PDA

View Full Version : Learning to fly: is starting on RA-Aus then going to GA PPL sensible ?

MrMark
20th Aug 2010, 10:57
Hi guys

I should be getting a new job soon in Melbourne so I've decided to do what I've always wanted to do and learn how to fly :DNot looking at it as a career, just want to have some fun and see a bit of the victorian country side.

So after researching I'm pretty the best (and cheapest) way to do this would be start get a RA-Aus licence and then use some of those hours towards a PPL. I found a website somewhere that said its allowed, but well it seems a little too good to be true - so I'm wondering are there any hidden costs/traps/etc ? All the threads about dogey trainning companies have me a bit paranoid.

Also can anyone recommend a good trainning company in the melbourne area ?

superdimona
20th Aug 2010, 11:18
If you plan to fly for fun, what are your long-term goals? Cross-country flying? Aeros? Or simply going for a local flight every 2nd weekend? Is the end goal to fly Cessnas?

I think the biggest problem was in the past there were a lot more 'cowboy' RAA schools out there. Until recently the requirements for a cross-country endorsement were very lax. As a result there are RAA pilots out there who give the others a bad reputation.

In theory, GA schools should recognize RAA training. Some don't, because they have had bad experiences with poorly trained RAA pilots. Some just want an excuse to make you do more hours. Others are used to converting RAA pilots - and as time goes on, more and more people will learn RAA first.

I'm not sure about the Melbourne area, but I'd ring a few schools (GA and RAA) and ask about their experiences converting students. Go for a Trial Flight or 2. You may find out that you enjoy flying modern ultralights far more then Cessnas.

VH-XXX
20th Aug 2010, 11:34
Which side of town are you on?

Schools around Melbourne for RAaus include: (sorry if I missed some)

- Tooradin
- Tyabb
- Lilydale
- Coldstream
- Sunbury
- Lethbridge

- Moorabbin?

Question mark on Moorabbin as they have RA rego'ed Jabirus there but I'm not sure what they use them for exactly, it may be part of the GA syllabus to cut costs versus giving you a full RA licence.

Homesick-Angel
20th Aug 2010, 14:04
Keep researching to find out what the best option is for you.

If you do decide to go down the RA to GA track, then try and find a school that caters for both.This will ensure that when/if you decide to get into GA that they will recognise your experience and skill level and will not attempt to milk hours out of you for no reason.If you hold all your RA quals including the x country endo it shouldn't take you long at all to cross over..

If all you wanna do is fly and you don't aim to have a career in aviation , then have a good look at RA as overall it is much cheaper, but if you want a wider range of flying options, or plan to make it your job then GA is the go.

boltz
20th Aug 2010, 23:04
If you want to fly anything with more than 2 seats, go GA. If you want to do aerobatics, go GA. If you want to fly into controlled airspace, go GA. If you want to fly at night or in cloud, go GA.
Otherwise I would go RA. If you're affraid of the poor training, get a RA instructor that is a qualified GA instructor.
If you want to go GA(PPL) in the long run, I would recommend starting in GA.
PM me and I can recommed some good instructors in Melbourne.

Old Akro
21st Aug 2010, 00:00
I think the most important thing is just to start. Do a couple of hours and see what you like. Choosing an instructor you like and whose teaching style works for you is important.

Frank Arouet
21st Aug 2010, 00:05
I believe if you want to drive a car, you should be made to do 12 months on a motorbike first. If you survive this you will more than likely make a very good, courteous and defensive driver.

Similar to flying. Get some stick and rudder qualifications in a glider, (do you know not many recently trained pilots flying today have ever spun an aeroplane), graduate to RA-Aus with this experience and then either stay or go the next step to GA PPL. Glider time can also be counted toward the PPL.

You didn't say how old you were. However you can solo a glider at 15 and is a very affordable means of getting off the ground if you stay with the clubs.

BTW, many clubs have motorgliders which will give you the edge to lever into RA-Aus and GA.

Andy_RR
21st Aug 2010, 06:20
I would agree with Frank. If you want to fly for FUN, gliding has to be near the top of your to-do list!

Jabawocky
21st Aug 2010, 08:22
Frank is on the money there! :ok:

superdimona
21st Aug 2010, 08:56
Of course, if you go gliding pick your club carefully. In some clubs the typical day involves 2, maybe 3 flights of ~25 minutes each, with the rest of the time spent on the ground helping out. A good gliding day is fantastic fun but it is very time consuming.

ForkTailedDrKiller
21st Aug 2010, 11:55
A good gliding day is fantastic fun but it is very time consuming.

....and horrendously expensive if you put any value at all on your time!

Dr :8

NOSIGN
22nd Aug 2010, 10:54
Forkie & Superdimona, that sums up what ruins gliding.