PDA

View Full Version : Vale Chris Kelly - AKA Binoculars.

YBMK Tower
22nd Aug 2010, 04:58
Just a quick post to advise that Chris Kelly aka Binoculars is in the Mackay Mater ICU in a coma. This is a result of liver/kidney disease complications. The prognosis is not bright.

Our thoughts and best wishes go out to his family , especially his daughters.

YBMK Tower ATC's

The Voice
22nd Aug 2010, 05:07
oh my goodness me ..

I'm really sorry to read this news .. I enjoyed numerous chats/debates about all sorts of things with him over the years ..

Thinking of his family at this difficult time ..

GoGirl
22nd Aug 2010, 05:53
Chris and I go waaaaaay back and I'm so sad to hear this - especially given recent events with my own father.
My thoughts are with his girls.
Please keep us posted if you can, thank you

GG :(

compressor stall
22nd Aug 2010, 05:56
Oh - sad news. I too enjoyed many chats with him on here around 10 years ago, back when the chatroom was a laugh a second.

Please pass on my best wishes to him and family if you can.

Stallie.

no oil pressure
22nd Aug 2010, 07:05
My thoughts are with you and your family Chris. :(

Horatio Leafblower
22nd Aug 2010, 11:21
I too had many a bout with Binos in Chat - I was flying into MK regularly at the time.

Tailwinds. :(

redsnail
22nd Aug 2010, 11:39
I am genuinely sorry to read this. He's definitely one of the characters that made this board.

My thoughts are with him and his family. :(

Ex FSO GRIFFO
22nd Aug 2010, 12:59
Very sorry to hear this about Chris.

Once described as 'The First of The Longhairs' - (Chris wore his hair in a ponytail, back in those 'heady' days of early/mid 70's...)
by a certain 'gentleman' (BVR) in SY FSC, who went on to say,

But he's 'alright though'......as high a praise as was ever given by this particular chap.

Hope you pull thru OK Chris, thoughts are with you.

All the Best,
Griffo.:ok::ok:

MK Guys, please pass on if able.......:ok:

tony draper
22nd Aug 2010, 16:33
Very sorry,one had a few tongue lashing of Mr Binocs a great pruner.:(

vulcanised
22nd Aug 2010, 17:10
Also had some sparring sessions with Chris in JB and missed his presence there.

Hoping for a full recovery.

Radar66
22nd Aug 2010, 17:17
Crossed swords with Binos many times, both off and on the board, but never would've wished this on him. Hope he pulls through.

con-pilot
22nd Aug 2010, 19:28
We had the great pleasure of having Chris coming to our home and staying with my wife and I for a week.

We are very sadden by this latest turn of events and hope for a rapid recovery. If Chris still has the the mental capability, by God he is capable of walking out of that hospital.

God Bless Chris, please get well soon.

Alec and Suzi.

pigboat
22nd Aug 2010, 20:03
Terrible news. Hang in there buddy, I'll be pulling for ya. :sad:

lexxity
22nd Aug 2010, 21:28
All my best wishes for a speedy and healthy recovery Chris. My best to your family too. x

timmcat
22nd Aug 2010, 22:05
Thats really bad news - a colourful stalwart from the earlier days of PPRuNe and I seem to recall I may have banned him from my own forum once... I do believe he considered that yet another badge of honour and didnt take it personally.

Really hoping for a positive outcome from this.

OpsNormal
22nd Aug 2010, 23:35
Was very fortunate some years ago to happen into MKY during one of his shifts and subsequently invited up the tower for a coffee, where we had a good laugh about a stoush we'd had here somewhere around 99/2000ish (my previous incarnation before this one).

I for one certainly hope that Chris pulls through this.

Regards,

Dave.

Metro man
23rd Aug 2010, 00:14
A most worthy opponent to cross swords with on this forum, as we did on more than one occasion. I hope he recovers and starts posting again soon.:sad:

SoulManBand
23rd Aug 2010, 00:32
Sorry to hear, hope you recover, Binos.

Buster Hyman
23rd Aug 2010, 02:42
Well, I was going to post about how I didn't always get on with Bino's, in a political sense & other areas, but it seems it wasn't just me! :ok: He has obviously created a polarising effect on people and, on a bulletin board, that is not necessarily a bad thing.

I think he is best summed up by a post he put in my "Almost Bought the farm" thread. We had been sparring quite frequently up until that point, and I think this sums up a man that can argue quite vociferously with and then...

Haven't checked in for months, Buster, but serendipitously here I am tonight. Wars of words over politics or anything else are reduced to nothingness when the family safety is at issue. My best to you and your family. Hope everything turns out ok.

Binos

Or health Bino's, or health. Take care mate & I hope you get back on here & abuse me for being a sissy or something!!!! :ok::ok::ok:

Atlas Shrugged
23rd Aug 2010, 05:25
Get well soon Bino's

angels
23rd Aug 2010, 08:06
Nipping in from the Ozzie antipodes to wish Binos and his family well.

Worrals in the wilds
23rd Aug 2010, 09:01
Being a newer member I only had one Jetblast stoush with Binos before he 'retired', but it was an interesting, thought provoking debate that was well worth the effort.
I'm very sorry to hear he's crook and all the best to him and his family :sad:. I hope he can beat the prognosis. If tenacity and motivation count for anything he's in with a chance.
W (upside down)

criticalmass
23rd Aug 2010, 09:20
Very saddened to hear this terrible news. Had many a pleasant chat with him on Pprune chat several years ago as well as numerous postings on many and diverse subjects. Chris was always good value. I am wishing him well and hope he will pull through although I understand this is going to be an uphill battle.

Onya, Binos mate! Wherever your path takes you, Godspeed.

wrongwayaround
23rd Aug 2010, 10:00
my old mate bino's :(

He's the only bloke thats made me laugh so hard that I came close to wetting my pants.

I still remember the post he put on here about his world trip - looking for peoples couches to sleep on, saying that he'd supply all the beer and booze :ok: Although I never did hear how this trip went.

Lets hope for a good recovery.

10W
23rd Aug 2010, 15:24
Sorry to hear the news. Always enjoyed Binos contributions on here and in the old days of chat. Like most folks, we didn't always agree, but it was never acrimonious or bitter. Wishing him all the best and hoping for a recovery. Thoughts with his family at this difficult time.

Onya Binos !!

El Grifo
23rd Aug 2010, 19:20
Yep, one of the pprune worthies and no doubt about that.

Crossed swords with him on several occasions. Thankfully his wit was sharper than his sword :ok:

Hang on in there dude.

El G.

RJM
23rd Aug 2010, 19:43
Poor old Binos. Good luck mate.

surely not
23rd Aug 2010, 19:56
Jeez Binos you have to get better so u can watch England keep the Ashes down under!!

Although there were other threads we both contributed to, most of our discussions were on the Jet Bast Cricket Thread and his contribution has been sadly missed these last months.

I hope you pull through matey.

SN

john_tullamarine
23rd Aug 2010, 23:18
Fond memories of a few ales with Binos at a bash some years ago. Thoughts are with you, mate. John.

the wizard of auz
24th Aug 2010, 23:28
I was at the same Bash. had many an ale and discussion since. Good luck with it Bino's.

YBMK Tower
25th Aug 2010, 04:32
:(

Chris passed away early this morning. Service 1430 Friday at Mount Bassett.

Be in peace

Buster Hyman
25th Aug 2010, 05:51
..................:(

john_tullamarine
25th Aug 2010, 06:17
.. bugga ... :sad:

mustafagander
25th Aug 2010, 06:29
I, too, enjoyed a beer or two with Binos and crossed swords a few times on these fora.

Sadly missed.

RIP pal.

Rollingthunder
25th Aug 2010, 06:58
so sad........

Flypuppy
25th Aug 2010, 07:06
Thoughts and prayers with Chris's family.

RIP.
:(

QSK?
25th Aug 2010, 07:47
A much loved and admired member of FSO Course 29.

The reunion in November won't be the same without you mate.

Thanks for the friendship and memories.

Sarwatch terminated!

Ex FSO GRIFFO
25th Aug 2010, 08:50
Sincere Condolences to Chris's Family,

Many memories of him brightening up a sometimes (often) 'dull and stodgy' world at SY FSC......

aka........'Ferret'.:cool:

R.I.P.

Griffo,
FSO Course 31.

criticalmass
25th Aug 2010, 08:57
Damn! This isn't what we wanted to hear. Condolences from myself and Foxfire to the Binoettes, plus family and friends. :(

GoGirl
25th Aug 2010, 08:57
So saddened to hear the update.
If someone does get a chance, please pass on my sincere condonlences.
Chris stayed with Stu and I in Melbourne for the original Ozbash in 2002.
You will be so very sadly missed my friend. May you Rest in Peace.

GG :(

PLovett
25th Aug 2010, 09:02
Awww.....**** :sad:

Storminnorm
25th Aug 2010, 09:25
I've only just spotted this really sad bit of news.
It's a sad loss to all of us, and I would just like
to convey my deepest condolences to the Family.
You will be missed by us all Binos.

Farrell
25th Aug 2010, 09:38
Such sad news.

I hope that Binos will read on from above and know how much he will be missed by folks on this forum.

Very, very sorry to hear this.

RIP Binos - it was a pleasure to know you.

Farrell

angels
25th Aug 2010, 10:14
Sincere sympathies to Chris' family.

We used to exchange the occasional PM to keep in touch.

I'll miss him. :(

flapsforty
25th Aug 2010, 10:16
In his later years Chris became, in his own words, "cursed" with the ability to see both sides of most arguments. A rare achievement on these pages.

A (com)passionate debater on the forums, a passionate flirt on chat, a great music, tennis and movie lover, hippie at heart, fond of his weekly golf day and immensely proud of his daughters.

Not an easy man, but knowing him enriched my life.

The Binoettes do not I think read PPRuNe, but the funeral people will print your message of condolence and deliver it to his family via this link (http://www.newhavenfunerals.com.au/offer-condolences-online.php#).

Chris´s funeral is in the hands of New Haven Funerals, Mackay. They will arrange flowers, payable by credit card, via this mail address: mackay @ newhavenfunerals.com.au (remove the spaces)

ausflyer
25th Aug 2010, 10:20
RIP

aus'

Capt Fathom
25th Aug 2010, 11:33
As Chris would have wanted....! :ok:

Hi to all,

As many of you may have already heard, Chris passed away early this morning. A funeral is being held on Friday 27th August at 2pm at the Newhaven Crematorium on Harbour Rd in Mackay. A gathering will be held following the funeral at the Mackay Aero Club. We are creating a photographic slide show of Chris and we would like to include a wide variety of photos. If any of you have any photos of Chris that you are willing to share, they would be greatly accepted and appreciated. The best way to send these photos would be to reply to this email with the photos attached by tomorrow night to ensure your photos can be included.

[email protected]

Thank you in advance for your involvement and for being a friend to Chris. We hope to see many of you at the funeral on Friday.

Warm regards,
The Kelly family.

:{

Tinstaafl
25th Aug 2010, 18:27
Oh...crap. :sad: I enjoyed Bino's posts.

Dick N. Cider
25th Aug 2010, 21:48
As an embryonic controller, I soon discovered Chris was a fixture in the ATC firmament well worth listening to (and ignored at your peril). His posts on these august pages were but a pale shadow of some of his legendary missives to the vapid change for sake of changes types that have inhabited procedural design from time to time in Australia. "QNH 1021"

All of us have benefited from the close scrutiny Binos gave to any topic he focussed his gaze upon and he will be greatly missed.

All the best mate, may there be many arguments to continue sharpening your rapier wit upon ahead for you. We miss you already.

DNC

the wizard of auz
25th Aug 2010, 22:27
RIP old mate. The beers we shared were always good ones and the discussions always lively. :(

john_tullamarine
25th Aug 2010, 22:58
Binos, centre stage, holding forth on matters erudite at a long ago (2002) Melbourne Bash. All those in the immediate vicinity - both in frame and outside - enthralled in the usual fashion.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/john_tullamarine/Binos/th_Binosetal.jpg?t=1282776604

Salut, Binos !

Safe journey and fair winds.

Wally Mk2
25th Aug 2010, 23:19
I didn't know the guy he must have been one hell of a character but this sort of thing (his unfortunate demise) just goes to show that the aviation community is a tight knit caring group.:ok:
Memories are the most cherished thing in life, at the end of the day that's all we have left.

Wmk2 is humbled by anyone's passing that has had a profound effect on my fellow aviators.

Romeo Delta
26th Aug 2010, 00:00
Very sad to see this news. He and I never really got into many conversations (I lurk more than post anyway), but it was always fun and interesting to read his various responses to the issues of the day.

Condolences to the Kelly family. Chris will be missed.

Rob
aka Romeo Delta

the wizard of auz
26th Aug 2010, 02:13
I was busy putting my shoes on when that photo was took. much heckling from Chris and Maggy from the sidelines.

Atlas Shrugged
26th Aug 2010, 03:28
:{:{ RIP Bino's

Metro man
26th Aug 2010, 05:49
Binos, departed 0703 passing 2000 on climb to the afterlife, squawking 2010 on the 360 radial.

Cleared as filed, safe journey mate.:(

GoGirl
26th Aug 2010, 08:42
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs363.snc4/44629_1556599676045_1266833891_1627705_6426156_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs428.snc4/47087_1556599836049_1266833891_1627706_5068203_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs208.ash2/47087_1556599916051_1266833891_1627708_4366061_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs425.snc4/46787_1556599996053_1266833891_1627709_7570875_n.jpg

Bye Mate

porch monkey
26th Aug 2010, 09:40
We are all the lesser for his passing. Goodbye Chris.

no oil pressure
26th Aug 2010, 09:58
Chris, you always welcomed everyone into the aeroclub with open arms, always took the time to say g'day and the way the club is looking is a credit to your hard work. :ok:

No doubt you're on a golf course somewhere with a beer in hand; CAVOK.

Blue skies.

Steam-Driven
26th Aug 2010, 12:55
Chris...

I'm deeply saddened to hear you've gone from the roster, and slipped from view.

Memories going back more years than I like to think about, but they're of times that were the better for your ready grin, your succinct ability to remind the unwary when they had exceeded their brief, and the steadiness of your friendship.

And I'm sorry now to have missed the opportunity over a couple of hundred beers, two at a time, to tell you what a difference you made to 'talking to aeroplanes'...and sometimes having them talk back.

Fly Safe...
LB

Blue Sky Baron
27th Aug 2010, 01:35
Enjoyed several conversations with Chris at that 2002 bash, those were the days!

The world is just a little bit less fun without you, RIP. :{

BSB

Say again s l o w l y
31st Aug 2010, 00:21
Cheerio Binos. You'll be missed.

Taildragger67
31st Aug 2010, 07:46
Binos.

Just Binos.

PPRuNe is a better place for your having contributed to it. :ok:

werbil
31st Aug 2010, 13:41
I can still picture Chris at the bar at Shute Harbour on his regular relieving tour Hammo. He was always good for a chat.

RIP Mate.