PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Tecnam aircraft.

A37575
22nd Aug 2010, 13:55
Request advice on the following:
Flight Manual performance lift off and landing threshold speed.

Also here is a problem recently encountered with the Tecnam. A noise has come through my Bose headset which sounds like a radar sweep. The beep is a bit like a reversing garbage truck. I have had the maintenance people check the engine for suppressors, and have also contacted the radio technician, who seems to think it is a mobile phone tower which is off frequency.

Any ideas?

Hasherucf
22nd Aug 2010, 14:20
If you have been away from your local phone tower and problem still exists I suggest you could elimate that. After that start turning equipment off in a process of elimination. If you have an electric turn coordinator try pulling the circuit breaker before turning avionics on. Also try other headsets. Thats a start.

VH-XXX
22nd Aug 2010, 21:52
Could be a number if things. Strobe lights fitted in the aircraft, fuel pump, electrical motor running eg, flaps perhaps, even a landing light can upset things.....

I used to have a TruTrak graphical turn coordinator, that caused quite a bit of interference and so did my Garmin 296 when using he large external aerial.

Wally Mk2
22nd Aug 2010, 23:58
I had this same sound ( a sweeping beeping sound) come thru a normal home radio for a while & then it stopped. Found out latter than the Radar on the Mt close by was being fiddled with. Sometimes also a radio that is slightly off tune will pick up such noises so could be that yr radio maybe 'drifting' slightly off freq & you don't even know it, just a thought. Once a radio is off tune for any reason it's then very susceptible to interference. Strobe lights can cause this also as has been said due a breakdown in the shielding on the wiring.

Wmk2

superdimona
23rd Aug 2010, 02:04
Perhaps a silly question, but how would a landing light generate any electrical noise?

VH-XXX
23rd Aug 2010, 03:01
I've found in a number of aircraft if you listen carefully, turning on practically any aircraft grounded electrical device can make noises through the headsets.

If the landing light has a flash box it is far more likely. Otherwise, if it's going to make a noise, it's more likely to be a light constant whine.

As for why..... I have no idea on a technical level.

I'm getting a frustrating issue at the moment in my aircraft. When listening on 120.00 area frequency, I get a whining sound that's strong enough to open the squelch, but only on that frequency specifically. At first I thought it was an open mic in my area but now realise that's not the case. It happens on two different radios (including the GNS430) that operate on seperate aerials. The joys of aircraft ownership.

MakeItHappenCaptain
24th Aug 2010, 09:58
Which type? There's more than one model.

Certification guidelines:
TOSS = 1.2 Vs1

Vat = 1.3 Vso

Be VERY careful using the manual short field speeds. Eg from memory the P92 specs about 5 knots faster than its stall speed from memory. Not good.

Homesick-Angel
24th Aug 2010, 13:19
Be VERY careful using the manual short field speeds. Eg from memory the P92 specs about 5 knots faster than its stall speed from memory. Not good.Not good? very good actually..

Having flown more than a few hours in the p92, I would look at the manual.
Due to the light weight and large wing surface area , the speeds for S/F and normal T/O dont change all that much as per the POH.

For anyone interested. A Tecnam is a European factory built high performance aircraft (not just a rag with some sticks attached) that has been put through a huge amount of testing as per any other aircraft and the speeds in the POH are not to be ignored.

Note: most Tecnams in Aus Have a 100HP instead of the 80HP quoted here.

Specifications P92 (Classic)

DIMENSIONS
P92 ECHO 80 Hp
Wing Span
30 ft 6 in
Length Overall
20 ft 8 in
Height Overall
8 ft 2 in
Width Cabin
3 ft 7 in
Wing Area
142 sq ft
Transverse Dihedral
1.5º
Tailplane Span
9 ft 6 in
Wheeltrack
5 ft 10 in
Wheel Tyres
5.00 - 5
ENGINE & PROPELLER
P92 ECHO 80
Power max
81 Hp (59.6kW) @ 5800 rpm
Reduction
2.273:1
Propeller
Bipala GT - 166 / 146
Fuel
Unleaded / AvGas
Tanks
70 lt (2x35) - 90 lt Optional
WEIGHT

P92 ECHO 80
Designed MTOW

550 kg
Max take-off weight RA Aus UL

544 kg
Basic Empty Weight (standard)

281 kg
Load Ultimate Factor

+6 -3
PERFORMANCE
P92 ECHO 80
Max speed s/l
118 kts
Crusing Speed 75% 5250rpm
100 kts
VNE
140 kts
Rate of Climb
1080 ft/min
Stalling Speed (with flap)
33 kts
Service Ceiling
13000 ft
Max Range (without reserve) 65%
400 nm
Take-off to 15m (50 ft)
200 m
Take-off Run
110 m
Landing Run
100 m

A37575
24th Aug 2010, 14:09
Thanks everyone for going to the trouble to reply. Will pass the info to the owner.
A37etc

MakeItHappenCaptain
25th Aug 2010, 11:34
Homesick.....

Mate I could land any aircraft at it's stall speed or even a few knots below (Vso is marked at max wt, you usually land at less than this weight) but it would be reckless to do so..
Is it going to grab your attention, however, if a small drop in wind speed puts you under the stalling speed while within, say, 100' of the ground?

Again, not good.

I would suspend the flying priveledges of any student I found trying to land like this. I have also flown more than a few hours in this aircraft as well as several thousand in plenty other types and I felt extremely uncomfortable, not to mention brave, trying to conduct a landing exactly as the manual described. Another RA instructor with over 1000hrs on this type agreed.

When you can land the bloody thing in less than 150m under normal conditions, you aren't going to find many situations when you have to do it in less.

VH-XXX
25th Aug 2010, 12:11
Those figures quoted are irrelevant and should not be used unless the weight and conditions are quoted. Some manufacturers quote MTOW and some quote single pilot with specific fuel.

In a 2 seat aircraft a difference of one pax can be significant.

Care must be taken with some of these light types as they sometimes have internally vented static ports. CT2K and Sabre for starters.