PDA

View Full Version : A graphical flight search engine

PAXboy
22nd Aug 2010, 11:41
I stumbled across this flight search / comparison engine by chance. It displays all routings on a time line INCLUDING layovers! Thus far, I have only found out one (rather obscure, once a week) route that it does not know. It's US based but does Europe.

Al those times that folks (we) ask about timings and stops, this could be the answer. I am singularly impressed, so do mention any flaws that you find. Whilst they do, naturally, link out to a booking site, it appears to be even handed in it's data and you can sort by convenience!
Hipmunk: Better Flight Search (http://www.hipmunk.com/)

PaperTiger
22nd Aug 2010, 13:21
Sorry, Hipmunk doesn't work in your browser. :confused:

IE7

fincastle84
22nd Aug 2010, 14:37
Thanks PAXboy, it's brilliant. I just ran LHR-NBO & it's amazing the myriad of routes, timings & prices that it instantly displayed.

raffele
22nd Aug 2010, 15:09
Quote:
Sorry, Hipmunk doesn't work in your browser.

IE7

Unfortunately Internet Explorer is a terrible browser - for some reason Microsoft think it's ok not to conform to internationally agreed standards. Get Firefox - much better and free!

PAXboy
22nd Aug 2010, 17:51
Sorry to hear that PT. I use Firefox and it's fine. Just tried with I.E. 8 and that was fine too.

Glad you liked it fin84, I have to say that it's a long time since a web site made me go WOW! I found it utterly fascinating, particularly as I'm planning an RTW for next year.

PaperTiger
23rd Aug 2010, 00:14
They answered my e-mail and indeed, IE7 is not supported.

What particular feature is a show-stopper I wonder ?

PAXboy
23rd Aug 2010, 01:19
Upgrading to IE 8 is not difficult and has been around for (I think) about a year now. With IE loaded, select 'Tools' from the main menu. Then Windows Update and follow instructions. If you have not updated your system for a while, there may be a fair number to come down the line. They will include security updates and also to the main operating system that you are using.

TightSlot
27th Aug 2010, 16:43
Review HERE (http://crankyflier.com/2010/08/27/travel-tools-i-might-love-hipmunk/)

eastern wiseguy
27th Aug 2010, 20:16
Fabulous bit of kit.....good call:ok:

scr1
27th Aug 2010, 22:31
not all that good

to go from inv to syy on a weekday

it wants me to fly inv-lgw-gla-syy

there are 3 flights a day from inv to syy

be6951 leaving at 0750
be6955 leaving at 1400
be6957 leaving at 1810

all operated by loganair

also does not appear to have ezy flights

PAXboy
28th Aug 2010, 16:51
Thanks for the link TS. For scr1, firstly, it is an American based site and, second, they have only been going for a few weeks so I'm guessing they have some tweaking of their inputs. Currently, I'm using to get a 'feel' for sectors that I am going to assemble into an RTW. In that, I noticed that one sector I have in mind, from Air NZ no less, is not listed. But I think it a good addition and shall watch it develop.

Mark in CA
31st Aug 2010, 02:34
Nice idea, but still has a long way to go. When I used it to see flights from SFO to BUD, it insists I route through JFK. Bad, bad, bad.