PDA

View Full Version : R44 POLICE in EUROPE

GREGCART
20th Aug 2010, 14:26
hi there,

Is there any private company in Europe operating the R44 police version in police support operations, surveillance, traffic watch? I heard that one was operating in UK??!!
Any info on that subject is welcomed.Thanks
greg

ShyTorque
20th Aug 2010, 14:27
UK police helicopters are all twin engined.

PANews
20th Aug 2010, 14:44
Heli-air have or had an R44 police G-POLI that they say was in use on 'security' operations in Italy. Certainly the pilot was Italian.

It was at Helitech 2009 all white with marks declaring it was a POLIcopter. Not sure that Heli-Air have ownership there is a London based company called Luxtronic involved along the way.

You may find more from G-INFO.... I have not checked it myself.

Soave_Pilot
20th Aug 2010, 14:54
Buget cuts... Robbos are taking over!!!:}:}:}

tigerfish
21st Aug 2010, 08:06
Soave Pilot.

AArgh! I thought I was having a nightmare there! Thank God for the CAA, because I have no doubt that without them to protect us, sooner or later the bloody bean counters would have thought that one up.

Tigerfish

MartinCh
21st Aug 2010, 08:15
As traffic police warden/observer, maybe.
As proper 'action' police chopper, you must be joking (putting twin requirement aside for UK)

That isn't to say that you don't have some R44 a la Police in the US or some budget force countries further South/East.
Could they at least put fenestron tail rotor on that 'special' version of R44 so that it looks somewhat better and quieter for such police op? :p

widgeon
21st Aug 2010, 14:55
Robinson Helicopter Company Newscopter Page (http://www.robinsonheli.com/r44police.htm)

I am not sure how many they have sold in this role , eagerly awaiting the anti tank and combat SAR versions.

biggles99
21st Aug 2010, 19:46
Greg,

I suspect you might have come across the advert purporting to be selling the "UK Police" R44?

If so, it's a SCAM advert, sadly one of many around at the moment.

Only buy from someone you can cross check -- I know of two people this year who have sent (and lost) deposits for non-existant helicopters.

fly safe, buy safe!

Big Ls.

GREGCART
22nd Aug 2010, 15:38
Hi,

I am not such in hurry to purchase a R44 especialy a police one!
Actually I am just gathering information on the operational capacities of the 44 police and about the business oportunity to operate it on private contract.
The only one operating in Europe seems to be the G-POLI from Heli air (UK). It has been used on a contract in Italy but I cannot get further details on that..thanks

Capt.Gonzo
23rd Aug 2010, 10:19
Hi,

All Police Helicopters in Germany are twin engines.

The last single engine Helicopter was the Aloette II back in the early 80īs.

In the early 80īs they where replaced mainly with BO-105.

I think the sitiutaion in Europe is very similar. I donīt think that there are a single engines flying the Police role.

md 600 driver
23rd Aug 2010, 11:43
capt gonzo
wasnt the last single for the german police the gazelle

Capt.Gonzo
23rd Aug 2010, 11:51
shame on me!
Of course you are right, the Police of Niedersachsen Lower Saxony had the Gazelle in service :ok:

Vizsla
23rd Aug 2010, 11:57
A few in UK operating as camera ships for TV news

PANews
23rd Aug 2010, 22:40
The Federal Police in Germany still use the EC120 at Sanck Augustin [near Bonn] - but only in the training role. They replaced earlier Alouette's and do not carry operational equipment.

France still has AS350s home and abroad. Being replaced as we speak but a way to go yet.

There are singles in operational use elsewhere in Europe but I think its fair to say they are mainly police use of military machines [i.e. Denmark [AS350] and perhaps Switzerland but they have now moved on from the Alouette to the EC635]. There are MD500s in the East .... Hungary, and depending how pedantic you are about the police role as opposed to a real POLICE sticker.... Italy MD500, the former Yugoslav countries B206, Malta....Alouette III...

There is still some way to go yet before Europe becomes 100% twin.

XV666
24th Aug 2010, 11:28
A few in UK operating as camera ships for TV news

Aren't they R44 Newscopters, not R44 Police?

mickjoebill
25th Aug 2010, 04:21
Aren't they R44 Newscopters, not R44 Police?
Correct.
The R44 police has a multi sensor gimbal, searchlight and a PA. The operator/observer is located in front, the R44 news has a single sensor broadcast quality gimbal with camera operator station in the rear.

The previous gimbals used in R44 police are a little limited for stand off covert surveillance due to the limited magnification of the gimbal (compared to larger gimbals)

However new gimbals, such as the MX10 are a big improvement and would increase the versatility of the machine when operating over built-up areas where higher altitude is considered desirable if operating a single. So the newer gimbals chould have a significant impact on the viability of the R44 as a surveillance aircraft in locations where a rescue hoist, floats and two engines are not mission critical.

Mickjoebill

FLY 7
25th Aug 2010, 09:25
Not in the UK, but several Police forces use the Sikorsky/Schweizer 300C - think Houston thave three. And there are Police configured Enstrom 480Bs.