PDA

View Full Version : "Call Red" TV series

rsqfd
20th Aug 2010, 13:23
It was suggested that I try this forum as I am attempting to discover the G-registry of the AS365 Dauphin (painted red) that was used in the 7 episode air medical series filmed in 1995 in the Portsmouth area. It aired in 1996 - if possible I would like to get a photo of the aircraft.

Thank you
RSQFD

Captain Cashmere
20th Aug 2010, 13:32
hate to say it, but as a lurker on this forum for over 6 years, you've just opened yourself up for a serious amount of sarcastic responses.

prepare yourself for "a red painted Dauphin?" and the abuse that will no doubt follow.

Senior Pilot
20th Aug 2010, 13:49
hate to say it, but as a lurker on this forum for over 6 years, you've just opened yourself up for a serious amount of sarcastic responses.

I invited rsqfd to ask on Rotorheads on the assumption that he would get a helpful response. I hope some others here will be more forthcoming :hmm:

rsqfd
20th Aug 2010, 13:57
Thank You 'Senior Pilot'
If I stated my question incorrectly to elicit "sarcastic responses" as to the color of the AS365 as used in the program I most certainly apologize to all who read this. I am not a pilot but did fly occasionally with an air ambulance during the course of my career. I am doing research on air medical drama programs on television and it was suggested that I post on this site and was simply trying to find out details on the ship used in the Call Red series.
Thank You
RSQFD

misterbonkers
20th Aug 2010, 16:56
Was it GHEMS? She was red (amongst other colours) in an earlier life when working darn sarf (London).

IFHP
20th Aug 2010, 17:33
How about it was already red, well known companies livery. How about G-BLUN or G-BLUM

rsqfd
20th Aug 2010, 18:26
London's G-HEMS was not painted red until 1997 when Branson took over sponsorship.

I have previously seen G-BLUM (in red) when Bond owned it. Thanks for the heads up on the G-BLUN I was able to locate it. G-BLUN is the one. Found it as G-AMS as used in the TV series. Apparently with special dispensation for the registry alterication.
Photo here

Aerospatiale SA365N2 Dauphin II, G-BLUN, unknown (http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1043075/)

http://www.abpic.co.uk/images/images/1043075F.jpg

Later back again as G-BLUN after it was owned by CHC for the North Sea oil rigs (red-white-and blue color scheme) it crashed into the sea, lost all crew and passengers in 2006.

I DO appreciate the info - many thanks.

RSQFD

Hummingfrog
20th Aug 2010, 19:41
It was a Bond Helicopters Dauphin - not sure what the reg was but it was one of the following:-

G-BLUN, G-BLUM, G-BKXD, G-BLEZ, G-BLEY.

I could tell you who the Capt was but that would be Fishing.;)

HF

rsqfd
20th Aug 2010, 20:01
Given the G-BLUN heads up earlier I found the aircraft is a 1985 Aerospatiale SA 365N2 Dauphin II with the registry of G-BLUN. For the TV series it was appeared with the registry of G-AMS befitting the service it was providing (Air Medical Service). I posted earlier but provided a link to the photo of it as G-AMS :O

G-BLUN later working off the north sea crashed in 2006 with crew and passengers lost.

Thanks all for the assist. Much appreciated:)
RSQFD

r44raven
20th Aug 2010, 20:03
I never thought a TV series involving a helicopter could be boring but they managed it. I remember giving up halfway through an episode called " Night Sun" which was about - you guessed it - the team being placed in danger during a night time sortie because they didn't have one. Also had an odd theme song by Marcella Detroit called "Guardian Angel." I believe only one series was made (thankfully) and that's my anorak moment for the month out of the way:\

rsqfd
22nd Aug 2010, 13:38
An update and a question.

I contacted the photographer and he advises that the two people in the photo are the actual (unseen) pilots of the aircraft (he did not get their names) and not cast members. Many have talked about Whirlygirls on here and the credited castmember seen in the series as the pilot was female. In the old US TV series 240-Robert it was a female that flew the choper, years before there was a real female pilot for the LA County Sheriffs Department .

A question for r44raven, I have found 'Guardian Angel' credited to (Lyrics & vocals) to Naomi Mclernon but not to Marcella Detroit. Or was it that Marcella sung the theme for Call Red?

Thanks
RSQFD

Brilliant Stuff
22nd Aug 2010, 14:58
I believe that the pilot on the right is still working for Bond Air Services today.
He was wearing those exact sunglasses last week and he impressed me very much by his professionalism.

Hummingfrog
23rd Aug 2010, 08:34
The pilot in the pic isn't the one who flew during the majority of the filming (FP). I don't recognise him as a Bond 365 Capt of that era but age plays tricks;). The highlight of the series was the single engine approach to a raised helipad where the helicopter appeared from below - complete with smoke from failed engine!!!

HF

Brom
23rd Aug 2010, 19:09
The 'guy' on the right of the picture was definately a Bond pilot for many years, as I remember he owned a very nice e-type. Don't recognise the person on the left.
As was said previously, you could go fishing for the name of the pilot who did most of, if not all, the flying and you might come up with his name.
And yes, I agree, it was a cr@p series that thankfully got canned quite quickly.

Hummingfrog
23rd Aug 2010, 21:06
Thanks Brom - after the e-type clue I see who it is:ok:

HF

Thud_and_Blunder
23rd Aug 2010, 22:04
The other fella looks like he might be someone who works at a desk just across the 'trainers' office from the first pilot. Can't be sure... will have to ask when next getting beasted at Stav.

IFHP
23rd Aug 2010, 22:40
rsqfd...I've found a promo postcard from the series, I will scan and post it ( if I can ) otherwise PM me and I will send you a scan.

rsqfd
26th Aug 2010, 13:26
IFHP - I would be pleased to see a scan of the promo card. Sent a PM a few days ago but not sure about it as it appeared as 'read' immediately upon posting. Please advise
RSQFD

Barshifter
26th Aug 2010, 15:05
Not this programme then

lRSSaSVOqGs

YouTube - HEMS LONDON - Condition Critical 1/3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRSSaSVOqGs)

rsqfd
26th Aug 2010, 16:35
No that is not the Call Red series but really appreciate the link, not sure how I missed that. Other HEMS documentaries that the guy has posted as well. Much appreciated
thanks
Richard

r44raven
26th Aug 2010, 21:20
I just had a look at Marcella's LinkedIn page and it refers to "Guardian Angel" UK TV series in the discography but this doesn't appear in any other listings - presumably the song was never released. The other "Guardian Angel" song you refer to is dated 2006 so that's way too late. Sorry I couldn't be of further help :)

rsqfd
26th Aug 2010, 21:31
r44raven, Not a problem. I went through a bit of a web search as well and did not find anything more than what you did. And that 'Guardian Angel' TV series threw me too. So I contacted Marcella directly and actually got a response. :)
Said that she cowrote the title/theme song 'Guardian Angel' specifically for the series. She also did the vocal.

thanks
RSQFD

cptjim
27th Aug 2010, 02:56
The gentleman on the left is actor, Michael Carter, who played the role of the Chief Pilot, Captain Phillip Tulloch. My favourite episode was when the female pilot spilt her soft drink over the console and then take off without mentioning it. The aircraft then proceeded to buck around like a bronco while bells and lights were going off in the cockpit! Nice bit of realistic tv !
:ok: