PDA

View Full Version : CPL Currency

geordiejet
22nd Aug 2010, 09:20
Hi. Can anyone help me out here. Can't get LASORS on my phone as it's a .pdf so I am wondering if someone can help me.

Basically, what are the requirements to keep the JAR CPL current. I know for the PPL it is 12 hours in 2 years of which the 12 must be in the second year.

Basically, I've barely flown over the last year and I am wondering if my licence is still valid. I got the licence in July 2008, flew quite a bit soon afte geting the licence and then not a lot since then.

Can anyone tell me if I need to fly the 12 hours AND get checked by an examiner or is the requirement just to satisfy an examiner and getting signed off? I'd be grateful if anyone could help me out here.

Obs cop
22nd Aug 2010, 10:43
GJ,

I think you may have mixed up two seperate things here.

I haven't got lasors in front of me for the exact wording, but here goes.

The JAR PPL and CPL are both valid for 5 years, but obviously to use the priviledges you must hold a valid appropriate class of medical and a valid type or class rating for the aircraft to be flown. The licences do not have currency or revalidation criteria that I am aware of.

There are also seperate criteria for currency for carriage of passengers etc.

The 12 hours 2 years bit is the currency requirements for the SEP(land) rating. It is valid for 2 years and can be revalidated by experience, namely with 12 hours PIC experience in the second year and 1 hour flown with an instructor. Alternatively if not meeting the 12 hours of experience, through a single proficiency flight test with an instructor. In the event of the rating lapsing then I believe it's a flight test with an examiner for renewal.

In theory I believe you could sit on your PPL or CPL for 4+ years with no flying and your licence is still valid. What wouldn't be valid would be the class rating which would obviously require training and test to be renewed.

Hope this helps and Lasors is your friend for this,

Obs

geordiejet
22nd Aug 2010, 10:55
Hey - thanks for your reply. That's cleared it up quite nicely. So looks like a flight test with an examiner for me - as I suspected.

I'll definately check out lasors when I get home as trying to view it on a phone screen in bright sunlight is not easy :p

Thanks once again. GJ

CAT3C AUTOLAND
22nd Aug 2010, 15:26
The 12 hours 2 years bit is the currency requirements for the SEP(land) rating. It is valid for 2 years and can be revalidated by experience, namely with 12 hours PIC experience in the second year and 1 hour flown with an instructor. Alternatively if not meeting the 12 hours of experience, through a single proficiency flight test with an instructor. In the event of the rating lapsing then I believe it's a flight test with an examiner for renewal.

Guys correct me if I am wrong but you do not need 12 hours PIC. You only need 6, the other 6 can be dual. Also you cannot renew your rating with an instructor by a proficiency check, if you choose you renew by doing an LPC, it must be with an examiner. The hour with an instructor is a mandatory flight, and must not be confused with a test.

Cheers.

Obs cop
22nd Aug 2010, 21:37
C3C,

You are correct (hence my caveat re: not having lasors to hand :ok:). To clarify my earlier post there are 3 ways of renewing/revalidating the SEP rating.

1) Revalidation by experience - Within the 2 years of validity of an existing rating you can fly 12 hours in the second year plus an hour with an instructor in the second year. It must include minimum 6 hours PIC and 12 take offs/landings as sole manipulator of the controls. The hour with the instructor can be anything, intro to tailwheel, general handling revision, an aerobatics lesson it does not have to be any formal test.

2) Revalidation by proficiency test - If unable to revalidate by experience but still within the 2 year validity of the rating it can be revalidated by a licence proficiency check with and examiner. The format of the check as I understand it has not been prescribed, but is deemed to be more of a safety check than an exam.

3) Renewal by proficiency test - If the SEP rating has lapsed then it can be renewed through a proficiency check with an examiner. Again, the exact content of the test and the required training before hand is at the discretion of the examiner, but if I recall correctly is generally thought to be along the lines of a mini GFT.

Hope that clears up my mediocre earlier post :\, although I'm not sure if the hour with the instructor revalidating by experience can be included within the 12 hours experience.

Obs