandakot when there had been no CASA presence whatsoever for about a decade.

What it really means is that we have to pay for their, or our, travelling time from Perth airport on top of everything else at audit/flight test time.

So from a time where you could nip up the hill and have a PPL processed within an hour or two we went to everything being done in Perth, so it took a week or two, then to Canberra where it takes a month or two...if you're lucky. I rember getting my AOC within about a week of submitting the final paperwork and a two minute walk to the Jandakot office to pick it up. :cool: But I suppose it is all sooo much more efficient now we really should be grateful :ugh:

Teal
8th Sep 2010, 13:29
Back in the 60s DCA had an office in the city. Did my morse code test there.They actually occupied about a dozen buildings in and around the Melbourne CBD in the 70s and 80s when Melbourne was the "Central Office" of DCA/DOT/CAA. ATC/FS training was done in the city too. 188 Queen Street was "Aviation House" (14 floors) but little 35 Elizabeth Street (5 floors) was the pick of the lot with a pub in the basement (Connells Tavern if my hazy memory serves....). Not sure if it's still there. Then everything got moved to Canberra and basically what was left was just Vic/Tas Regional techs/admin. I know some Moorabbin staff who'll be happy to work back in the CBD again. Just a short commute from Essendon.

Mr. Hat
8th Sep 2010, 13:45
You guys are missing the point. There is way much more choice in coffee in Collins street:p.

d_concord
8th Sep 2010, 21:44
Why cant they move into the Old CASA building at Tullamarine?

Skytraders are there! Too late.

Di_Vosh
8th Sep 2010, 22:03
There is way much more choice in coffee in Collins street.

The view is much better in Collins st, also :E

triadic
9th Sep 2010, 00:43
They actually occupied about a dozen buildings in and around the Melbourne CBD in the 70s and 80s when Melbourne was the "Central Office" of DCA/DOT/CAA.

You forgot Henty House at 501 Little Collins St which was DCA HQ for many years until they expanded into Aviation House in Queen St. Once the move started elsewhere the ATC and FS schools were on the upper floors of Henty.

Outtahere
9th Sep 2010, 09:31
At the risk of ending the reminiscing, Casa Air Transport Ops (already in the Cbd due to airline offices location) have relocated to Collins st. Ga ops are merely occupying the remaining office space in Collins st. No great conspiracy.

AerospaceTechnology
10th Sep 2010, 01:57
Well CASA is govt, so we can't always expect them to be reasonable.

It's a double shame considering Moorabin is better than Brisbane. Unfortunately BAC is an organized crime.