PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else sick of the 8 000 000 notams now required for mil airspace?

Report when visual
20th Aug 2010, 13:57
When military airspace was H24, it used to take 1 NOTAM to advise deactivation of AMB airspace, 1 each for R725 and R677 and 1 for the lower levels of EVD (R641) airpace with an occasional 2nd NOTAM for the larger EVD airspace.

Now that we are no longer H24 (in order to provide a more flexible use of airspace) it now takes 10 (I say again) 10 NOTAMS to activate AMB airspace, 9 to activate R626 (west) and 8 to activate R637 (over water). R641 now takes a minimum of 3 NOTAMS depending on the airspace configuration.

Any wonder VCAs have increased?

Additionally, because (in the interests of "flexible use of airspace") the western and over water area notams often need to be reviewed (due to acft delays or early finishes) the NOF are getting slammed with review requests for up to 18 NOTAM reviews at a time!

They have now instructed that if the airspace is no longer required within 30 mins of NOTAM cancellation time, they will not amend the NOTAM and it just has to time expire.

BN centre can not accept airspace releases due to the wonderful alphabet airspace system (when MIL airspace is NOTAMd active it is class C - the same airspace when deact is a mix of C, E and G, my understanding is that BN centre are not permitted to control C class where they would normally provide E or G).

Additionally, APP supervisors, who used to actually supervise and mentor junior controllers, now spend a large portion of their time raising, checking, reviewing, rechecking and cancelling NOTAMs.

Apparently the reason for the volume of NOTAMs is that activation NOTAMs can not be grouped unless they have the same vertical dimensions. How is it less confusing to have 10 NOTAMS (each for differing vertical volumes) than 1 NOTAM spelling out he entire arspace volume activation times? (eg AMB CTR and R620ABCDEF active).

A quick look at airspace maps or the DAH will advise the lower and upper levels for each section of airspace.

I'm only using AMB as an example, other bases also have an inordinate volume of NOTAMs required to activate airspace each day. Anyone else had enough of this new "leap forward"? :ugh:

Lasiorhinus
20th Aug 2010, 14:33
At least for the pilots, it's easy to check the entire airspace at once... just put the location AMX into naips, and you can check the activation of the entire set of PRD areas at once.

Jabawocky
20th Aug 2010, 20:51
Agreed.........

CaptainMidnight
21st Aug 2010, 00:31
From a pilot perspective it is easier to check status now, and at least airspaces are not being left active H24 as they were, which in itself discouraged flight planning or attempting to get a clearance through.

Sounds like the NOTAM management within Airservices needs looking at though.

BN centre can not accept airspace releases due to the wonderful alphabet airspace system (when MIL airspace is NOTAMd active it is class C - the same airspace when deact is a mix of C, E and G, my understanding is that BN centre are not permitted to control C class where they would normally provide E or G). I don't know why that would be the case, because ML CEN takes Woomera airspace releases, and they provide the service applicable to the airspace i.e. G E or A.

To quote from one NOTAM: E) R240 ACT
AIRSPACE MAY BE RELEASED TO MELBOURNE CENTRE FOR VARYING PERIODS.
ACFT OPERATING IN THE AIRSPACE DRG THESE PERIODS WILL BE PROVIDED
WITH A SERVICE APPLICABLE TO THE CLASS OF AIRSPACE (G, E OR A).

STATUS OF AIRSPACE MAY BE OBTAINED FM MELBOURNE CEN FREQ 122.0
FOR TEL 03 9235 7492.

AerocatS2A
21st Aug 2010, 06:48
At least for the pilots, it's easy to check the entire airspace at once... just put the location AMX into naips, and you can check the activation of the entire set of PRD areas at once.

You can order the whole AMX set of PRDs, but you still need to sift through individual NOTAMS for each area.

Grogmonster
21st Aug 2010, 23:39
Yes it is hard to keep track of it all. It is also a pain in the butt, not to mention very expensive, to fly around or under (below 10,000) the New Amberley West restricted airspace when the new Super Hornets are out playing.

I realise that we have to train our good people in the military and I respect them for what they do but surely there is a better solution. I hope they release the airspace when the thunderstorm season starts because it is going to create massive issues re weather avoidance if they don't.

Groggy

CaptainMidnight
22nd Aug 2010, 01:02
You can order the whole AMX set of PRDs, but you still need to sift through individual NOTAMS for each area. The restricted area briefing graphical display in NAIPS give a detailed enough look at what is active and what is not for a given time period.

bimmer1615
19th Sep 2010, 04:27
There really isn't a problem here...!!

AMX AEX AWX WBX and all the other F#$king X's
The RAAF can't get out of bed before 0900 week days and they close up shop at "RAAF" beer o'clock ...3.00 p.m. on Fridays EST
They always stop for lunch. (not your average 30 minute lunch break either)
SO............All you need to do is be flying before 0900 EST and during their lunch break and after 3.00 pm on Friday...
REMEMBER ......the weekends free as well !!
Gotta love our boys in the RAAF
THEY GAVE US THE TERM GENTLEMEN'S HOURS AND THEY ARE SURE TO USE THEM

Seagull V
21st Sep 2010, 13:45
Well said bimmer.
A RAAFy told me that if they had to work on Wednesdays it spoilt BOTH weekends for them.