PDA

View Full Version : Routes to becoming a pilot

Crask93
23rd Aug 2010, 13:08
Hi I often read this forum about pilot training etc and required some advice really, im new to posting so here goes.

Im 17, half way through completing my A-levels (maths, physics, Ict and business), going reasonably well C+. At our school were beginning our university applications and after looking around ive found many options but have no idea which is best.

My first option is to complete a degree in Aerospace Technology for example at Sheffield, Coventry etc, then begin training to be a pilot, be it integrated or modular depending on the current situation. It seems to me that doing it this way would cost alot more than the other options, with student loan, fees, then training which would again be another loan or funded by a possible job. Also ive seen the current job market for pilots is very tough and this way i would be 'going solo' essentially, leaving myself in a precarious position with a great big loan.

Second option, complete a degree in which pilot training is incorporated such as the course at the University of Buckinghamshire and Cabair. This option seems cheaper than the above however I seem to be unable to find financing information for this such course. I could fund the degree part but the training, does this have a similar loan type to pilot training at Jerez? Also, Cabair seems to be a good school, alot of positivity seems to surround Cabair on this forum, I assume the chances of landing a job would be easier?

Third option is to basically go straight into a pilot training scheme without a degree. I understand a degree is not necessary to being a pilot but ive read so many times it 'increases your chances', especially in America. If anyone believes training in America would be a good idea also, that is available to me, I have family living over there in Florida.

Also, any other options anyone could recommend would be greatly appreciated. I seem to be a confused young lad with high ambitions so please could someone shed some light on my dream.

Thanks in advance,
Lewis

BoeingDreamer
23rd Aug 2010, 13:21
First, use the search button and you will find plenty of similar questions and advice.

Degree is good. Easier to get a job after Cabair, hmm.... depends how much more money you want to spend!

Degree + modular training would be the "cheapest" option. And just as difficult to get a job.

Try getting your PPL first, and see if you like flying + your class 1 medical, before you go blowing £40.000 - £80.000 on flight training!

Loans = security against property, no security = no loans.

Good luck

Aerouk
23rd Aug 2010, 13:54
If you want to get a job in USA i.e. FAA Flight training and going over there to work and live for your career then you'll need a degree over in Europe you don't.

You should aim to get yourself a basic, good job and then put money towards the flight training. Nothing wrong with borrowing money for the flight training but you just need to make sure you borrow what you can afford, for most people £50K+ is far too much.

University is good fun, but it's also expensive so if you want to go make sure you really want to go and do a course you're interested in because the real difficulty with Uni is the motivation not the course.

BoeingDreamer
23rd Aug 2010, 14:34
Just quick remark, if you hope to work in the USA, this will only happen if your family in the US are your mother or your father, otherwise forget about ways to work in the US, unless you of course get married there.

Doing FAA and JAA, is not the most economical way of doing it, but you will find most telling you do invest in your future with some sort of degree, because flying jobs are not easy to get now, but this changes all the time, and you have have plenty of time to come into the positive cycle of things.

UAV689
23rd Aug 2010, 17:27
go to Uni, get a back up plan, +have fun there. Job market is awful, maybe for a while yet. How would you feel spending 80k, having to make loan repayments of 1100 quid a month and not have a job, and not be able to get a half decent one without a degree?

While your at uni join the univeristy air squadron, the best flying you will do, fantastic training and all the hours you do count towards your PPL, oh did I mention you get all that for free and actually get paid for it. Fantastic.

While your at uni, join the gliding club! great cheap flying, you will learn loads.

Oh and whilst your not flying, have some fun with the uni girls :ok:

Dont fall for one of these airline management courses, load of old rubbarb if you ask me. Your basically shooting yourself in the foot twice, when the airline world hits recession and you cant get a pilot job you wont be able to fall back on your degree as they wont be hiring anyone! So do a degree outside of aviation is the safest bet.

Dont discount the money to be made by having a trade. Most of my wealthiest mates have trades, work for themself, and therefore would be easy to train when you want and have the money. My brother just built an extension and walked away with 10k. That would be a CPL thank you very much, go and build another one and there is your IR paid for.

Bro
23rd Aug 2010, 18:45
If you are looking at an aviation related degree I would suggest that you look at Kingston University who offer a good three year degree with aviation studies forming only part of that.

Regarding the suggestion that you go to university and join the UAS, I would point out that there is fierce competition for places an a UAS. The last time I was involved in UAS recruiting we had some 200 applications for 10 places, otherwise a very good idea.

The bottom line is that to get the licences costs a lot of money, and then you have to find a job.

Good luck

student88
23rd Aug 2010, 20:59
In reality a degree in aviation studies is about as much use as a chocolate tea pot. If you're going to university study something totally unrelated to aviation.

Poeli
23rd Aug 2010, 21:17
I also made this mistake.. I go to my last year in aviation engineering. Maybe I should have chosen something else...
My advice: get a degree and work!